In 10 years will VSTi's replace Keyboards?????

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRist
207 posts since 13 Aug, 2008

Post Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:53 am

I know some people from the 80's might hate to see this day, but with things like Kontakt 3,VI.One,Quantum Leap Goliath,FM8,& Korg Legacy Collection - Analog Edition it could very well come.

These VST's that I mention are very good now but in ten years who knows where things can go.In my opinion Kontakt 3 and VI.One combined already can replace a Yamaha Motif or a Roland Fantom.

For those of you who never heard of VI.One take a look.Still can't believe people don't know about it.

http://www.vir2.com/vir2/products/vione/index.html

KVRist
40 posts since 27 Jan, 2008

Post Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:58 am

Software is performing like hell! I think in less time VST will replace real instruments ;)

KVRAF
2795 posts since 3 Mar, 2006

Post Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:59 am

they already have... especially in the sample playback and FM categories, software trumps hardware.

when it comes to mimicking analog, I'd say software VAs are beating hardware VAs, but there are still small differences between VA and real analog.

KVRist
74 posts since 2 Aug, 2008 from Pittsburgh, PA

Post Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:00 am

For anyone who runs VST instruments, you usually use some sort of control surface, and that's usually in the form of a keyboard (controller).

While I don't see the actual controller part disappearing, many synths these days are simply controllers that control built-in software. They're software synths that are hard-wired. I don't see the need for physical control (interface) going away at any point... we'll always need something to "play", but I see the engines in synths drastically changing and becoming definitely more software-oriented.

There will probably always be a calling for some sort of hardware-based synthesis, but I think that most of the hardware-based synthesizers will more or less eventually become museum pieces.

User avatar
KVRAF
7065 posts since 25 Nov, 2002 from not sure

Post Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:02 am

I think this thread would have been better timed about 15 years ago...

KVRAF
2090 posts since 8 Feb, 2003 from Nearish Detroit, MI

Post Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:04 am

Stupid American Pig wrote:I think this thread would have been better timed about 15 years ago...
Yeah, I actually think this topic was the cover story on Keyboard Magazine about seven years ago.
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

KVRAF
11851 posts since 23 Nov, 2004 from west of east

Post Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:12 am

I tend to differ on this. I can see it being more cost effective for many, as well as more practical for those who may not have the space for hardware, to use VST technology, but others will still find more "music" in hardware and prefer playing without any of the issues that can show up in DAWs. What has changed is the ability to have room (hard drive space) for much larger libraries that can offer more realistic playability. I think VSTs appeal more to those who concentrate on sound design as much or more than songs.
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

User avatar
KVRAF
7065 posts since 25 Nov, 2002 from not sure

Post Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:15 am

eduardo_b wrote:I tend to differ on this. I can see it being more cost effective for many, as well as more practical for those who may not have the space for hardware, to use VST technology, but others will still find more "music" in hardware and prefer playing without any of the issues that can show up in DAWs. What has changed is the ability to have room (hard drive space) for much larger libraries that can offer more realistic playability. I think VSTs appeal more to those who concentrate on sound design as much or more than songs.
not really. I dont have room or money for abunch of keyboards. I have more than I can comfortably accomodate as it is. I much prefer vsts these days to the real thing, but still like to have 1 or two pieces of hardware around because alot of the time I just want to play and not record. Its much easier to turn my rhodes on and have fun than it is to boot my PC, turn on sonar or logic, insert a plugin, turn on my monitors then start playing...

KVRAF
2090 posts since 8 Feb, 2003 from Nearish Detroit, MI

Post Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:24 am

Stupid American Pig wrote:
eduardo_b wrote:I tend to differ on this. I can see it being more cost effective for many, as well as more practical for those who may not have the space for hardware, to use VST technology, but others will still find more "music" in hardware and prefer playing without any of the issues that can show up in DAWs. What has changed is the ability to have room (hard drive space) for much larger libraries that can offer more realistic playability. I think VSTs appeal more to those who concentrate on sound design as much or more than songs.
not really. I dont have room or money for abunch of keyboards. I have more than I can comfortably accomodate as it is. I much prefer vsts these days to the real thing, but still like to have 1 or two pieces of hardware around because alot of the time I just want to play and not record. Its much easier to turn my rhodes on and have fun than it is to boot my PC, turn on sonar or logic, insert a plugin, turn on my monitors then start playing...
Yeah, I think that's it exactly. The most telling trend over the last few years have been hardware keyboards which can host multiple VSTi. I think that's the way things are going to go... why spend $2000 for a workstation with only 64MB of Roland ROM sounds if I can spend $2000 and get 40 or 80GB of sampled instruments and softsynths from a bunch of different companies?
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

KVRAF
5703 posts since 6 Dec, 2003 from Mission Control

Post Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:25 am

Well...

In the case of samples and FM wouldn't you say it's software trumping software?
In the case of samplers.... Well, they never really did replace anything did they? I mean you can still buy pianos, organs, violins, saxophones, guitars, basses...ect. A real guitarist or pianist still wants a real guitar and a real piano.

You can't say VST synthesizers have replaced the synth market either because you can still buy Moogs, Analog Systems, Synthesizer.com.... ect. but that day may be coming sooner or later just because it's so close and so inexpensive. There are things you can do in analog emulation that are for practical reasons otherwise impossible. OTOH no matter how good your knob box is it's not a panel of real time, two fisted controls. Multi touch surfaces look promising but only time will tell.

At best you can say that VI has replaced the sound canvas, FM, samplers and romlers and that was always computer territory to start with.

There will always be a market for real instruments as long as there are real musicians.

User avatar
KVRAF
7065 posts since 25 Nov, 2002 from not sure

Post Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:28 am

tomg wrote: There will always be a market for real instruments as long as there are real musicians.
I can think of no better proof of this than the Timbaland Edition Neko...
















of course I didnt put much thought into that comment. Mainly just wanted to include Timbaland in a thread about real musicians...

KVRist

Topic Starter

207 posts since 13 Aug, 2008

Post Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:32 am

tomg wrote:

At best you can say that VI has replaced the sound canvas, FM, samplers and romlers and that was always computer territory to start with.

Did you mean Edirol Sound Canvas. :-o :lol: :D :-o :lol: :D

KVRist
274 posts since 4 Mar, 2007

Post Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:38 am

I think things will improve and that the distinctions between "keyboard" and "computer" will to increasing degrees fade away. As Dave Smith pointed out, the keyboard version still possess the "instrument" advantage...being rather discreet units, independent of your antivirus, OS upgrades, hosts, etc etc.

KVRAF
11851 posts since 23 Nov, 2004 from west of east

Post Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:38 am

Stupid American Pig wrote:but still like to have 1 or two pieces of hardware around because alot of the time I just want to play and not record. Its much easier to turn my rhodes on and have fun than it is to boot my PC, turn on sonar or logic, insert a plugin, turn on my monitors then start playing...
Well, actually, that's what I meant by music over sound design. Playing just for fun, not recording, seems to be almost forgotten in all the focus on digital software. Recording, mixing and sound design are fine, of course, but playing to just enjoy the moment seems at least as worthy. We've become addicted to recording so that nothing is "lost," but I wonder if spontaneity hasn't actually been lost in the process.
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

KVRist
252 posts since 19 Nov, 2002 from Toronto, Canada

Post Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:39 am

Stupid American Pig wrote:I think this thread would have been better timed about 15 years ago...
Yup... Might as well ask if MP3s will replace CDs.

Return to “Instruments”