Latest release/build/beta

Official support for: photosounder.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wasi wrote:
A_SN wrote:No VST version, I'm still not clear on what people would want it to do.
Right now you can't select the sound driver (uh... right?) so you can't route the audio anywhere but 'out'. A VST version would for example allow using the live-synthesis mode as an instrument with a signal chain in a DAW.

Of course the quick and dirty workaround would be to allow selecting the sound driver within Photosounder, thus letting the user route audio through Jack, but a VST version would (hopefully) let you automate cursor position.

Also, photosounder is a much more storage-efficient way to run most of these sounds. You can tick through a relateively small file in slow motion for an hour of audio easily whereas a bounce of that audio would take up huge amounts of space.
That will be for the next major version. I think there's a way to get to choose the sound driver in SDL (which Photosounder uses) by providing some environment variables, but yeah, that's a bit tricky.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

Thank you for the 1.9.3 version update.
It's great to see you continue developing this powerful tool.

One good thing about being at 2018, is that since several spectral editors have already came out, if you want to focus Photosounder's development in user ideas/feedback, or instead get to make real your vision... there will be attentive people for either.
Keep it hapenning!

Nspace wrote:Thank you for the 1.9.3 version update.
It's great to see you continue developing this powerful tool.

One good thing about being at 2018, is that since several spectral editors have already came out, if you want to focus Photosounder's development in user ideas/feedback, or instead get to make real your vision... there will be attentive people for either.
Keep it hapenning!
I haven't paid much attention to what has been happening in the market for the last ~6 years, I assume not much?

Anyway I do have some other news, I kept saying that I'd fix bugs for 1.x while also working on a full rewrite, but I might also do something else on top of that. I recently created a new interface system and while I did it for the rewrite the way it works is so simple that I'll probably able to put that system on top of everything else, that would include old Photosounder 1.x so that I might add so dialogs, mostly. Since it's really something I can add to anything else and doesn't involve reworking anything, just adding it, and since I made it really easy for me (I add elements with the built-in editor pictured, then it generates the markup that contains the data and the C code for me, which is just one line per element so it's super simple and easy for me) I can probably get lots of new stuff done that way. The way Photosounder currently works will always limit me, but at least I won't be so limited with doing GUI stuff. My first targets would be a decent "New..." dialog and hopefully even an "Import..." dialog so that we can finally import things (that means having projects made of more than one file).

New version seems to be available:

Photosounder 1.9.4 (02 Aug 2018)

Changes since version 1.9.3:
Fixed the sometimes extremely slow analysing of sound files. Loading sounds is now consistently fast.
Fixed a potential source of crashes when loading MP3 files on Windows. The libmpg123 DLL is not needed anymore.

Neon Breath wrote:New version seems to be available:

Photosounder 1.9.4 (02 Aug 2018)

Changes since version 1.9.3:
Fixed the sometimes extremely slow analysing of sound files. Loading sounds is now consistently fast.
Fixed a potential source of crashes when loading MP3 files on Windows. The libmpg123 DLL is not needed anymore.
Yep, I noticed and fixed those couple of things while working on 1.10.

:tu: :)

Good

If anybody wants to tell me how the 1.9.5 demo for Windows works for them mostly regarding the live synthesis and its volume (I changed the way the volume is calculated to something that actually predicts the max volume, which it didn't actually do previously) that would be great.

http://photosounder.com/photosounder-1.9.5_demo_win.zip

A_SN wrote:If anybody wants to tell me how the 1.9.5 demo for Windows works for them mostly regarding the live synthesis and its volume (I changed the way the volume is calculated to something that actually predicts the max volume, which it didn't actually do previously) that would be great.

I tried, not noticed difference with previous v1.9.4, the same behavior (tested during live synthesis) - default "volume" value at zero sounds the same, and from volume +10 starts distortions at level peaks, from +20 constant distortion.
Win7 64bit

c_voltage wrote:
A_SN wrote:If anybody wants to tell me how the 1.9.5 demo for Windows works for them mostly regarding the live synthesis and its volume (I changed the way the volume is calculated to something that actually predicts the max volume, which it didn't actually do previously) that would be great.

I tried, not noticed difference with previous v1.9.4, the same behavior (tested during live synthesis) - default "volume" value at zero sounds the same, and from volume +10 starts distortions at level peaks, from +20 constant distortion.
Win7 64bit
Right, the difference is that in 1.9.4 and earlier the sound volume wasn't guessed properly so the gain was maximal until it decreased in sharp steps when encountering a louder sample.

Ok I've just released 1.9.5, I'll announce it tomorrow. This is what's changed:
-Visualisation overlays now remain when a menu is open
-MP3 files with out of range samples don't get clipped anymore
-Issues with silent blocks in lossless mode on Windows should be resolved
-Fixed a possible post-loading crash

A_SN Thanks. Btw found some issue, with very short wav sample, 0.008 sec, by some reason program freeze during load this wav, i attach sample here
Candle Cup.rar
. But it not just in new version, in v194 the same.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

c_voltage wrote:A_SN Thanks. Btw found some issue, with very short wav sample, 0.008 sec, by some reason program freeze during load this wav, i attach sample here
Candle Cup.rar
Yeah I don't think that loading ultra short samples ever worked properly. I think it has to do with the fact that it's so short it wouldn't even be 1 pixel wide.

A_SN wrote:
c_voltage wrote:A_SN Thanks. Btw found some issue, with very short wav sample, 0.008 sec, by some reason program freeze during load this wav, i attach sample here
Candle Cup.rar
Yeah I don't think that loading ultra short samples ever worked properly. I think it has to do with the fact that it's so short it wouldn't even be 1 pixel wide.
Oh ok got it.

Seems like there is a new version? Seen something passed on KVR news, but that’s it. Nothing here or in my inbox. Possible?

Return to “Photosounder”