DC2009 (organizational): what roles need to be filled?

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
KVRist
397 posts since 7 Jun, 2003 from Sedna the Red Planet

Post Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:47 pm

Meffy PM :)

There should be a good cash fund and different catagories:-

e.g vst synth, vst effect, reaktor ensemble, synthmaker plug etc.

The winner in each category should be payware so the developer gets something for his hard work...ok low price but there will be plenty of sales!

How would this be done

Everyone pays say $10 so they get the winner for free......and you can vote...or pay $25 after the vote for the winning plugs!

Take the risk ...$10 ...vote and participate
or $25 afterwards if the plugs are good

Best idea - lots of $$$ in the kitty - good incentive for devs and $$ later on for the devs from the kvr's who'll wait until the results!

tuz
DC TC
2520 posts since 30 May, 2004

Post Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:44 pm

rules are all set so no problems there (there may be slight changes to make it flow better). i think if meffy is going to handle prize distribution (thank you again meffy), all that needs to be done is someone to handle communication with devs as well as someone to handle the promotion aspect of the contest (magazines, websites etc). don't panic, i will contact ben in a couple of days and see if we can have the dc announced. it can unofficially start right now, but it's always better to have it announced on the main page.
Image

User avatar
KVRAF
4830 posts since 10 Feb, 2006 from Stockholm, Sweden

Post Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:30 pm

Meffy, Tuz, and all other staff. I'm working on a DC 2009 flash that we could put up on the frontpage.
Best regards from Johan Brodd.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

User avatar
Beware the Quoth
29708 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:30 am

strav100 wrote:Meffy PM :)

There should be a good cash fund and different catagories:-

e.g vst synth, vst effect, reaktor ensemble, synthmaker plug etc.

The winner in each category should be payware so the developer gets something for his hard work...ok low price but there will be plenty of sales!

How would this be done

Everyone pays say $10 so they get the winner for free......and you can vote...or pay $25 after the vote for the winning plugs!

Take the risk ...$10 ...vote and participate
or $25 afterwards if the plugs are good

Best idea - lots of $$$ in the kitty - good incentive for devs and $$ later on for the devs from the kvr's who'll wait until the results!
that's not the KVR developer competition, and Ive got no interest in something where 'The winner in each category should be payware'' or people pay to vote. If you want to set up your own developer competition, thats fine, but this is in almost direct opposition to the spirit of the KVR DC.

However thats a debate which doesnt really belong in a thread about who is going to be organising what. If you're suggesting changing the concept and structure of the entire thing, I suggest you start a new thread appropriate to that.
successfully and consistently snarky

User avatar
Beware the Quoth
29708 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:21 am

jobromedia wrote:Meffy, Tuz, and all other staff. I'm working on a DC 2009 flash that we could put up on the frontpage.
is that a role which needs to be filled? surely the point is to work out what needs to be done, rather than have folk jump in and do stuff randomly? talking about CNN and all is all very grand, but its kind of missing the picture.

My take on it is that things need to be formalised just a little bit more, just to make handling the whole process easier. In terms of what that means straight away, then I'd suggest what's needed is to consider the 'how' of the thing first, and document that.

how things will work:
*) competition timescale, and basic overview
*) rules and conditions for entrants - what they need to do and how
*) guidelines for donations - how it works, and how it'll gets used
*) guidelines for voters - when it'll happen, how to do it, and what to expect
*) guidelines for prizegiving - how, why and when

I suspect that means that the first stage is formalising 'the rules', which could possibly be best done in the 'benign dictatorship' mode - suggestions welcome but Tuz (or whoever he nominates) gets final say. Perhaps there shoudl be an informal 'committee', or perhaps it should just be the usual KVR squabble, but I can't see any reason that much gets changed from previous years, just firmed up a bit and documented, as it were.

i'd also assume that the information 'sent out' is formalised already ie

*) some kind of press kit for appropriate magazines and websites
*) some kind of similar press kit aimed at soliciting prize donations
*) some kind of information for developers taking part

Some background info/blurb will need to be collated for the 'press kits', and there should probably be someone willing to write them up, as well as someone willing to design for/handle the different 'media' that they'd be in (ie website, PDFs, emails)

Once thats done, it might be best to split the list of possible press sites and donators to chase up amongst a group of people, so that no one person gets bogged down dealing with everyone.

That should more or less be an ongoing process until the cut-off date of submissions, at which point it comes down to managing the voting collation and prize distribution.

You're basically looking at several types of task for people to take on

1. those regarding the decisions on the rules/structure/timetable
2. those regarding the collation and design the publicity info
3. those regarding the chasing of leads on donations/publicity
4. those regarding the collation of votes and distribution of prizes

i think there should be someone 'in charge' of it all, with the 'last say', and perhaps a 'backup' for them who'd do that if they fell ill or whatever. And any sub-task with more than a couple of people working on it probably needs a 'last say' person of its own, just to keep things together.

But the rest of it breaks down kind of easily along the sequence of the actual events that need to happen...

Of course, thats typical overthinking on my part, but maybe it'll get people to think about organising the organising, rather than just jump in and say 'Yay, I'll print posters' or whatever.
successfully and consistently snarky

KVRist
397 posts since 7 Jun, 2003 from Sedna the Red Planet

Post Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:50 pm

whyterabbyt wrote:
strav100 wrote:Meffy PM :)

There should be a good cash fund and different catagories:-

e.g vst synth, vst effect, reaktor ensemble, synthmaker plug etc.

The winner in each category should be payware so the developer gets something for his hard work...ok low price but there will be plenty of sales!

How would this be done

Everyone pays say $10 so they get the winner for free......and you can vote...or pay $25 after the vote for the winning plugs!

Take the risk ...$10 ...vote and participate
or $25 afterwards if the plugs are good

Best idea - lots of $$$ in the kitty - good incentive for devs and $$ later on for the devs from the kvr's who'll wait until the results!
that's not the KVR developer competition, and Ive got no interest in something where 'The winner in each category should be payware'' or people pay to vote. If you want to set up your own developer competition, thats fine, but this is in almost direct opposition to the spirit of the KVR DC.

However thats a debate which doesnt really belong in a thread about who is going to be organising what. If you're suggesting changing the concept and structure of the entire thing, I suggest you start a new thread appropriate to that.
???
If all plugs are for nothing, only donations fund the prize fund which will be too small for devs to bother putting the work in...and they get no financial reward afterwards

A better prize fund and a constant stream of income for winners is a good incentive for devs to put the time in and make good plugs

$10 is very little really - you could call it a donation I supposed

I was just thinking perhaps from the devs viewpoint

Just a suggestion....I don't mind it if you think its crap :)

KVRist
397 posts since 7 Jun, 2003 from Sedna the Red Planet

Post Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:51 pm

anyway Whyterabbit - why don't you organise the show!! I'm sure you'll do a good job :)

KVRist
53 posts since 11 Sep, 2007

Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:50 am

*sigh*


more than half of january gone by and still no word on this



can you we please get something officially started on this before january ends? :(

tuz
DC TC
2520 posts since 30 May, 2004

Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:53 am

just a bit more patience. :)
Image

User avatar
KVRian
873 posts since 12 Jul, 2008

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:59 pm

Hey I'd like to help out. I can help design some ads, even flash ads. I can also help setup a webpage for the event, or anything along those lines. Just tell me. :)

here's a suggestion: I noticed a lot of devs and musicians here have websites, so we can all post an animated button on our sites to promote the event. :)

tuz
DC TC
2520 posts since 30 May, 2004

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:53 pm

update: i'm waiting for a reply from ben about the dates.
Image

KVRist
53 posts since 11 Sep, 2007

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:17 am

lol... february :roll:

tuz
DC TC
2520 posts since 30 May, 2004

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:55 pm

sonicase wrote:lol... february :roll:
we are not perfect. i'm sorry.
Image

KVRist
53 posts since 11 Sep, 2007

Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:46 am

lol, march

tuz
DC TC
2520 posts since 30 May, 2004

Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:39 am

sonicase wrote:lol, march
now you're just being an asshole.
Image

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2021”