3am - motionless dialogue (downtempodiarrhea)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
KVRAF
11415 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:37 pm

I hit some off notes... some might not have been off enough.

http://www.3amnoise.net/motionless_dialogue.mp3 8min

This is just an early arrangement of a bunch of parts I sequenced live, so criticism is welcome. I think I can clean up some of the more awkward clashing notes but but I've gotten too lazy to tune anything properly. :lol:

Let me know what you think. :)

KVRAF
4799 posts since 14 Jun, 2004 from Denver, CO

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:49 pm

Let me know what you think.
There are a few clashing notes in the very beginning, but this is really amazing. A lot of depth and the space it travels is mind blowing. The drums sounds are cherry sweet. You really have a real gift for making this tempo-modulating, heavy drum laden madness feel so organic and comfortable. Really, really well done, Justin.

This is so damn great that all I can say is 'you suck'. ;)
Awesome, brother.

KVRAF

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:52 pm

Oh, and I want to start a downtempodiarrhea net-label with you someday. That sub-psuedo-alt-subgenre just hasn't gotten it's come uppins yet, imo.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:15 am

We could do a compilation of remixes and covers of Anal c**t songs all downtempo-y and minimal! :D

Thanks for the words. I think there are parts that get too "epic", if you know what I mean. Like the lead at the end; does it fit the track? I was trying to keep a kinda intimate vibe but some that part in particular feels a bit over the top.

KVRAF
8072 posts since 12 Dec, 2003 from Canada

Post Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:06 am

The opening is so amazing in this piece... I want that string pad and pluck thing to go on forever. I get kinda trip hoppy once the beat kicks in - lots of your great signature edits, I really like the pitch drifting that's happening on some parts. There is a bit of a struggle in the track between epic sounds and more subdued, quirky sounds - not a bad thing in itself, just an artistic choice on the direction and feel of the track. I think it's great as is, but the door is definitely open to take it down a notch.
Image Image

KVRAF
4075 posts since 28 Apr, 2004

Post Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:18 am

very lovely, the opening is great some nice off kilter rythmic choices with the lead that coallesce when the beat kicks in.

Great drums as always and some nice sound choices make for both a very relaxing but also intriguing listen.

almost pop for you isn't it ? :lol:

cheers,

Steve.

KVRAF
2442 posts since 18 May, 2002 from up on Cripple Creek (CO)

Post Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:02 pm

justin3am wrote:...I think there are parts that get too "epic", if you know what I mean. Like the lead at the end; does it fit the track? I was trying to keep a kinda intimate vibe but some that part in particular feels a bit over the top.
I really don't think it was over the top at all, in fact I think the track flows really well. I think Jazzy summed it up perfectly here:
Jazzyspoon wrote:You really have a real gift for making this tempo-modulating, heavy drum laden madness feel so organic and comfortable.
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Take music back from the suits and return it to the people.

D.H. MOD
13944 posts since 21 Jun, 2008

Post Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:52 am

Pretty remarkable. I like this a lot. Thanks.

KVRist
192 posts since 20 Jan, 2009

Post Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:37 am

I like the ambient with vinyl and detune feelings. Some notes appear to be a little random but those are part of the flow. My only critique is with the mid/high percussion being too center. Yet I believe they are intentionally staged like that. Good track nonetheless.

KVRAF
4714 posts since 2 Sep, 2005 from city of lights (nl)

Post Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:11 am

Yummy, so good. Sounds very mellow to me, love these melodies.
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't check here if you can't control yourself!

KVRAF
6587 posts since 9 Mar, 2003 from the bridge of sighs

Post Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:26 am

lush , and soporifique ...
my favorite , to date , from you ...

KVRist
39 posts since 30 Jun, 2004

Post Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:47 am

This is the first I've heard from you so I can't really compare it to your other pieces... but it's definitely something I will listen to again and I'm going to try to track down more of your stuff.

As far as critiques go... I haven't got much of anything to add... balanced, rich, ambient. Excellent percussive breaks.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:19 pm

I don't got much to say other than, thanks... I'm impatiently waiting for my wife to return from the hospital; not having her around is killing me. She'll be back tomorrow if the doctors can be trusted. They say that the surgery went without indecent, so I'm hoping she recovers quickly. :)

Cheers! :tu:

KVRian
721 posts since 3 Sep, 2008 from CPH

Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:16 pm

This is effing awesome dude... HQ stuff, love the effects on the drums and the ambient feel of the track, love the combination of really spacy and soft sounds with some agressive and raw stuff... Great work, keep it up!

KVRAF

Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:33 pm

Give my best to Brit, J. I wish her a quick recovery.
:)

Return to “Music Cafe”