Toilet Bowl Resonance - How do I get it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That's right, totally serious...I want to make something sound like it's in the toilet and have tried every Search term I could think of here & on Google with no results.

I'm in FL Studio 9 playing with the Fruity Filter, 7-Band & parametric EQ as well as the Depth & Speed settings in the Chorus & Flangers/Phasers.

I'm getting almost-but-not-quite there and it seems that the Parametric gets the closest. I have yet to look into third-party versions of these effects and have no doubt that there are reverbs that may have Toilet Bowl Resonance among the selection of Virtual Spaces...if there is Freeware that can do it, then even better. Currently searching the Database & have found 2 or 3 things that I will try soon.

In the meantime, if anyone can tell me what frequencies to boost/cut on the Parametric - for example - or whatever will get me closer, then I can go from there.

How do you know what it sounds like inside the toilet?

Best bet might be a convolution reverb - I'm sure somebody must have made a toilet bowl impulse response. But, not all toilets sound the same - which model do you have in mind exactly? A vintage Armitage Shanks?

Actually, once, I attempted a toilet bowl reverb in RealVerb before it became part of the UA bundles. I thought it was quite close to be honest.

Do you actually know what the sound is?
Never stuck my hea down a toilet bowl so I wouldn't have a clue.
My guess would be something like a telephone preset with a bit of cold reverb on it.
I'm sure someone will be able to help you.
As you're using FL ask on the official FL forum.There are some guys there that may help you get what you're aiming for using FL plug-ins.
Good Luck
:)

well, the original war of the worlds broadcast used a mayonaise jar opening held above the water in a toilet to simulate the sound of the space ship opening :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

thecontrolcentre wrote:How do you know what it sounds like inside the toilet?
It's an easy sound...

...easy like Sunday Morning. :lol:

jay440 wrote:That's right, totally serious...I want to make something sound like it's in the toilet and have tried every Search term I could think of here & on Google with no results.

I'm in FL Studio 9 playing with the Fruity Filter, 7-Band & parametric EQ as well as the Depth & Speed settings in the Chorus & Flangers/Phasers.

I'm getting almost-but-not-quite there and it seems that the Parametric gets the closest. I have yet to look into third-party versions of these effects and have no doubt that there are reverbs that may have Toilet Bowl Resonance among the selection of Virtual Spaces...if there is Freeware that can do it, then even better. Currently searching the Database & have found 2 or 3 things that I will try soon.

In the meantime, if anyone can tell me what frequencies to boost/cut on the Parametric - for example - or whatever will get me closer, then I can go from there.
Perhaps this will help you.

i'm too scared to look at the link.
Why'd you slice off my hand?

gareth stephens wrote:Best bet might be a convolution reverb - I'm sure somebody must have made a toilet bowl impulse response. But, not all toilets sound the same - which model do you have in mind exactly? A vintage Armitage Shanks?

Actually, once, I attempted a toilet bowl reverb in RealVerb before it became part of the UA bundles. I thought it was quite close to be honest.
Good suggestion.I can't remember where I found it but I did happen across some experimental impulse files with ,amongst other things (if I remember correctly),impulse wavs from inside a doll head and a tin can.
TONEDEAD Love Sharts

use the phaser at http://xhip.cjb.net/effects

set stages to 24 (64 might work better, you can try 128) and "max" to zero. adjust "min" up around 90%, set feedback at about 15%, fiddle with it a little bit.

remember that what you might imagine is a "toilet bowl" is in fact a combination of the room reverb, reflection from the surface of the water, reverb inside the bowl and other effects.

i also have a reverb which is ideal for modeling this - but it isn't available yet.

ideally you'd combine in this order:

a delay of 1-5ms for the water surface reflection ->
a phaser (allpass) set at a low frequency (use the phaser with 128 stages, min at 10% or so) (this models the hysteresis of the water surface) ->
a phaser (allpass) as i described first ->
room reverb ->
post eq
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

hi there!

if you want "that" toilet sound....use contact mic and normal dynamic mic to record vibrations of toilet bowl resonances and the initial reverb of bathroom or toilet bowl.....
thats sd's advice on that sound... :)

What you really need is a plugin designer who is also an accredited plumber!

Kmeister wrote:I did happen across some experimental impulse files
http://www.intelligentmachinery.net/?page_id=114
"Most people who experiment with drugs are not lying in the streets, suffocating on their own vomit. If you want to see some of that, go to the Pub on Saturday night at closing time." ozwest

megadude wrote:i'm too scared to look at the link.
It's better than getting rickrolled (which of course I didn't know had to be disguised in some manner.)

is it for a puking sound in a movie? record the real thing ;) (or at least a guy gagging sounds and dropping of something in the bowl)
or find an ampty toilet and play your sounds in it and record the sound(even do an impulse of the toilet)

Return to “Effects”