Latest release/build/beta

Official support for: photosounder.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A_SN
Also example, now much longer time (and even without any additional operations) well demonstrate the specificity of this behavior, as you can see there is a some conditional random character (4 minutes gif): http://i.imgur.com/YMcf99F.gif

Ok, let leave this issue for sometime (if it is inexplicable), maybe I'll deal later.

Question about Live synthesis mode: Is there any option to "freeze" play cursor (during play) without hold mouse button on wave and except zero position of time resolution knob (because as we know this causes a memory issue) ?

c_voltage wrote:A_SN
Also example, now much longer time (and even without any additional operations) well demonstrate the specificity of this behavior, as you can see there is a some conditional random character (4 minutes gif): http://i.imgur.com/YMcf99F.gif

Ok, let leave this issue for sometime (if it is inexplicable), maybe I'll deal later.

Question about Live synthesis mode: Is there any option to "freeze" play cursor (during play) without hold mouse button on wave and except zero position of time resolution knob (because as we know this causes a memory issue) ?
Yeah this is pretty weird, I'm not sure I understand from the gif what makes it bug or not, does it happen every other time you create a new document?

There's no memory issue when you turn the time resolution knob all the way down in live synthesis, that's the beauty of it! That's because live synthesis makes the sound up as you play it, it's not stored, whereas the non-live synthesis tries to create the full sound, even if that sound is 12 hours long! A 12 hour long sound takes about 7 GB, so you get the idea ;)
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

A_SN wrote:Yeah this is pretty weird, I'm not sure I understand from the gif what makes it bug or not, does it happen every other time you create a new document?
I'm sorry, i not completely understand the question. This latest example well illustrates an approximate random probability of reproduction of this bug, ie this happens from time to time (at change Gamma knob value), well, can say - yes, it happen each time during the short session.
A_SN wrote:There's no memory issue when you turn the time resolution knob all the way down in live synthesis, that's the beauty of it!
Yes, you right, I incorrectly expressed, it's not issue. But all the same (about freeze of realtime play without mouse).
Ideally, as I understand it, it would have to be something like bipolar knob (with zero at the center), like in granular synthesis, to change the reading speed without affecting the overall project time. It is a pity that this is not (as I understand). Well, let it be as request.
EDIT
Damn, for what bipolar, even just simple Speed knob. (bipolar for play direction, but this is not necessary).

Also really lack of ability of work Live Synthesys feature in lossless mode :(

c_voltage wrote:Also really lack of ability of work Live Synthesys feature in lossless mode :(
Yeah, I was working on that, but I reported it to later. But since you can't timestretch in lossless mode anyway (if you could it wouldn't be lossless anymore) it's not as important.

Oh and as for a knob that goes both ways, it would be weird, but you can go backwards by pressing the B button during playback though.

A_SN Thanks for some info, received.

c_voltage wrote:Is there any option to "freeze" play cursor (during play) without hold mouse button on wave and except zero position of time resolution knob (because as we know this causes a memory issue) ?
I was wrong, damn... If "live synthesys" feature enabled then Time Resolution knob does not affect to RAM, its happen only if switch program back to normal (non-live synth) mode.
I.e. need just increase Time Resolution level before jump again to normal mode, and then no problem.
ASN Thus you right, speed knob is not necessary.
Sorry just did not sleep for a long time at that moment :D

c_voltage wrote:
c_voltage wrote:Is there any option to "freeze" play cursor (during play) without hold mouse button on wave and except zero position of time resolution knob (because as we know this causes a memory issue) ?
I was wrong, damn... If "live synthesys" feature enabled then Time Resolution knob does not affect to RAM, its happen only if switch program back to normal (non-live synth) mode.
I.e. need just increase Time Resolution level before jump again to normal mode, and then no problem.
ASN Thus you right, speed knob is not necessary.
Sorry just did not sleep for a long time at that moment :D
Hehe I thought you understood that. Anyway, don't even bother with non-live mode, live synthesis is just better in every way, in fact most of my yet unreleased efforts with Photosounder were in getting rid of non-live synthesis because there's no point in keeping it. Only I also wanted to make lossless mode be live, and that takes a lot of work, plus I have to reorganise a lot of things since the program was always meant to be non-live in its processing. Sometimes I feel like my work on Photosounder is similar to trying to turn a wooden frigate into an aircraft carrier :hihi:.

Yes, understand. BTW about earlier mentioned bug, I am increasingly beginning to make sure that his character is such that Gamma knob somehow linked to Undo function, it sounds strange, but it all comes down to this. Later I make another video with a demonstration of this dependence. ASN maybe you could somehow check at the program code level this probability?

c_voltage wrote:Yes, understand. BTW about earlier mentioned bug, I am increasingly beginning to make sure that his character is such that Gamma knob somehow linked to Undo function, it sounds strange, but it all comes down to this. Later I make another video with a demonstration of this dependence. ASN maybe you could somehow check at the program code level this probability?
I know, the old version of the layer that comes back for no reason is stored in the hidden undo layer, that's why my suggestions for a workaround earlier hinged on clearing that undo layer of that old version/making the undo layer identical to the current layer. When you use something like the gamma knob it stores the current layer in the hidden undo layer so that everytime you change the knob it can go back to it to apply the new gamma to it. But for some reason for you it doesn't store it properly in the first place. Maybe a race condition, I don't know.

A_SN, oh ok, clear.
BTW, how do you recommend to run Photosounder (for correctly work) - with admin rights or without ? or no difference ? (just, i know cases with other software when launch with admin rights caused some functional limitations).

c_voltage wrote:A_SN, oh ok, clear.
BTW, how do you recommend to run Photosounder (for correctly work) - with admin rights or without ? or no difference ? (just, i know cases with other software when launch with admin rights caused some functional limitations).
I run it with no rights, but it doesn't hurt to run it with admin rights either way.

Just bought photosounder and I love it...the possibilities are insane

I have a few requests though. The undo button doesnt seem to be affecting global changes, like when i merge layers...it doesnt unmerge them for some reason, it does not undo that change state...am I missing something?

also there is an option to merge layers and create layers but i am having difficulty importing images into the newly created layers....I tried using the open function but that seems to be a global project open function..

also photosounder on my windows 8.1, i7, 64 bit does not run without administrator rights, I have to run it with admin rights for it to start...that is ok, just thought id mention

Photosounder crashes when I try to open and close projects sometimes...im using the 1.9 version

also can it be used as a VST in a DAW??

loris16148 wrote:Just bought photosounder and I love it...the possibilities are insane

I have a few requests though. The undo button doesnt seem to be affecting global changes, like when i merge layers...it doesnt unmerge them for some reason, it does not undo that change state...am I missing something?

also there is an option to merge layers and create layers but i am having difficulty importing images into the newly created layers....I tried using the open function but that seems to be a global project open function..

also photosounder on my windows 8.1, i7, 64 bit does not run without administrator rights, I have to run it with admin rights for it to start...that is ok, just thought id mention

Photosounder crashes when I try to open and close projects sometimes...im using the 1.9 version

also can it be used as a VST in a DAW??
Yes that's right, the undo button just affects the current layer, basically it's just an extra hidden layer and the older version of the current layer goes there. It's kind of a crappy kind of undo I must admit, it doesn't do fancy things like unmerging. Thankfully you can always edit out the last lines out of history.pha and reload it (using the reload the last session function in the File menu).

And sadly there is no import function and no way to do that. Except by doing some merging of .pha files of the status (as opposed to history) type, but that's a bit complicated, and would only work with images of the same dimensions.

The administrator rights might have to do either with trying to access the registry (to add the .pha file extension) or because it writes files in the same folder as the program, which won't work too well if you put Photosounder in your Program Files folder which needs admin permissions for that. I started Photosounder in the days of Windows XP, that might be why...

No VST version, I'm still not clear on what people would want it to do.

A_SN wrote:No VST version, I'm still not clear on what people would want it to do.
Right now you can't select the sound driver (uh... right?) so you can't route the audio anywhere but 'out'. A VST version would for example allow using the live-synthesis mode as an instrument with a signal chain in a DAW.

Of course the quick and dirty workaround would be to allow selecting the sound driver within Photosounder, thus letting the user route audio through Jack, but a VST version would (hopefully) let you automate cursor position.

Also, photosounder is a much more storage-efficient way to run most of these sounds. You can tick through a relateively small file in slow motion for an hour of audio easily whereas a bounce of that audio would take up huge amounts of space.

Return to “Photosounder”