It's time to play "how's your weather?"

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->
vurt
addled muppet weed
50190 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:32 am

Forgotten wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:27 am
vurt wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:49 am
Forgotten wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:45 am
0C = 32F
-13C = 8.6F

That’s pretty cold...
yep. cant say im overly thrilled as the cold effects my arthritis but you do get to snuggle up to strangers on the bus so it's not all bad.
Hopefully you don’t have to come on the bus too often during in winter then...
more often than not my stop arrives before it gets that far.

Monkey Man
KVRist
39 posts since 28 May, 2019 from Australia

Re: It's time to play "how's your weather?"

Post Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:59 pm

:uhuhuh: :hihi:

Hink
Rad Grandad
29092 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Post Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:54 pm

Forgotten wrote:
0C = 32F
-13C = 8.6F

That’s pretty cold...
saw -18°(f) here 2018 (without windchill, actual temp)...that's a bit on the coolish side :hihi:

42° on the way home tonight, I took out trash from the unit tonight and had to stop by my car to grab my leather jacket...too early for heating season but it works out in the end, I still wont need oil until the end of next month or later.
Albert Einstein may have been a genius but his brother Frank was a monster

Blue Phase Music
KVRAF
7727 posts since 24 May, 2009 from Nationalism isn't my thing...

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:51 am

Hink wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:54 pm
Forgotten wrote:
0C = 32F
-13C = 8.6F

That’s pretty cold...
saw -18°(f) here 2018 (without windchill, actual temp)...that's a bit on the coolish side :hihi:
That's cute. :hihi:
The -28 degrees F air temperature in the Twin Cities on January 30, 2019 was the coldest ambient air temperate in the Twin Cities since -32 degrees F on February 2, 1996. The -13 degrees F maximum temperature on January 30, 2019 was the coldest maximum temperate since -17 degrees F on February 2, 1996.
Some stuff and things!

Hink
Rad Grandad

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:35 am

:o

Blue Phase Music
KVRAF

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:44 am

Hink wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:35 am
:D
Some stuff and things!

Forgotten
KVRAF
3232 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:58 am

I’m with Hink thinking -18F is ridiculously cold already - I had to stand in the old limo parking lot at Logan airport on a night when it was -18 (winter of 2000/2001 I think). That parking lot was in the open and the only thing that protected me from the wind was the 1’ high wall surrounding it. Of course, the car was an hour late so I had to stand in gusting wind on a night of -18F. As you can imagine, I was none too happy with the driver when he arrived, especially when his excuse was “they told me the wrong time”.

-28 though? Holy crap...

Blue Phase Music
KVRAF

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:04 am

When I arrived home from England in 2004, it was early January. The ambient temp that night was -20°F and all I had was a windbreaker as I was waiting outside for my parents to pick me up from the airport.

I really was not that cold! :eek:

I think the reason was that I had spent to much time in Blackpool with all that moisture in the cool air (hovering around 5°C at the time, if I remember right) that when I arrived here with our relatively low humidity in Winter, even -20°F was a relief!
Some stuff and things!

Hink
Rad Grandad

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:20 am

well of course -18 wherever the weather stations are does not mean that's the temp here....could be cooler, could be warmer but I am basically on the top of hill/ridge so I find winter or summer it's cooler here

Forgotten
KVRAF
3232 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:57 am

It's always the wind that makes it worse for me. Waiting at Logan was with gusts of wind making it feel like the skin was peeling off my face every time it gusted. I think it's common for temperature for forecasts to be measured at airports, so I'm pretty sure Logan really was -18 that night.

Same with the humidity here in the Carolinas - I would rather it was in the 90s in the summer as the humidity soars when it drops into the 80s so it feels way hotter in the 80s than it does in the 90s. Same in the winter - on the days when it's cloudy all day and night, the humidity is high at night so that when it's in the 20s or the teens it sometimes feels like negative temperatures.

Blue Phase Music
KVRAF

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:08 am

That why they call the effect of wind cooling the cair, "Windchill." ;)

And yes, they measure the Twin Cities official temps at MSP where I was when it was -20°F when I landed.

We have a slightly different effect with clouds here in MN. When it's cloudy in Winter here it's warmer but tends to snow more. When the skies are clear it's much, much colder but it tends not to snow as much.

I guess it's similar to what you mentioned as with more humidity in Winter it will be more likely to snow.

It's just freaky that it can actually get too cold to snow. That's why Antarctica is mostly desert. Yes, an icy, snowy desert.
Some stuff and things!

Hink
Rad Grandad

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:27 am

Blue Phase Music wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:08 am
That why they call the effect of wind cooling the cair, "Windchill." ;)

And yes, they measure the Twin Cities official temps at MSP where I was when it was -20°F when I landed.

We have a slightly different effect with clouds here in MN. When it's cloudy in Winter here it's warmer but tends to snow more. When the skies are clear it's much, much colder but it tends not to snow as much.

I guess it's similar to what you mentioned as with more humidity in Winter it will be more likely to snow.

It's just freaky that it can actually get too cold to snow. That's why Antarctica is mostly desert. Yes, an icy, snowy desert.
same here, it's called radiational cooling and yes also the too cold to snow is usually true but in 2017 not. We had a few blizzards below zero which is very rare and I thought because it was finer snow it would build up less but actually it was more and faster.

I think the worst windchill I have been in was around 50 below, but we must keep in mind that windchill is only felt by exposed or otherwise under insulated skin (in other words you bet you'll feel it through your clothes if you're wearing a windbreaker or something thin). Some people believe they feel windchill in their house, but not true. Yes the wind can expose areas of a house that is not well insulated and blow in more cold air but windchill is of course caused by the evaporation off the skin caused by the wind...a house aint got no nerves under the skin :hihi:

Blue Phase Music
KVRAF

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:45 am

You're right...we had a couple of below-zero snowfalls last year. I remember thinking how odd that was at the time.

I believe the coldest ambient temperature I've been in was somewhere around -40°F in Northern Minnesota on Christmas Break. I'll need to look that up to see just how cold it was.
Some stuff and things!

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:42 pm

Blue Phase Music wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:51 am
Hink wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:54 pm
Forgotten wrote:
0C = 32F
-13C = 8.6F

That’s pretty cold...
That's cute. :hihi:
The -28 degrees F air temperature in the Twin Cities on January 30, 2019 was the coldest ambient air temperate in the Twin Cities since -32 degrees F on February 2, 1996. The -13 degrees F maximum temperature on January 30, 2019 was the coldest maximum temperate since -17 degrees F on February 2, 1996.
:o :scared: wtaf? that's like arctic conditions :o
i bet youre all hairy like me, even the women. it does help :tu:

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:45 pm

Blue Phase Music wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:45 am
You're right...we had a couple of below-zero snowfalls last year. I remember thinking how odd that was at the time.

I believe the coldest ambient temperature I've been in was somewhere around -40°F in Northern Minnesota on Christmas Break. I'll need to look that up to see just how cold it was.
-30c is the coldest ive ever knowingly been at, and that was more than cold enough. was snowing there too, norway.

Return to “Off Topic”