photosounder

Official support for: photosounder.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello Forum people,

Was just re-reading my posts here and the replies.

Photosounder is really keeping me interested. (Have been looking at new
quad core computer parts for my fast new computer because "messing" with something like Photosounder needs to be a "fluid" kind of working style...maybe

I wonder what is possible with photosounder?. Layers and stuff look
really interesting.

I just wish that there were some simple tutorials of the basics of
photosounder.

It's quite deceptive when you look at Photosounder from a distance because it's outward appearance seems quite simple. The images and colors are simple and even the few Tutorial videos are quite simple. Even the small MANUAL is quite simple.

This simplicity, however, disguises what i feel is a far more interesting and
powerful sound tool.

As your email states, you wish you had made more "basic" explanational tutorials of the fundamental usage of Photosounder. This can ONLY be a good idea.

The reason i say YES to more simple tutorials is in the hope that it will improve my USAGE of Photosounder when i buy it!

I noticed how NOISE removal jobs are intricate. These videos are all very useful.

Essentially i am very interested in this sound tool. Don't ask me why cos i
don't really know it's just grabbed me. (i think it's the faithful GRABBING
of a kick drum that impressed me)

I hope to be realistic with photosounder. I am currently thinking about possible ANGLES on using photosounder in many ways.

Other tools grab me...but this Photosounder looks particularly interesting.
However, i do feel that a quad core machine is needed. Again, don't ask me why
cos i don't know.It's just me!

One thing i notice you said....which is honest and to the point. "You find instrument isolation to be a frustrating process".

I am a bit silly really....i have NOT chosen a very "clear rudimentary sound" to strip from a song. I will go ahead and try to do this with a very clear cut sound in a mix..... it needs to be aurally well defined and i feel the over-all song must NOT contain COMPLEX orchestral organic sound layers in it.

It looks to me like you "get out of photosounder" what you "put in" in terms of effort. I would like to share any of my worthy efforts here.

Vince.

vinceASPECT wrote:Hello Forum people,

Was just re-reading my posts here and the replies.

Photosounder is really keeping me interested. (Have been looking at new
quad core computer parts for my fast new computer because "messing" with something like Photosounder needs to be a "fluid" kind of working style...maybe

I wonder what is possible with photosounder?. Layers and stuff look
really interesting.

I just wish that there were some simple tutorials of the basics of
photosounder.

It's quite deceptive when you look at Photosounder from a distance because it's outward appearance seems quite simple. The images and colors are simple and even the few Tutorial videos are quite simple. Even the small MANUAL is quite simple.

This simplicity, however, disguises what i feel is a far more interesting and
powerful sound tool.

As your email states, you wish you had made more "basic" explanational tutorials of the fundamental usage of Photosounder. This can ONLY be a good idea.

The reason i say YES to more simple tutorials is in the hope that it will improve my USAGE of Photosounder when i buy it!

I noticed how NOISE removal jobs are intricate. These videos are all very useful.

Essentially i am very interested in this sound tool. Don't ask me why cos i
don't really know it's just grabbed me. (i think it's the faithful GRABBING
of a kick drum that impressed me)

I hope to be realistic with photosounder. I am currently thinking about possible ANGLES on using photosounder in many ways.

Other tools grab me...but this Photosounder looks particularly interesting.
However, i do feel that a quad core machine is needed. Again, don't ask me why
cos i don't know.It's just me!

One thing i notice you said....which is honest and to the point. "You find instrument isolation to be a frustrating process".

I am a bit silly really....i have NOT chosen a very "clear rudimentary sound" to strip from a song. I will go ahead and try to do this with a very clear cut sound in a mix..... it needs to be aurally well defined and i feel the over-all song must NOT contain COMPLEX orchestral organic sound layers in it.

It looks to me like you "get out of photosounder" what you "put in" in terms of effort. I would like to share any of my worthy efforts here.

Vince.
You're right about the simplicity. The goal for a successful interface design is for it to look as simple as necessary while easily enabling you to do all it can do. Tutorials are my second top priority after coding (and sometimes they have to wait until I code something necessary for the tutorial) and I intend to make new ones soon. I noticed that a lot of people have no clue about what the layer system is or does, so I'll definitely need to do something about it. This being said it's all quite simple, which is why I'm surprised its usage isn't more readily understood.

By the way, that instrument you want to remove, I assume that it has several occurrences throughout the sound file you're working on, right? As in, it's being played more than once. You can use that to your advantage. Long story short, you can create a duplicate of the original image on a new layer, move it around with the Move tool so that two different instances of the instrument are superposed. Then by setting the top layer's blending mode to Minimum it would only keep what the two have in common and therefore do a good job at removing the other sounds that are not there in the same place with respect to the two instances of your instrument. I need to make a tutorial about it I guess. Actually I could probably use your sample to make the tutorial.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

Hello,

Your email is very interesting. You have been kind enough to describe a working approach
to sound isolating. That is very kind.

I feel i can reply to your idea with my efforts.

Firstly, YES, you are right that MOST ,if not all sounds, as condidates for isolation are often
repeated many times in a song.

Trance music uses lots and lots and lots or repetition. However, the sounds are slighly ORGANIC
in nature. Each occurence of a particular sound may be "extremely slightly"
different to the preceeding occurence.

I am like most people, always looking for the quik fix in life.

I wanted a faithful simple way to extract ANY sound of my interest. So far, the results are promising.

As you said, it can be a frustrating process. I feel that if i give you this SAMPLE and
that you are able to extract the sound faithfully. This extraction will really impress me.

You see, with all these sound tools and computing power i had really hoped that my
desires with sound were a realization by now. Melodyne DNA was a huge part of that realization.
(DNA tool works perfectly at the job it was designed for. It seperates NOTES out of
polyphonic CHORDS of the same harmonic content and timbre. (Direct Note Access)

The roudrunner video and sound extraction did not work for me because my sounds requiring isolation
are short pulses....the sound in question does not have many many continuos bars where it eminates itself. (duration of the sound). It only has many repeats of itself (short pulses at different points in the song.
(they are all almost identical pulses)

I feel that even from your few comments (developer), you really DO understand how to use
photsounder and this would be great if you shared this as tutorial videos.

My method here was to

1) Open the song part (photosounder)
2) find the sound(s) of interest)
3) Save it ALL as a picture.
4) Open 3) inside GIMP
5) Use the SELECT tool and by COLOR
^) Highlight the interesting sounds (which all had the same color)
7) and extract that 6) into a new image file
8) Opened 7) in photsounder.....

This really DID find the exact sounds of my interest. But it did not re-produce them faithfully. The sound
was monotone...without any reverb or original TIMBRE quality. But the pitches and durations and stuff
were absolutely correct.

that is all i can say...now

thanks

Vince.

Hello,

Your email is very interesting. You have been kind enough to describe a working approach
to sound isolating. That is very kind.

I feel i can reply to your idea with my efforts.

Firstly, YES, you are right that MOST ,if not all sounds, as condidates for isolation are often
repeated many times in a song.

Trance music uses lots and lots and lots or repetition. However, the sounds are slighly ORGANIC
in nature. Each occurence of a particular sound may be "extremely slightly"
different to the preceeding occurence.

I am like most people, always looking for the quik fix in life.

I wanted a faithful simple way to extract ANY sound of my interest. So far, the results are promising.

As you said, it can be a frustrating process. I feel that if i give you this SAMPLE and
that you are able to extract the sound faithfully. This extraction will really impress me.

You see, with all these sound tools and computing power i had really hoped that my
desires with sound were a realization by now. Melodyne DNA was a huge part of that realization.
(DNA tool works perfectly at the job it was designed for. It seperates NOTES out of
polyphonic CHORDS of the same harmonic content and timbre. (Direct Note Access)

The roudrunner video and sound extraction did not work for me because my sounds requiring isolation
are short pulses....the sound in question does not have many many continuos bars where it eminates itself. (duration of the sound). It only has many repeats of itself (short pulses at different points in the song.
(they are all almost identical pulses)

I feel that even from your few comments (developer), you really DO understand how to use
photsounder and this would be great if you shared this as tutorial videos.

My method here was to

1) Open the song part (photosounder)
2) find the sound(s) of interest)
3) Save it ALL as a picture.
4) Open 3) inside GIMP
5) Use the SELECT tool and by COLOR
^) Highlight the interesting sounds (which all had the same color)
7) and extract that 6) into a new image file
8) Opened 7) in photsounder.....

This really DID find the exact sounds of my interest. But it did not re-produce them faithfully. The sound
was monotone...without any reverb or original TIMBRE quality. But the pitches and durations and stuff
were absolutely correct.

that is all i can say...now

thanks

Vince.

Hello,

Still looking at Photosounder.

These were my general ideas with tools and music.

I feel that my desires are "just" around the corner with Total control and manipulation of
any recorded sound. The tools and methods probably already exist.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My ideas are detialed below...

1) The goal is to get raw forms of "individual high quality sounds" to use for creating new music.

2) Those sounds can be "chords" or "simple samples" of good sounds
OR a "single note from a synth patch".

3) "Minimal Techno breaks" music uses lots of SPACE......... Sounds and samples
are often very clear in the mix. This music is a good candidate for de-constructing.

4) "Melodyne DNA tool" can further SPLIT any of your chords (from 3) into
individual notes.

5) People can then use "CUBE re-synthesis tool" to intelligently
create "extra note pitches" of your original note(s) in 4.

In other words, you can re-create a whole octave of notes
for some good synth patch from 4...... by combining your intial gatherings from 4
and using method 5.

6) The DADDY synth for using with trance is NEXUS soft synth (900 pounds sterling)....already
have this tool and some of the other tools mentioned above. (see youtube videos)

7) I also use a brilliant sequencer called JACKBEAT. Superb tool.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel that "high quality sample DVD's" can substitute for a LOT of the points above.

My hope is to make extremely advanced TRANCE music of exceptionally high quality (using the
above and dedication)

I feel exceptionally high quality sample DVD's are also needed. EVen my efforst with photosounder
could see me getting those kind of samples...perhaps...

thanks people....and i hope that this is not too off topic for the forum.

Vince.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vince.

Return to “Photosounder”