3am - the shallows +stems

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
KVRAF
11412 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:23 pm

I got about halfway through this and decided I was done... if you want the stems to this I'll post them but this track is dead to me.

the shallows

This was another one of those ventures where I like the sounds but I don't think that I did them justice.

Here are the stems...

http://www.3amnoise.net/shallowstems.zip 250MB 24bit/44.1KHz
Last edited by justin3am on Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KVRAF
8072 posts since 12 Dec, 2003 from Canada

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:56 am

Sounds great to me Justin, really enjoyed this!

For some reason my sleep deprived self is seeing a black and white silent film about a sad, homicidal alien in a really horrible costume.

I don't know if everyone's like this, but I usually go through a bit of an emotional roller coaster ride when creating a new track. There are times when you completely lose perspective and just need to step back for a time. Anyhow, don't know how you feel you fell short of your vision for the track but it's got your usual great sound design stamp on it, and a really pretty melodic base. I don't see any obvious holes in it, but then I'm not in your head.
Image Image

KVRAF
4714 posts since 2 Sep, 2005 from city of lights (nl)

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:44 am

Nice one Justin. Love the time stretching stuff.
Some great melodies towards the end, must check this at home on better speakers.
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't check here if you can't control yourself!

KVRAF
4799 posts since 14 Jun, 2004 from Denver, CO

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:32 pm

I really like this! Almost sounds like something a turntablist would create. Some fantastic sounds and mixing. Great soundscapes, too. Sounds like you stopped at the right spot for now. :).

KVRAF
10111 posts since 17 Sep, 2004 from Austin, TX

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:31 pm

Not so bad when failure still assuages your fan base.

I wonder what you were going for? It sounds quite nice to my ears.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:26 am

I wasn't really going for anything. Generally when I start an arrangement/composition, I have a bunch of raw material that I compile into the session view (like the "live" part of Ableton Live). I trigger the clips in different ways until something speaks to me and then the song builds itself. I love the sounds that I started here with but I never got to the point when the track clicked.

I'm working on a bunch of other stuff right now so I may come back to this but I'll probably just start over.

Thanks for listening guys. :)

KVRAF
3054 posts since 30 Mar, 2002 from 51°53'N 02°15'W

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:32 am

I really like the final 3rd of this one but to me it just sounds too clean. It really needs to be waay dirtier (mind you I'm listening to a lot of doom metal at the moment which may have something to do with it)

And please tell me where the spoken word samples comes from. I'm sure I know it but its really doing my head in trying to remember.

Edit: remembered
其余的是噪音

KVRAF
2441 posts since 18 May, 2002 from up on Cripple Creek (CO)

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:50 pm

Yep, sounds great here too! I'd have to agree with Jazzy that you stopped at the right spot. :) Also, no pressure of course, but if you were to post the stems, I'd have a go at a remix.
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Take music back from the suits and return it to the people.

KVRAF
3054 posts since 30 Mar, 2002 from 51°53'N 02°15'W

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:49 am

Damn, that melody's been going round in my head since yesterday! One of those that for some reason just worms its way into your brain and takes up residence.
Az're-ul wrote:I really like the final 3rd of this one but to me it just sounds too clean. It really needs to be waay dirtier (mind you I'm listening to a lot of doom metal at the moment which may have something to do with it)
Until Justin posts the stems, here's kind of what I had in mind when I said the above. It's a noisier, dirtier, sludgier, nastier mix which due to my lack of talent loses most of Justin's many deft little touches as it goes on.

Basically just Justin's original mutilated a bit then crossfaded back in over the course of the track. May be wise to turn down your speakers/phones before listening.

http://www.azreul.com/Graphics/3am/the_ ... allows.3pm

Just so it doesn't appear in the Music Tracker, you'll need to save the file first and then reverse the file extension if you want to play it.
其余的是噪音

KVRist
401 posts since 31 May, 2004 from Standing right behind you. Booga! Booga!

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:16 pm

justin3am- I like the bluish clarity, and the momentum of the textures, how they line up end to end in symetrical gradeations and how they crosshatch toward the end. I'm kind of critical when it comes to stretching, but when its done like it is here, I'll be the last to complain. The contrast of soft sounding overdriven synth with the hard intricate cold clear crosshatched stretching provide for a stangely futuristic combo. Sometimes you just have to say screw format. Leave things the way they are. Personally, I hope you don't share the stems. That bit will be stuck in the back of my head for the rest of the day. Atleast until I can sit down and steal your ideas. :P

edited for grammars and pelling
Stay in the glow.
Feed the glow.

KVRAF

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:44 pm

s4w2th wrote:edited for grammars and pelling
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry to laugh after such kind and true words, but it's just too ironic.

justin's got friends that can handle his stems ;)

hmm that doesn't sound right

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:18 pm

http://www.3amnoise.net/shallowstems.zip 250MB 24bit/44.1KHz

here ya go!

Midi and audio, the drum midi was generated from Numerology so no midi data for that, just leads and bass.

The intro was not synced to tempo so just make sure that that the first kick is on the 1. :) 128BPM 4/4

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm glad that I could make a melody that stuck in somebody's head. Seriously, melody still makes no sense to me, I just paint by numbers.

KVRAF

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:24 pm

muahahahahahahahaha...

*cough*

hahaha!

I got 2 days off after tomorrow before a 9 day stretch. Let's see if I can make use of it...

thanks, justin 8)

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:36 pm

Yeah, I know the feeling. I have periods of like 6 hours of freetime recently so I have to choose weather to sleep or work on projects. This weekend I got a chance to sit down and assemble a neat little fuzz/distortion/feedback deally and was very happy for the time :) ...and the solder fumes :drunk:

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:42 pm

Oh and this is where the dialog came from...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak3z2Pm7Iwg
I found my parents Betamax collection :)

Return to “Music Cafe”