One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:02 am What about DSP56300? It seems to advance into interesting territory, though a single instance kills my 10-core Mac Pro easily… Might force everybody to do a single instance OSC…
:o This could be a suggestion for the 'Last Ever OSC'.
Could be a massive collaboration, where each participant contributes a single part! :D

Any good Access ROMS anyone? :hihi:

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:02 am What about DSP56300? It seems to advance into interesting territory, though a single instance kills my 10-core Mac Pro easily… Might force everybody to do a single instance OSC…
Oh, that's cool! It seems they have already come to something complete? I've read a bit about this and about emulations in general and although it's easy for me to get confused here... did I understand correctly that this emulator is legal in itself, but when we load ROMs into it, is not so legal anymore?

IV! wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:06 am [...] did I understand correctly that this emulator is legal in itself, but when we load ROMs into it, is not so legal anymore?
It's distributing the ROMs that's illegal, since it's a copyright infringement. If a ROM mysteriously manifests on your hard drive, nothing is going to happen to you. But those who put those on the internet will very probably be prosecuted. So torrenting them is a bad idea, since you're uploading at the same time you're downloading.

Another thing:
TrojakEW mentioned he developed a synth called Asper (he actually used in the Any Synth round), that he has not yet released.
Maybe that could be fun, to give it the OSC treatment.

That DSP56300 is very CPU hungry indeed. I can't even run a single instance realtime with most presets ( i7 950 ) Sounds excellent though. Well, it would, running at 108 or 136Mhz, wouldn't it ? Btw, ROMs are here: https://dbwbp.com/index.php/9-misc/37- ... rom-dumps.

SeBaer wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:48 am Another thing:
TrojakEW mentioned he developed a synth called Asper (he actually used in the Any Synth round), that he has not yet released.
Maybe that could be fun, to give it the OSC treatment.
Oh yeah! :tu: I love his synthesizers and am really looking forward to Asper! The only questions is how ready it is for release, and whether it is multiplatform.

ELEX wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:04 pm That DSP56300 is very CPU hungry indeed. I can't even run a single instance realtime with most presets ( i7 950 ) Sounds excellent though. Well, it would, running at 108 or 136Mhz, wouldn't it ? Btw, ROMs are here: https://dbwbp.com/index.php/9-misc/37- ... rom-dumps.
Haha, apparently at least half of us will be helpless with this emulator!)

Aha, the creator of K1v referred to the same site, that's when I saved it for myself)

IV! wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:45 pm Haha, apparently at least half of us will be helpless with this emulator!)
Well, that's one way to get rid of the competition. :lol:

I would almost suggest the freequel bundle by Noise Engineering, but it doesn't run on my CPU. It needs some instruction set beyond SSE4.

SeBaer wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:10 pm I would almost suggest the freequel bundle by Noise Engineering, but it doesn't run on my CPU. It needs some instruction set beyond SSE4.
That is strange. You got me curious, so I updated and find them to run just fine on a 12-year old i7 950, which according to Intel is SSE4. The plugins in seem to have improved since their initial release.

I had it running until last year september. When they updated it, even the updated installer wouldn't run anymore on my machine. I run a AMD Phenom II X4 925, which uses SSE4a.
The newly updated BazilleCM, requiring SSE4.2, doesn't run on my machine anymore. The other u-he freebies, which claim in the changelog to require SSE4.2 as well, do run. So I'm a little at loss here.

Mmm, shows how little I know. Wasn't really aware that significantly different SSE4 versions. Glad not everyone is requiring AVX yet. Then we'd be well and truly screwed. I guess a new machine machine will be required before long.

Due to the OSC effect usage restrictions plenty of these now FREE plugins by AudioDamage will not be of any use to us in OSC - But some of them we can from now on use: :party:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=577822

https://www.audiodamage.com/pages/free-and-legacy :tu:
Fusion

Speaking of Audio Damage: Basic would be a nice OSC synth. Phosphor also, but 32-bit only, so not suitable, I suspect.

I found about half of them don’t work on my Mac Pro, including Basic. I didn’t bother to install Phosphor, as I got Phosphor 3…

Return to “Instruments”