escher test

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hey guys, would appreciate your help again with another experiment. :-)

i created a whole bunch of short-ish "skipped" loops, synced and arranged and faded them in/out of each other, and came up with this (two back-to-back instances of the entire set of interlocking loops, with an overarching dynamic curve that peaks in the middle):

escher test

(escher because it reminds me of one of those long escher prints in which one things morphs to another, then to another, another, etc.)

questions:

1. could it work* as a background layer?
2. could it work as a foreground layer?
3. could it work as-is ... with nothing added?

work = be musically compelling

thanks! :-)

It works 'as is'. It could be a background layer with a bit less rhythmic sounds, I suppose. But I like this. In my hands, I would work harder to mix/blend the overlapping areas, but thats more about personal pref.
I love how your posts encourage me to methodically examine your sounds/composition, I feel I'm learning something consciously and/or subconsciously.

Jazzyspoon wrote:It works 'as is'. It could be a background layer with a bit less rhythmic sounds, I suppose. But I like this. In my hands, I would work harder to mix/blend the overlapping areas, but thats more about personal pref.
I love how your posts encourage me to methodically examine your sounds/composition, I feel I'm learning something consciously and/or subconsciously.
thanks, jazzy. :-) nancy doesn't like it much ... or, more accurately, she loves some of the skipped snippets but doesn't like the constant shifting from one world to the next to the next to the next, etc. i figured she'd react that way. damn continuity ... it's (one of the) banes of my musical existence! ;-)

I also think it works 'as is'. The way things move in & out gives me the impression of walking through a circular set of rotating rooms where sometimes things overlap between rooms- not sure if that makes sense, but perhaps it's enough to say I enjoyed the effect. :)
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

synthgeek wrote:I also think it works 'as is'. The way things move in & out gives me the impression of walking through a circular set of rotating rooms where sometimes things overlap between rooms- not sure if that makes sense, but perhaps it's enough to say I enjoyed the effect. :)
thanks for the listen/comment, synthgeek. nancy said she felt like she was being shown, page by page, an audio catalog ... i like your room by room spin better. :-)

i personally like this as is, i wouldn't add anything to it or the details would get lost in the mix. the title fits well and helped to guide me to listen to this as a string of evolving micro-pieces, like an electroacoustic suite or theme and variations.

thanks jopy. :-) it's nice to have you back here in the kvr fold.

here's a v2:

escher test v2

i just polished it up a bit, dovetailed things a bit more nicely, threw a little asymmetry in there for good measure. (and added reverb, though i doubt you can hear it: my kind of reverb, borderline inaudible.)

i don't know if i've just gotten used to this, having listened like 100 times while creating/editing it, but there's something about it i find very charming and in an odd way ... moving.
Last edited by rachmiel on Wed May 12, 2010 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

No idea whether either version would be good for anything else, but add to me to the "as is" group. I like this/these very much, and it's not just you--I find it/them charming and moving too. Thanks.
No longer a moderator.

Return to “Music Cafe”