One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yadrichik_Chaya wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:51 am I'm a little confused though, is OPL free just like the OB-Xd is?
How else could it have been an OSC synth…?
(Not such a great deal by ADSR if that is the case…) :hihi:
Well, they link to the source-code, so I reckon it's open source like OB-Xd.
But sometimes small developers do a closed beta in the OSC community. Like SinMad last year.

Edit: even at the github release page you can only download a demo version.

Probably like Fusion for ZynAddSubFX? The shell is open source, but you pay for the compiled version or compile it yourself.

Yadrichik_Chaya wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:51 am I'm a little confused though, is OPL free just like the OB-Xd is?
Whoa I did not know they put KVR OSC tracks there. But we use JuceOPLVSTi and not not discoDSP. You can get free version here https://bsutherland.github.io/JuceOPLVSTi/. I do like this synth. It simple but quite good.

This could be good for OSC one month. There is a useful FREQ modulation you can use on the osc pitch for getting frequency accurate envelopes. Great for percussion.
It's in beta (I'm the developer) and I could give free copies to participants if they can help test it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wtfNEE00cE

exacoustics wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:40 am This could be good for OSC one month. There is a useful FREQ modulation you can use on the osc pitch for getting frequency accurate envelopes. Great for percussion.
It's in beta (I'm the developer) and I could give free copies to participants if they can help test it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wtfNEE00cE
Well, that one is guaranteed to make the crowd go wild ! Gotta love wavetable FM ! If you have not done so already, you might want to send our most esteemed organizers a PM on this as well. That would be @RichardSemper and @bjporter.

ELEX wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:00 am If you have not done so already, you might want to send our most esteemed organizers a PM on this as well. That would be @RichardSemper and @bjporter.
Thanks mate, I'll try sending them a message :)

exacoustics wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:01 am
ELEX wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:00 am If you have not done so already, you might want to send our most esteemed organizers a PM on this as well. That would be @RichardSemper and @bjporter.
Thanks mate, I'll try sending them a message :)
Also, most participants would gladly donate their patches for the factory bank, I guess.

That would be really nice. My uneducated guess is that once it is fairly stable that @richardsemper and @bjporter will think this is a splendid idea!
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

Could not be worse than last month's novation V-station. Some patches I had to retune pretty every session :neutral:

Ghost would be great one and seems to be pretty stable already in my quick testing...

SeBaer wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:23 am
Well, they link to the source-code, so I reckon it's open source like OB-Xd.
But sometimes small developers do a closed beta in the OSC community. Like SinMad last year.

Edit: even at the github release page you can only download a demo version.
What a lot of users misunderstand about "Free Open-Source Software" is that the freedom is primarily for the benefit of the programmer, not the user. The benefit the user receives depends upon the good-will of programmers to release their work. There is no requirement under the GPL licenses for example to publish anything at all - the license only requires that if you do publish one part, you have to publish the source-code as well - but it does not require the materials be "free" as in "free beer".

The GNU GPL was originally invented by Richard Stallman (and others) where to the best of my knowledge the inspiration was primarily sourced from the realization that their own past work could be "locked away" by proprietary copyright licenses that restricted their freedom to improve upon their own creations. This led to the realization of the greater harm such has on society as a whole - where copyright was originally intended for the betterment of society - but had become counter-productive.

It's a legal "technical" solution to what was viewed as a "technical" problem that led to copyright contradicting its own intended purpose from a moral point of view. It's definitely something formed from a programmer's worldview, IMO.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

aciddose wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:36 pm It's a legal "technical" solution to what was viewed as a "technical" problem that led to copyright contradicting its own intended purpose from a moral point of view. It's definitely something formed from a programmer's worldview, IMO.
I never thought that the interpretation of free software related to the benefit of the society can be turned around. I as a user see clearly benefit for me in free software. I also see clearly the benefit for commercial companies in closed source software undoubtedly. Your perspective makes sense for slaveholders who think their hired programmers are their property. Even huge companies realize that free software benefits all, the society, the users and their business…
Free and closed software both rely on the same copyright. Its the right of those who create, not a right of those who sell…
Any creator has a free choice, and as user I respect that choice…

Our good friend @The Sound Of Merlin is getting good exposure and that is very well-deserved! :party: :tu: :D

In my mailbox this month:

https://cherryaudio.com/news/elka-x-dem ... -of-merlin

And then this amazing demonstration of using Sixth Sample's Deelay PE:
https://soundcloud.com/sixthsample/deel ... ron-reverb
With all the fx, amp and synth emulations out there, not to mention AI, you can finally sound like…? Someone else and something that has already been done! :clap: :tu: :party: ------- :scared:

Khs one is discontinued mac/win
Scroll down this link to find installer

https://kilohearts.com/docs/download_and_installation
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Of the synthesizers from Audio Damage, I vote for Phosphor!) The polyphonic additive is more interesting than the monophonic subtractive, for a change, IMHO)

Return to “Instruments”