Progressive house track - a work in progress

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Kraku
KVRian
1408 posts since 13 Oct, 2003 from Prague, Czech Republic

Post Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:51 am

EDIT:
Here's the finished track:
Aflecht - Carbon Diet Lifeforms

I could have used a few more days to tweak this but f**k it. I'll move on to work on the next track now.

All feedback is welcome.

------original post----------

I'm writing a new track which started as a lofi drum sound test while I was drunk last weekend. It's progressive house I believe.

It's a work in progress, but I'd like to hear comments so far what people (don't) like about it.

Here's the track:
...work in progress...

EDIT:

UPDATED VERSION: ...work in progress, update 1...
Last edited by Kraku on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

AlienXXX
KVRist
135 posts since 5 Nov, 2009

Post Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:04 pm

Hello Kraku,

I like everything in yur track except one thing: the synth sound that comes in at around 48s into the song. It does not blend in.

To start with, it seems to lack reverb compared with other sounds in the sound. Although this can be intentional to make it sound more forward in the mix (i.e., closer to the listener), it could do with a bit more reverb to make blend better with the pads in the foreground. I think it stands out too much.
I have listened to the song through my laptop speakers and also through some good quality headphones. I think the effect is more notorious through the laptop speakers.

Maybe the problem with this sound is that I personally don't like it. I do not think it is the right kind of sound at all.
Maybe you could try replacing it with piano notes?
A heavily distorted guitar with lots of echo/reverb might also work nicely.
If you are set on using a synth sound, I would suggest a "buzzing" detuned saw (rave style) sort of sound. Again with some reverb to help it blend in.

I hope I did not sound too critical. I am trying to provide constructive feedback on the only item of the sound that I do not like.
I actually very much like the tune. I think it has a "magnetic" rhythm and feel to it. Good choice of bass sound and pads and a very engaging melody.
Good use of reverb: creates a real sense of space in the track without being overdone or overwhelming.
With the exception of that one sound, everything blends in very nicely. Fix that and this is a very enjoyable track that would easily find itself on my mp3 player.

fateamenabletochange
KVRAF
3056 posts since 13 Jul, 2003 from outer rim

Post Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:25 pm

beats sound great

I agree about synth at 48 sec, sounds so thin compared to the rest....it could still be thin and high pitched, but would balance things out if it were 'really' piercing, with a long reverb tail off ??

djanthonyw
KVRAF
7055 posts since 20 Jul, 2004

Post Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:36 pm

My gripe is the bass. You have a good atmosphere here, I really like the arp and progression but I think you should try coming up with a better groove than the typical middle offbeat sequence when the kick is playing.
You are currently reading my signature.

Kraku
KVRian

Post Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:31 am

@AlienXXX:
Don't worry. This was exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping to receive. It's just a rare occasion when it actually happens.

@AlienXXX & fateamenabletochange:
Good point about the melody instrument's sound. I wasn't so sure about it when I came up with it. Now I know it needs to be fixed. I'll come up with some other instrument for that little melody :)

@djanthonyw:
Hmm, not sure what you mean by middle offbeat sequence in this case. In progressive house the mood usually stays "properly relaxed" if the bass keeps more steady than groovy. In the regular house and electro house the groove is of course mandatory.

Kraku
KVRian

Post Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:56 am

Here's a little bit updated version of the track:

work in progress, updated version

dark_virus
KVRAF
1605 posts since 28 Jun, 2007 from Amazon rain forest

Post Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:23 pm

I liked it, you have a good atmosphere and lots of potential directions on this sample.

Also, I like the offbeat bass, it drives the track very well. Of course it could have a more syncopated bassline, but I don't think it's too important.

The synth at 0:47 could be more harsh, because it's too "filtered". The track seems to have enough spare frequencies (at this point), so a more bright synth wouldn't hurt other parts. Or you could use an automated low-pass filter, openning slowly until it reaches the full open position, at 1:17.

I hope to listen the complete work soon! :)

Kraku
KVRian

Post Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:13 am

Here's the finished track:
Aflecht - Carbon Diet Lifeforms

I also updated the original post so it'll contain a link to this finished track.

fateamenabletochange
KVRAF
3056 posts since 13 Jul, 2003 from outer rim

Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:23 pm

cool, this sounds good, quite hypnotic and some great sounds

Kraku
KVRian

Post Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:15 am

Yay :) Thanks!

Return to “Music Cafe”