michael sembello maniac intro sound?!

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You all know the song, you all saw the movie :)
There is a sound in the intro serving rhythm purposes, there is a drum beat, and sort of cowbell sound and that sound, percussive-electro-thing...
Anybody know what that may be and how to recreate it?

Dont know the song or movie but from your description id say it was roland TR808/809 cowbell.

Cowbell is fine, but there is another sound after cowbell loop

The song is made with a Linn LM1 and the sound you're looking for is the claps played with 64th notes. Obviously with some reverb.

Thanks! Ill try claps then, but it will probably soun like cra*, digital workstation emulating vintage drum machine, cra*, instant cra*... :)

draobyek wrote:Thanks! Ill try claps then, but it will probably soun like cra*, digital workstation emulating vintage drum machine, cra*, instant cra*... :)
Why ? A sample is a sample.

I've used Linn Samples extensively on many tracks. Sounds good to me. Remember, it's not the equipment making the music; It's the heart, the mind and the soul. :wink:

@jupiter8
i don't know, just doesn't seem right, don't mean i wont do it, and doesn't mean it wont sound close to the original or good at all when i do it, just... i don't know...

@K-Bee
In my band it's all about the equipment, monkey can play those songs, but it has to sound like original, or as close as possible...
I do agree about the hart, mind and soul! :)

What song and what movie?

@draobyek:

Do you mean this metallic sound which is played twice on every end of the bar?

Sounds like a harsh fm sound to me.

robojam wrote:What song and what movie?
The song is given in the thread title and the movie would be Flashdance.
draobyek wrote:@jupiter8
i don't know, just doesn't seem right, don't mean i wont do it, and doesn't mean it wont sound close to the original or good at all when i do it, just... i don't know...
You'll have more problems matching the eq and reverb settings than anything else. That it was made on old gear should'nt matter much. The LM1 was the first drum machine with samples so that's all there is to it.
Wildfunk wrote:@draobyek:

Do you mean this metallic sound which is played twice on every end of the bar?

Sounds like a harsh fm sound to me.
It isn't. It is as i said the claps from the Linn LM1 played in fast succession. 64 or possibly even 128th notes.

K-Bee wrote:Remember, it's not the equipment making the music; It's the heart, the mind and the soul. :wink:
Where can I download some of those (free or very cheap)? And how close to the original will they sound?

jupiter8 wrote:It isn't. It is as i said the claps from the Linn LM1 played in fast succession. 64 or possibly even 128th notes.
You're right! -> http://www.wildfunk.com/mp3/maniac.mp3 (not 1:1 but comes very close)

Mac of BIOnighT wrote:
K-Bee wrote:Remember, it's not the equipment making the music; It's the heart, the mind and the soul. :wink:
Where can I download some of those (free or very cheap)? And how close to the original will they sound?
I think there's a "Heart Mind & Soul" VST somewhere but it won't come cheap and copy protection is through the roof! :lol:
It should sound original as long as no one knows it :D :hihi:

K-Bee wrote: I think there's a "Heart Mind & Soul" VST somewhere but it won't come cheap and copy protection is through the roof! :lol:
Uhmmm... maybe some developer could come up with a free one for the 2009 dev challenge? I'd like one with separate envelopes, volumes and lfo's so, for example, you can start doing something with your heart and mind comes in only after a while along with a modulated soul, or maybe you can do something with a sharp attack mind, but totally soulless...

Return to “Sound Design”