One-Synth-Challenge 21 - Majken's Chimera!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
3245 posts since 28 Dec, 2007

Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:48 pm

And we're off again on what might be, by all accounts, a grand adventure ... or a series of unfortunate events :) ... Welcome to the 21st One-Synth-Challenge.

The choosing of the featured synth has already been eventful and non-eventful at the same time. This is the last OSC where we will use a synth chosen by ( ahem... ) the last placed participant in a previous comp .... and it has ended up the responsibilty of the 4th last placed participant in OSC18.
Gravejester has chosen Majken's Chimera as the featured synth. It would appear to be one of those 'Marmite' synths .... love it or hate it? ... nevertheless, it is different, and it will be a challenge .... therefore consider the right boxes ticked!

Create a track using only Chimera for all the sounds, including percussion!

Download Chimera here ....
http://www.majken.se/index.php?option=c ... 3&Itemid=9

* * * * * * THE RULES ( please read fully) * * * * * *

The track can be made in any host.

All the sounds in our tracks will be created by Chimera

* * * FX * * *
Fx are limited to Delay ( unmodulated ), static spatial ( reverb, ambience, ADT etc ), dynamics ( comp, limit, gate ), EQ ( inc. exciters etc ) and stereo fx ( pan/autopan/width enhancers etc )
If in doubt, give us a shout. :)

..... Important!......
Other than the hosts native EQ,
All Fx used must .....
**be freeware, and easily available via download.
**generally usable in a wide range of hosts
**not be used in such a way as to transform the sounds to a degree
which makes them unrecognisable as those achievable from Chimera
..... otherwise you will be strung up by the ring modulators, confronted with a range of mystery lifeforms and be forced to play name it or eat it! :x

.... Fx footnote .... it is a generally held view that in the spirit of the comp, although we all like to create and hear well produced tracks, we should use as few Fx as we dare! ... it all adds to the challenge!

*** There is no track length limit.... but be aware of the prevalence of ARISTOTLE syndrome ( All Right, I'm Suddenly Thinking, Ouch That's Long Enough ) :)

* * * * * How to Submit your Track * * * * *

**** Finished tracks, in mp3 format, should be uploaded here ...
http://soundcloud.com/groups/kvr-one-sy ... ge/dropbox

All tracks, and info re this and previous comps can be accessed on the dedicated OSC site here...
http://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/home

For the sake of clarity, name your track in the following format ...

.... Title of Track - Artist Name ( in that order pleeeze! )

When you have successfully uploaded your track, announce your submission in the thread, and give brief details of what you have used ( host, how many instances of Chimera, which fx, how many instances.. etc. )

**Please do NOT post separate, external links to tracks you wish to be included in the comp.

CLOSING DATE for submissions is Sunday 31st October 2010

* * * * * How is the comp judged? * * * * *

The comp will be judged by the votes of KVR members. Depending on the number of submitted tracks, the voting may take the shape of a single vote poll, or a more flexible multiple vote option.

* * * * * And the prizes? * * * * *

@@ Rob_lee has again generously donated some patchbanks.

@@ Karmacomposer may provide a prize.

@@ Luftrum has again donated Luftrum5 - a ReFill for Reason featuring a standalone soundbank by Ishq. http://www.luftrum.com/

@@ MaxSynths has donated a copy of the excellent Cryologic, a copy of Teutonic Tension, and aPiano to the prize pool.

@@ Himalaya has donated one prize of a choice of any one sound bank as sold directly via his website.

@@ Ziokiller has donated one prize of a choice of any one of his plugins
http://www.genuinesoundware.com/

@@ .... depending on what is chosen by the winners and runners up of OSC20, there may be more!!

..... Big, big thanks once again to all the prize contributors for their superb, continued support! :tu:

.. ANY OTHER OFFERS OF PRIZES WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

.. PM me, or post in the thread if you wish to support OSC by donating a prize.. ( A great way to 'Plug your plugs' ) .... its never too late to offer a prize for this comp .... there's always a next one!

@@ I will attempt to rattle something together to add to the growing participants prize bundle..... possibly an e-album version of the comp, or maybe something else you might find useful or at least amusing for a few minutes
.......... So, nothing to lose, and plenty of time!

**** Good luck with those tracks! ...... and have fun!!! ****--------

KVRAF
3922 posts since 15 Dec, 2009

Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:14 pm

Thanks, this will be an interesting one to be sure and a marked change from Noisemaker. (although some irony in the naming as Chimera is the noisedriven synth). :P

But a plea to all to tag the MP3's as it can get somewhat confusing on an mp3 player what's what without. Here's a reminder how to do it:
  • - XP: Right-click file then: - > properties - > summary -> advanced
    - Vista: Right-click file then: - > properties - > Details
    - Win7: Make sure you are running as administrator then same as Vista above
    - Use Windows Media Player: In the library, right-click on the MP3 file and select "Advanced Tag Editor".
    - Use the free MP3Tag program

KVRist
40 posts since 26 Jul, 2009

Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:55 pm

I really like the sound of this synth, but it is going to take me some work to get good percussion sounds out of it. :help: any hints?

KVRist
342 posts since 17 Nov, 2007 from Perth, Western Australia

Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:33 pm

Okay mine's submitted (yeah I did in in 10 minutes)* ;)

10 tracks plus 10 instances of Chimera. Some with reverb, some with delay and almost no (but a little) compression at the end. All using Kjaerhaus modifications. Each track had to be rendered in order to "appear" in the final Abe Live mix. Very unstable puppy. But nice sounds - if you persevere.

EDIT: Magnus' Ambience is now no-nag freeware http://magnus.smartelectronix.com/
That was a bad joke. It took 20hrs+
Last edited by objectman on Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edwin James Lynch (aka "Objectman")
Dead Eddy | Day Job | Follow Me

KVRist
90 posts since 13 Aug, 2010

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:16 am

i have uploaded my track "joie" but i dont't see my track on soundcloud, it is normal ?

chimera : 6 instances :
fx : 0
daw : fl studio 9.

KVRist
444 posts since 13 Mar, 2008 from Finland

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:19 am

Uploaded track called Into the light.

FLStudio, 7 instances of Chimera, EpicVerb, Fruity EQ2, Classic Delay & Limiter.
And about 30 minutes :)

KVRAF

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:08 am

new kids on the block wrote:i have uploaded my track "joie" but i dont't see my track on soundcloud, it is normal ?
It can take a while to appear in the player sometimes, but if it's not there within 1 hour, something must have gone wrong so send it again: http://soundcloud.com/groups/kvr-one-sy ... ge/dropbox

KVRAF

Topic Starter

3245 posts since 28 Dec, 2007

Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:02 pm

Wow!! tracks in already??? ... you guys are crazy!! :hihi:

KVRist
42 posts since 3 Oct, 2010 from Albuquerque, NM USA

Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:55 pm

Before I get too far into this... is it legit to submit a cover/remix?

As I explored to the sounds the synth could make, I immediately thought of an existing song that fits chimera's style quite well. I don't want to put a lot of time into sequencing it, though, if that sort of thing is frowned upon.

KVRAF
3273 posts since 22 Jul, 2009

Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:00 am

Yeah mannie, i've never before seen this many early entries. This contest is really taking off!

loquat, for cymbals and snare, maybe try to find the 'oscillator waveform' equivalent, and see if there's a 'noise waveform.' For kicks and toms, try to find the equivalent of the 'amplifier or vca adsr?' (set the 'dsr' controls very low) We'll need an expert to 'chime' in on this.

Archon1024, as far as i know, covers are ok. But if memory serves, you might get less votes if your cover is easily recognized by the voters.

KVRian
1023 posts since 8 Apr, 2003 from Östersund

Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:49 am

Wow, I don't know what to say. You guys have just made my day, week and month for that matter. Thank you ever so much for choosing Chimera. This really means alot to me, I'm as happy as can be. :love:

If anyone has any questions about how Chimera is wired up or something along those lines, just ask. I'd say I have a pretty decent understanding of how it works.

KVRist
444 posts since 13 Mar, 2008 from Finland

Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:04 am

Majken, yea great synth! Perfect for atmospheres and textures. This was my first time trying the synth and was impressed :)
Definately going to keep it.

KVRAF

Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:07 am

Hi Majken, nice to see you here and thx for a cool synth that I see is still in the top 20 over at Gersic. :)

@Archon1024: I wouldn't mind a cover at all, but like MrBlitz says there's a risk it might suffer in the votes though I don't know if there ever was a cover submitted for OSC?

KVRist
124 posts since 15 Nov, 2007 from Brigadoon, Scotland

Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:59 am

I thought there was a cover in the OSC13 (Synth1) - Steplton's track. I could be wrong though. :P

MajorBloodnok
Red peppers in dynamite sauce? I must have been out of my mind!

KVRAF

Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:54 pm

Yes that's right, forgot.. :dog: But didn't hurt his score too much tho..

Now that I think of it, I believe Dwsel also did a cover once.

Return to “Instruments”