Tactile Sounds Substance Pre-release - Call for patches

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
KVRAF
12522 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 pm

Here is another update of my Substance patches. I added a pad plus some leads and basses. Now i reached 64 patches and i guess it will take some time to do some more since at the moment i'm a bit out of ideas, at least for the next days...

UPDATE 10.7.2010 (96 patches + fixes for latest version):
http://rapidshare.com/files/406107742/I ... t.zip.html

link for the latest version of Substance: http://www.mediafire.com/file/jmgoetzww ... stance.zip
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

KVRer

Topic Starter

19 posts since 23 Apr, 2010

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:23 pm

Thanks again Ingo, you've been working like a demon.

KVRAF
7883 posts since 16 Apr, 2003 from -on the outside looking in

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:40 pm

I've had a chance to tool around a bit and I must say it sounds great! The spread is magic: lets me hit those swirly dark low notes. I'll try and post some presets for you, tambien. :)
..what goes around comes around..

User avatar
KVRAF
12522 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:57 pm

Tactile Sounds wrote:Thanks again Ingo, you've been working like a demon.
Thanks Jonathan, the synth is really fun to program. :love:

Next plans are to do more famous patches from e.g. Genesis, Vangelis, Jarre, Pink Floyd. Some are already in the first 64 patches.


ouroboros wrote:I've had a chance to tool around a bit and I must say it sounds great! The spread is magic: lets me hit those swirly dark low notes. I'll try and post some presets for you, tambien. :)
Yes, the "Spread" feature is really magic! Perfect for pads, strings but also other kind of patches. Be careful to use it with the Ring modulator because this could result in unusable sounds.
I am looking forward to your presets. Finally Jonathan and i are not the only ones... :)

There's still a chance that Rob Lee will do some patches too if he finds some free time.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

KVRer

Topic Starter

19 posts since 23 Apr, 2010

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:42 am

Ingonator wrote:Be careful to use it with the Ring modulator because this could result in unusable sounds.
I'm confused. :?

User avatar
KVRAF
12522 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:14 am

Tactile Sounds wrote:
Ingonator wrote:Be careful to use it with the Ring modulator because this could result in unusable sounds.
I'm confused. :?
Maybe but i found if you use the Ringmodulator together with the Spread turned up too high the result is quite crazy and/or sometimes unusable, at least for my ears. You could test this with some of my Ringmod patches. BTW i used a quite high Spread in the patch "IW Ringmod Pad 1". Maybe you could turn the Spread (and /or the OSC1 coarse tune) up and down to hear the results. Baically what happens is that the vibrato is turned up to a very high rate.
Anyway if you want to have some of those crazy (or better: more inharmonic...) sounds, maybe for FX sounds, it's your thing... :D

Finally this is a quite extreme kind of setting so i wouldn't call it a problem. :)


PS:
Another "magic" feature for me is to use a combination/mixture of the different filter types (e.g LP + BR or LP + HP or LP + BP + BR) in the SVF filter. A combination with the 24dB LPF could be also very nice. :)
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

KVRist
288 posts since 3 Feb, 2007 from Netherlands, Roermond

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:30 am

Tactile Sounds wrote:It's really important to me that the factory bank of presets sounds great, so if you enjoy programming synths, your help would be welcomed.
Ok. :) I'll make some tonight...

User avatar
KVRAF
12522 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:53 pm

I just checked my Rapidshare account and found that already 51 people downloaded my latest Substance patches. Seems like the community of Substance users is growing. :)

BTW currently i raised the number of my Substance patches from 64 to 76 and some more will follow today. I already added more strings and pads and also some organs and an FM EPiano. I also corrected 2 patches which didn't sound like they should. A new thing is that i made pads which use Crossmodulation. The difference to my FM pads is that they use different waveforms (not only sine or triangle) and the modulator is not switched off in the mixer. The restriction for the modulator in this case is that the harmonics are not set too high.

I'll publish the new patches tomorrow morning.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

KVRer

Topic Starter

19 posts since 23 Apr, 2010

Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:11 am

A new version of Substance is available, incorporating all of Ingo's patches, and a few more of my own, organized into sounds and alphabetized.

There are also some new features:

1. Ring Mod - choose the modulation sources
2. Filter Mod Source - new choices (Aftertouch, Mod Wheel, Expression, Bender)

and some features have been removed/changed:

1. Just one knob to control oscillator pitch bend amount
2. Filter pitch bend removed from performance section

You can download it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/125yzjnwu ... stance.zip

The old version has been removed to avoid confusion. Thanks for the kind words and the patches.

Have fun!

User avatar
KVRAF
12522 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:31 am

Tactile Sounds wrote:A new version of Substance is available, incorporating all of Ingo's patches, and a few more of my own, organized into sounds and alphabetized.

There are also some new features:

1. Ring Mod - choose the modulation sources
2. Filter Mod Source - new choices (Aftertouch, Mod Wheel, Expression, Bender)

and some features have been removed/changed:

1. Just one knob to control oscillator pitch bend amount
2. Filter pitch bend removed from performance section

You can download it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/125yzjnwu ... stance.zip

The old version has been removed to avoid confusion. Thanks for the kind words and the patches.

Have fun!
Hi Jonathan,

i wanted to add some Modwheel or Aftertouch filter modulation to some of my older patches but i found that this is quite a problem.
The problem is that even if the Modwheel or Aftertouch is turned off (=set to zero) the "Mod" knob in both filter sections applies a drastic change in the filter cutoff which means it totally changes the sound even without using the Modwheel at all. What's even more surprising is that the "Mod" knob used this way changes the sound be be thinner than fatter like it would be expected. When the Modwheel is used is sounds more or less as expected but with turning it off the whole sound is changed like described above. :o :shock:


Ingo


PS: New patches will come either this evening or tomorrow morning.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

KVRer

Topic Starter

19 posts since 23 Apr, 2010

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:14 am

Ingonator wrote:the "Mod" knob in both filter sections applies a drastic change in the filter cutoff which means it totally changes the sound even without using the Modwheel at all.
The "Mod" knob controls the depth of modulation applied to the envelope portion of the filter cutoff. If you set "Mod" to 10, then it has, as you say, a drastic effect, however if the setting is lower, the effect is more subtle.
Ingonator wrote:What's even more surprising is that the "Mod" knob used this way changes the sound be be thinner than fatter like it would be expected. When the Modwheel is used is sounds more or less as expected but with turning it off the whole sound is changed like described above.
If "Mod" is set to 10, and "Mod Wheel" is selected as "Mod Source", then the amount by which the envelope effects the cutoff frequency is completely controlled by the mod wheel, so when the mod wheel is at 0, the envelope has no effect on the filter.

Let's say you're working with IW Lead Mini 01. "EG" is set to 7.9, so if you want the patch to sound the same when the mod wheel is at 0, turn "EG" up to 10, and set "Mod" to 2.1. When you move the mod wheel up, the filter will open up a little, and the sound will be brighter.

Sorry for the confusion. I'll update the manual when I get a chance.

User avatar
KVRAF
12522 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:50 am

Tactile Sounds wrote:
Ingonator wrote:the "Mod" knob in both filter sections applies a drastic change in the filter cutoff which means it totally changes the sound even without using the Modwheel at all.
The "Mod" knob controls the depth of modulation applied to the envelope portion of the filter cutoff. If you set "Mod" to 10, then it has, as you say, a drastic effect, however if the setting is lower, the effect is more subtle.
Ingonator wrote:What's even more surprising is that the "Mod" knob used this way changes the sound be be thinner than fatter like it would be expected. When the Modwheel is used is sounds more or less as expected but with turning it off the whole sound is changed like described above.
If "Mod" is set to 10, and "Mod Wheel" is selected as "Mod Source", then the amount by which the envelope effects the cutoff frequency is completely controlled by the mod wheel, so when the mod wheel is at 0, the envelope has no effect on the filter.

Let's say you're working with IW Lead Mini 01. "EG" is set to 7.9, so if you want the patch to sound the same when the mod wheel is at 0, turn "EG" up to 10, and set "Mod" to 2.1. When you move the mod wheel up, the filter will open up a little, and the sound will be brighter.

Sorry for the confusion. I'll update the manual when I get a chance.
Now i guess i understand. It's a bit different to most other synths but i'll see how i could use it in my patches. The "normal" way how i know it would be that e.g. the Modwheel controls the cutoff amount and not the EG amount.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

User avatar
KVRAF
12522 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Post Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:43 pm

Hi everyone,

after some days here is the new update for my TS Substance patches. At the moment it contains 87 patches:

UPDATE 10.7.2010 (96 patches + fixes for latest version):
http://rapidshare.com/files/406107742/I ... t.zip.html

link for the latest version of Substance: http://www.mediafire.com/file/jmgoetzww ... stance.zip

Here is a short description of what i added/changed:

- categories of new patches: Strings, Brass, Pads, Vox, Keys (e.g. Organs)

- to make everything easier i used the naming of the patches how Jonathan did in the last factory bank (= first my signature, then category and then the name). example: "IW Brass Oxygene"

- i added some more "classic" patches (from e.g. Vangelis, Jarre and others)

- small changes/fixes in a few older patches

- pitchbend modulation is added to all patches

- i tried to use new features like the new Ringmod source selection and filter Modwheel modulation in some patches

- some patches use Crossmodulation ("X-Mod"). Opposing to the FM patches the Modulator (=OSC1) is also used as a sound source in those patches.

- many patches use Aftertouch or Modwheel modulation. Example: the patch "IW Brass Oxygene" could be either used to play "Oxygene 4" or when the Modwheel is used for "Oxygene 8" (at least approximately...).


At the moment i have the feeling i could reach a full 128 patches bank for Substance but having in mind that the last 23 patches took around 5 days i could not give a time when this could be finished. A guess would be at least 1-2 weeks. Anyway i think that my and Jonathans current patches quite well show off the features and the basic sound of Substance.

Some other people here (e.g. Ouroboros and Yuroun) already announced to do some patches so i'll be looking forward to those... :)

------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:
As some people maybe have noticed i made two patches (pad + keys) from Jan Hammer's "Crockett's Theme". I just got the "Vintage Samplers II" sample set from Hollow Sun which seems to include the original Fairlight Vox/Choir sound from that song. Some approximations could also be found in the "Vox" category of my patches. With the original sample being available now i'll try if i could come closer to it since this is one of the smoothest and most beautiful Vox/Choir sounds IMO. This could fail due to the original sound being a sample but i'll see.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:
Programming the Fairlight Choir seems almost impossible but i started reprogramming some Jupiter 8 pads based on Arturia Jupiter 8V patches which is even more fun... :)
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

KVRAF
6021 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:35 pm

Hey this synth sounds really good! Great job on this :)

The presets are nice as well!

User avatar
KVRAF
12522 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Post Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:16 pm

Examigan wrote:Hey this synth sounds really good! Great job on this :)
+1000 :D
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Return to “Instruments”