ZPC #6: Broken Instrument, or My Bloody Zebra

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

* This is all subject to change for a few days depending on review and discussion *

The challenge is to create patches that sound like some virtualized component or instrument is broken. While the sounds should be characteristically broken, they should also convey something about what the unbroken sound is like. In other words, there should somehow be a reference to something unbroken.

Also, since the idea is a broken instrument, the end result should be something musical. Relevant YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NMp-6LHTbg - the second part is definitely in the ballpark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiVYjRbZMe0 - awesome, but this might be a bit too much

* This is a description of an end-point, so no limits on synth / fx grid modules. Of course, it's not about the number of modules, it's how they're set up and connected :)
* Any source of modulating values can (and some certainly should) dynamically influence the 'broken' character of the sound except -
* One X-Y only may relate to the broken quality of the sound (so, two 'knobs' total). Assume other XYs can be set but not tweaked in real-time. There's absolutely no obligation to use any XYs or make the first one tweak-able in real-time.

* One or two patches may be submitted per entrant.
* December 13th will be the submission deadline, the 20th will be the voting deadline.

Winner's prize: TBA

I'm looking forward to some tasty sonic degradation!
Last edited by xh3rv on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

(From the #5 thread):
MCnoone wrote:Maybe you could make the voting both anonymous and type entered.
This would increase the amount of votes.
This would give others a chance to vote that might not otherwise.

The anonymous voting would just count as 1 point and added to the type entered voting for a total.

Just an idea, as I don't think enouph people are voting.
This could be done as a forum poll, too. Definitely worth review. The one concern I have is if this is done and not a whole lot more voting is done, it ends up being like half the patches with one vote :S

nice theme
should the "normal" (unbroken) sound try to look similar to a real instrument or what?

autodafe wrote:nice theme
should the "normal" (unbroken) sound try to look similar to a real instrument or what?
Generally yes, although it might get a bit recursive if 'instrument' includes synths, which I think should be valid.

Very nice idea!

I also love that the contest continues, and I think I'll include it in my next newsletter. This should bring quite soem attention to it 8)

The Hypnotoad sound isn't broken - that'd make a mighty fine Reese bass. All glory to the Hypnotoad....

Oh, I throw in another u-he-product-of-choice as the first prize!

Urs wrote:Oh, I throw in another u-he-product-of-choice as the first prize!
So, TBA is not a new creation of your's? (terribly bad joke :help: )

This definitely is a great idea for a theme. This one was my favorite from before, so glad to see it this round! :D

Alright! Looking forward to this one.

Should we use 2.3 or 2.5 for this one?
//L

lazerkind wrote:Should we use 2.3 or 2.5 for this one?
//L
I believe people who were in the contest threads and were cautious with the 2.5 beta have upgraded. Please post if anyone isn't comfortable with 2.5 beta, but I'm assuming 2.5 is fine.

As 2.5 will be out by the time the contest entry phase ends, I'd strongly suggest using 2.5 8)

Urs wrote:As 2.5 will be out by the time the contest entry phase ends, I'd strongly suggest using 2.5 8)
Is it wrong that I'm so happy to be seeing this? :D :D :D
Last edited by elxsound on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I just did a bunch of broken instrument sounds for ACE (e.g. drunk guitarist, broken guitar, several others)

Well, I've got two that I think are just about finished.

I't's been fun working on this so far. I've created instruments I like, and then find ways to break them! Very nice!

I assume the overall turnout will have something to do with the future of this idea, but I'm really hoping that if this round is successful, we can see a round 2 at some point.

:)

Return to “u-he”