AcmeBarGig MR. TATER HEAD released here

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
ScottRiley
KVRer
4 posts since 6 Jun, 2009

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:34 pm

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.

Mr. Tater Head is the last amp from our Preampus Classic Hybrid line, and it's up to you to decide whether we've saved the best for last!

Tater Head is another amp very much rooted in it's Classic Rock roots, not that it won't kick out the gain, it just prefers to be sitting in that 'Vintage Crunch' territory that a lot of the amps from this line do.

Probably the most interesting feature of Mr. Tater is the 3 different gain controls it has - separate controls for Bass Gain, Mid Gain and Treble Gain, as well as the standard Bass, Mid and Treble controls on it's tone stack.

These extra gain controls mean you can really get in to shaping the sound of the saturation, it takes some tweaking, but you can get some really unique tones through altering the overall gain control and the 3 extra gain knobs.

Here at AcmeBarGig we can sometimes find ourselves wishing we had an extra day in the week to get stuff done and, while 7 days of Preampus Week has now came and gone, we thought we'd finish the Classic Hybrid line off with one more amp, I guess we just don't dig odd numbers, or something weird like that.

Anyway, download Tater, and see if you can fit it in somewhere with the other Preampus Miscreants we've supplied you with over the past week and a bit, we're sure there's a place for it in the lineup!

Download Tater Head here:
http://www.acmebargig.com/taterhead/ (http://www.acmebargig.com/taterhead/)

Bear in mind the Classic Hybrid amps are HEAD ONLY, you will NEED to use some external cabinet modeling, we highly recommend LePou's LeCab, which you can grab here:
http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/2009/07/lecab-v10.html (http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/2009/07/lecab-v10.html)

VSTJuNkiE
KVRAF
2490 posts since 18 Jun, 2008 from "nunya"....

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:37 pm

Tater Head the lost son of Tater Salad :hihi:

Dude, you guys are so awesome I'll give you one of these--> :hug:

Later 8)
KVR >Gear Slutz! Change my mind! :clap:

ScottRiley
KVRer
4 posts since 6 Jun, 2009

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:08 pm

Hey, hugs are awesome, how can we say no!

stuman
KVRist
142 posts since 27 Apr, 2005 from ATL

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:33 pm

Wow. You guys rock :D Looking forward to the metal line series :)

Agreed
KVRian
1189 posts since 3 Mar, 2009 from Colorado Springs

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:53 pm

I had REAPER open in the background when I saw this posting so of course I downloaded it and made a quick demo, why not :)

The preset I made I named "Raunchy" because it seems to have a really raunchy tone to me. This one is more complex to dial in than any of the others in the Preampus Head line; there's a balance to be achieved between overall front gain (bottom left corner) and individual band gains; and there's another, separate balance to be achieved between the individual band gains and the EQ knob that adjusts those frequencies. It's possible to get some really FUZZ sounding stuff with this amp, but it's capable of more laid-back stuff too. But you know me, I don't really do laid back, so my demo is as usual seeing what you can get out of this amp when it's pushed.

I didn't use the built in Treble Booster this time, I had some trouble getting it to balance out with how I wanted the treble Gain and EQ settings to be, so I used instead two BTE Audio TubeScreamerSecret plugins in series, each set for 1/4 drive with only unity output on the first one and higher volume output on the second one to push the input gain stage harder on Tater Head. Why use two Tube Screamers instead of one with higher gain? Ask Stevie Ray Vaughn next time you're at a seance, or just take my word for it that stacking pedals with individually lower gain can sound quite lovely :) Try it with a couple germanium Fuzz Face pedals if you ever get the chance, or some Marshall Bluesbreaker pedals (fact: the Analogman King of Tone pedal is two modified Marshall Bluesbreakers in series in one box, sounds lovely).

Anyway, do I even have to say it's going to be sloppy? I wish I was like Dimi Nalbantov and could rip out an amazingly fluent, virtuosic passages for demos at the drop of a hat, but that just isn't me. So my quick clips aren't pristine. Forgive me and enjoy the sound anyway!

Let me know what you think, I think this one has a really unique sound...
My Guitar Software Review Blog
Now featuring: Amplitube 4 w/ MESA/Boogie Col. & Fender Col. 2
Upcoming: S-Gear v2.6

Return to “Effects”