Making free samples available...

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

well said. thank you.

OK guys, this is it:
HISE is an open source audio framework for building virtual instruments and effects.

It emphasizes on sampling, but includes some basic synthesis features for making hybrid instruments. You can build patches, design a custom interface and compile them as VST / AU plugin or iOS app.
http://hartinstruments.net/hise/

HISE is built around the JUCE framework. According to its description, the sampler features include Disk Streaming, cross fade looping, Sample Start Modulation and Round Robin group.
Most importantly, HISE is scriptable via Javascript.

Check the list of features.

The license is GPL3 for free libraries, or commercial for commercial libraries. If you want to release a precompiled library (VSTi or AU), you'll need to purchase a JUCE license.

And here is some feedback about the current project from someone with some hands on experience:
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=30

hollowsun wrote: What about web hosting services offering 'Unlimited bandwidth'? Read the small print.

This is meant to help. I hope it does.
Even though you posted this about 6 years ago, it's still helpful. It saved me from making the mistake you mentioned. I have "unlimited bandwidth" that on closer inspection is not truly unlimited. Fortunately, I was able to upload my nearly 1 Gig sample library to multiple sources (microsoft one drive and archive.org) to lighten the load on my server. So far, everything seems to be ok.
Paul Battersby
My free orchestral sample library @ http://virtualplaying.com

Nowadays developers store their code in repositories using systems like Git, it is a good choice also for instrument sample developers, on places like GitHub or GitLab. For that purpose we have created https://github.com/sfzinstruments for example.

redtide wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:19 am Nowadays developers store their code in repositories using systems like Git, it is a good choice also for instrument sample developers, on places like GitHub or GitLab. For that purpose we have created https://github.com/sfzinstruments for example.
Its not that good a choice; GIT's mechanisms for binary files are lacking, and the mooted solution, Git LFS isnt a brilliant solution to that.

Yes, you can use a Git repository site like GitHub for samples. But that's not necessarily Git, and realistically, Git itself has very little usefulness for audiofiles.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Right: you can use GitHub and GitLab without using Git (as a downloading user; you may need to use it to upload but it's easy.)

Also, these sites aren't ideal for generic samples. But they're great for sample sets (e.g., sampled instruments.) For that case, they provide an easy way to post a sample set with description, licensing, control files, and any additional info, with an easy and very fast way for people to download. For SFZ format smple sets, large file support isn't required. Admittedly they're not ideal for binary files, but that's more of a problem for the sites than for users (either those posting sample sets or those looking for them.) They may not be ideal for generic samples, but they're really quite good for sample sets (e.g., sampled instruments.)

The biggest downside to these sites for sampled instruments is no star ratings and no fancy graphics (unless you can do that in the README.md file) and no search support. That is, they're great as archives, but not as front ends for people looking for instruments. Another disadvantage is that there will be considerable differences in structure between different repos.

I just found redtide's group mentioned above, https://github.com/sfzinstruments . That's probably where I will host my sample sets, rather than using my own repos.

Well, GitHub might not be flashy, but I believe most people here aren't looking for such things per se. Just having a reliable archive that can be accessed for years to come is as great as it comes and it's great that things like this exist.
Take care :wink:

consordini wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:48 am Well, GitHub might not be flashy, but I believe most people here aren't looking for such things per se. Just having a reliable archive that can be accessed for years to come is as great as it comes and it's great that things like this exist.
Bingo. Plus it's FAST.

Freesound.org and Archive.org are the best websites for long term hosting of free samples.

SampleScience wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:23 pm Freesound.org and Archive.org are the best websites for long term hosting of free samples.
Best in what way, and for what kind of samples? To me, they seem like they're good for audio files you'd use directly, like loops or sound effects. (I got some great thunders from freesound.)

I haven't found anything better than github for SFZ-format sample sets, because you can organize the files & directories however you want, and download is incredibly fast, in a convenient format (zip.) Also, you can have a nice cover page that explains anything you want to explain (without being limited to a small blurb), as well as an MP3 demo file that people can click on to listen to.

However, it doesn't have ratings and comments (though you can comment as an "issue") nor does it have a search feature. So, it's great for archival and download, but not ideal for browsing and searching.

My experience downloading samples from Github has been bad, with Freesound and Archive.org, it might be slow for some people but at least you got a complete download, which hasn't been the case when I tried downloading the VSO Sfz and samples, the download would always cut before the file could be completely downloaded... The only plus for Github is that it won't go anywhere because it's owned by Microsoft and they don't plan on changing the site's mission (at least in the foreseeable future).

I think something's wrong at your end or in between. Thousands of companies rely on GitHub for their work. Scads of people use GitHub and this is the first I've ever heard of anyone not being able to get good download service. I suggest you try it again.

Can Freesound and Archive even keep an SFZ? As one download?
Last edited by JeffLearman on Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If you ask GitHub to download the content of a big repo as a .zip file, you're at the mercy of the deamons ruling the interwebz. No guarantees it gets on your doorstep in one piece.

If you use git as intended (cloning the repo and pulling, committing & pushing) it communicates in tiny packages and it's very fault tolerant.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Thanks Bert -- I've never had a problem, pulling down big sample sets (100's of MB) as zips.

Note that there are known issues for downloading repos with large files as zips. So, GitHub would be a poor choice for SF2 files, or SFZ sample sets where all the audio samples are bundled into one audio file (the way Sforzando/Aria decodes sf2 files.)

I really love Splice. The monthly fee is worth it to me, since they're all high quality and wind up getting used at some point in a project.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”