CC/vst parameters wrapper

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
KrzysiekK
KVRist
367 posts since 3 Sep, 2004

Post Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:00 am

Hello,

I am looking for a VST/VSTi which can wrap any VST/VSTi plugin and allow for MIDI CC to VST parameters mapping. This is because the host I use does not allow for this and I need it to be able to control any VST parameter with external hardware, regardless MIDI implementation of given VST.

Thanks,
Krzysiek

Jim Y
KVRist
426 posts since 29 Jun, 2008 from Mid Wales, UK.

Post Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:36 am

Console?
http://console.jp/en/
This has a CC Filter transform/mapper utility. Console comes in standalone and as VST & VSTi. Standalone is useful for testing patches outside the DAW.
Your plugins appear in Console with a separate CC input.

Maybe a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but you also get the ability to assemble multiple FX in the patch.

Jim

KrzysiekK
KVRist

Post Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:48 am

Thanks, it looks solid and features what I need.

runagate
KVRAF
10106 posts since 17 Sep, 2004 from Austin, TX

Post Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:14 am

Or Usine, of which there's a standalone and VST free version

www.sensomusic.com

KrzysiekK
KVRist

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:08 am

In general the wanted thing is a simple wrapper (resources-lite) opening just a single VST/VSTi and providing CC->plugin paramters mapping, that's all. This is because I still want to organize the plugins in host-level rather than plugins nested in one plugin; on the other side, support for multiple VSTs is usable when I want to keep synth layers hidden for a host which sees them as one plugin. I am hoping for a simple thing in future though.

edit: I just read that free version of VstUsine allow for just one instance of itself within host. Now I wonder how many plugins can host a free version of VstUsine...

Best regards,
Krzysiek

KrzysiekK
KVRist

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:55 am

Just dropped in to say that Usine is oustanding when it comes to signal routing and control. I never saw anything like that: free routing of control signals between plugin instances at paramter level - I love its true modularity (well, at least at control level). I was told about this software before but I never really tried it more indepth.

goyya76
KVRist
252 posts since 17 Oct, 2006 from Roma

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:46 am

KrzysiekK wrote:In general the wanted thing is a simple wrapper (resources-lite) opening just a single VST/VSTi and providing CC->plugin paramters mapping, that's all.
have a look at asseca's mGUI (there's an official forum here on KvR)...

Ciao,

Goyya

KrzysiekK
KVRist

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:51 am

goyya76 wrote:
KrzysiekK wrote:In general the wanted thing is a simple wrapper (resources-lite) opening just a single VST/VSTi and providing CC->plugin paramters mapping, that's all.
have a look at asseca's mGUI (there's an official forum here on KvR)...

Ciao,

Goyya
This is pretty interesting thing. I wish it was able to preserve original GUI while some synths do not implement all of their parameters as VST parameters. But this really nice starting point for some simple synths requiring automatization thru MIDI. Thanks a lot!

Krzysiek

goyya76
KVRist

Post Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:15 am

KrzysiekK wrote: I wish it was able to preserve original GUI while some synths do not implement all of their parameters as VST parameters.
Krzysiek
I guess you already noticed, anyway you can preserve the original GUI! :)

lunatic
KVRist
64 posts since 17 Apr, 2003

Post Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:26 am

http://www.midevice.com

VST MIDI Control Extension (MCX) is a plugin wrapper attached to the selected VST plugin that extends the plugin with MIDI controlling capabilities. The extension allows you to assign each parameter of the VST plugin to a MIDI control event (CC0 - CC127) or to a virtual control element. It works with both VST and VSTi plugins. On VST hosts without or with bad MIDI controlling setup, you will be able to control your virtual devices from your MIDI controller very easily. The extension is configurable by one-click Learn function and moving the requested knob on your device. The extension configuration is saved with the attached plugin's preset data.

The software package contains a special device in form of a VSTi that allows controller device virtualization. Using this approach isn't needed to route MIDI channels from/to the MCX-wrapped plugins, MCX does the routing itself independently from VST host you use. MCX virtual device clones your device on layer basis. It's skinnable to allow realistic representation of physical devices and their status in the VST environment.

brok landers
KVRAF
6116 posts since 26 Sep, 2003 from right here, as you can see ...

Post Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:16 am

energy xt 1.4.1 does that. it adds a modulation matrix to any vst/vsti ... one of the coolest feature,that did not make it into xt2 ...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

goyya76
KVRist

Post Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:06 am

lunatic wrote:http://www.midevice.com

VST MIDI Control Extension (MCX) is a plugin wrapper attached to the selected VST plugin that extends the plugin with MIDI controlling capabilities. The extension allows you to assign each parameter of the VST plugin to a MIDI control event (CC0 - CC127) or to a virtual control element. It works with both VST and VSTi plugins. On VST hosts without or with bad MIDI controlling setup, you will be able to control your virtual devices from your MIDI controller very easily. The extension is configurable by one-click Learn function and moving the requested knob on your device. The extension configuration is saved with the attached plugin's preset data.

The software package contains a special device in form of a VSTi that allows controller device virtualization. Using this approach isn't needed to route MIDI channels from/to the MCX-wrapped plugins, MCX does the routing itself independently from VST host you use. MCX virtual device clones your device on layer basis. It's skinnable to allow realistic representation of physical devices and their status in the VST environment.
seems lots of things have changed since the time i tried it - it definitely deserves another trial!

KrzysiekK
KVRist

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:13 am

an ultimate solution!

But I will give a try to Mgui first.

Best regards,
Krzysiek

djsubject
KVRAF
10826 posts since 26 Nov, 2004 from UK

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:15 am

energyXT 1 or/& 2 Perfect for the job & comes with loads more goodies :tu:

Subz

MutantHero
KVRist
90 posts since 6 Sep, 2010

Post Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:17 am

Someone please help me. I am definately at the point of beg borrow or steal.

I need a copy of "VST MIDI Control Extension" and I cannot find it anywhere except with DEMO time limited license.

Thanks in advance, sorry for necro, but there's no other way.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”