The long DIVA thread

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva

Hello! Just updated Diva to 1.1 and noticed that diva settings/presets do not recall after project relaunch in Native Instruments Maschine. There were no such a problem with previous version. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

imac 2011, 10.7.4, Ni Maschine 1.7.2 (latest for the moment)

Are you using Maschine in 32-bit mode?

If you had used Diva as VST before in 32-bit Maschine and switched to 64-bit, then Maschine would try to use the AU.

Just one thought...

Is this an appropriate thread for diva feature requests? Or should I start a new one?

I realize all synths are unique and have their own "flavor," but generally speaking . . . If I own DIVA, do I need any of the following? Would any of the following offer a kind of analog-ish sound that Diva cannot get close to?

Korg Vintage Collection
Arturia Collection
G-Force Collection
N.I. Pro 53
FabFilter One+Twin
AAS Ultra Analog
XILS Stuff
FXpansion Stuff
Etc.

Basically, do I need any other analog type of soft synth? And if so, which one(s)?

tommyzai wrote:I realize all synths are unique and have their own "flavor," but generally speaking . . . If I own DIVA, do I need any of the following? Would any of the following offer a kind of analog-ish sound that Diva cannot get close to?

Korg Vintage Collection
Arturia Collection
G-Force Collection
N.I. Pro 53
FabFilter One+Twin
AAS Ultra Analog
XILS Stuff
FXpansion Stuff
Etc.

Basically, do I need any other analog type of soft synth? And if so, which one(s)?
I own most of the above listed plugins, and I can say that each of them has a purpose and value in my collection of tools (well, except maybe one of them). Some have unique features or a signature "vibe" that can inspire me.

One of my favorites, for example, is the Arturia CS80V. For me, I love the way that it's built, recalling an ancient synth I love, and it makes it very easy for me to get a certain type/vibe of sound I like for some tracks. But is it a core workhorse? No. Is it it better than Diva? No. Is it as powerful as Diva? No.

In some cases, it's a question of how well the interface relates to how I want to approach a particular sound... like in the case of FabFilter plugins, which have some of the best interfaces IMO. Or in other cases, there is a unique or powerful approach to one aspect of the plugin -- for example, I love the routing/modulation/combinations of features in FXpansion DCAM: Synth Squad, which lets me experiment in some ways more easily than other plugins, etc...

The only plugin that's basically useless for me among those listed is NI Pro 53. With Diva and some of the others, there's really no point in that one now. Diva significantly outshines it in every way I can think of, including similar family of sounds it can produce. And I think it's discontinued anyway.

So comparing them is really difficult. If you are simply asking where Diva fits in to the ranks of current VA plugins, then I can easily say it ranks right at the top. Is it missing a few features I want? Sure. The feature requests in this forum cover a lot of what I want, and I echo what others have asked for. Would I like a different interface? Sure. I'm actually more of a fan of the FabFilter interfaces. I think it's time we move beyond the old interface paradigm into something new. However, I will concede that DIVA's interface is totally appropriate for its concept ("Dinosaur Impersonating Virtual Analogue").

But having said that, where it really counts is that Diva's sound is simply stellar, and it could easily be the primary workhorse for many people. Is it worth the money? Hell yes, every penny.

If Diva were the heart of a dedicated VA hardware synth, people would be buying it in droves and it would easily sell for $1500+. It is the closest to true analog I've heard yet.

If I could only choose one plugin from what you're listing or if I were building my VA softsynth toolset from ground zero, then it would probably start with Diva today, since it gets me further and sounds better (and "more true to analog") in one single plugin for VA than any of the other plugins listed.

I'd suggest a slow and measured approach to building a plugin collection, where you can master one plugin at a time. Diva is basically top class and sounds as good as plugins can get right now. But then, over time, demo other plugins and add them as they inspire your music.
Last edited by kaverka on Fri May 18, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you so much for a well thought out response. It's difficult to cut down the wish list, but at least it's become easy to find the top of that analog emulation list. :-).

tommyzai wrote:Thank you so much for a well thought out response. It's difficult to cut down the wish list, but at least it's become easy to find the top of that analog emulation list. :-).
I know what you mean, it can be difficult to narrow down the wish list. But Diva really did make it easier, at least for now. For anyone who wants state-of-the-art VA synthesis in a plugin, in terms of quality of output, Diva is pretty much a must-buy right now. I imagine many developers are going back to their algorithms and the whole market just took a big step forward. The market had stagnated, IMO, and plugins were more about bells and whistles, or old niche emulations.... but Diva sets a very high qualitative standard on core VA sounds. Frankly, I can't wait to see what Urs has just inspired in his competition. :) And on top of that, I can't wait to see what Urs does for Diva 2.0. :)

something i was wondering ,why it's not possible to pan the stacked voices ?

Fred_Abstract wrote:something i was wondering ,why it's not possible to pan the stacked voices ?
Modulate Pan with the "Voice" modulation source. And read the manual (please) ;)
Last edited by Howard on Sun May 20, 2012 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

not a major complaint - but, when i play back my latest project, i almost always get a crackle when Diva first starts playing my patch then it goes back to reasonable usage (no crackles).. just thought i would mention it.. it does not effect my mixdown..

and thanks again for 1.1 :) i don't know of any other VSTi that has multi core right now.. if Diva wasn't indispensable before, now it is the kingpin of all DAW work..! :D

Howard wrote:
Fred_Abstract wrote:something i was wondering ,why it's not possible to pan the stacked voices ?
Modulate Pan with the "Voice" modulation source. And read the manual (please) ;)
ah sorry howard to make you loose some time hehe ! gonna go back to the manual :D

tommyzai wrote:I realize all synths are unique and have their own "flavor," but generally speaking . . . If I own DIVA, do I need any of the following? Would any of the following offer a kind of analog-ish sound that Diva cannot get close to?

Korg Vintage Collection
Arturia Collection
G-Force Collection
N.I. Pro 53
FabFilter One+Twin
AAS Ultra Analog
XILS Stuff
FXpansion Stuff
Etc.

Regarding great sound and fun to play live DIVA is my desert island analog-like soft synth right now, it's clearly on top of them in my opinion. It is quite versatile, provides awesome sound and fits perfectly into the arrangement.

I use 2 more great sounding analog-like soft synths in addition to DIVA regularly, and that's SonicProjects OP-X Pro-II (good for sounds from the U.S. synths of the late 70s and early 80s like Oberheims or SC Prophet-5; quite strong and dominant sounds) and G-Force ImpOSCar 2 (good for 'creamy', very rich and warm analog-like sounds, excellent filter).

Yours
Markus808

Hello Everybody,

we will now start to collect all remaining bugs in a separate thread in order to get them fixed with the next release! It would be great if you could add all the bugs that aren't fixed yet to the summary thread:

Diva 1.1 Bug Collection

Feature request and everything else belongs here, of course :).

Cheers,
- Clemens

Just saw that DiscoDSP updated the latest version of his Corona synth with delayless filters. I thought this was a super-secret weapon that could only be wielded by U-he. You started a trend Urs! Hurry get those into ACE and Zebra as well. No pressure. I know you got a lot on your plate. ;)

snigelx wrote:Just saw that DiscoDSP updated the latest version of his Corona synth with delayless filters. I thought this was a super-secret weapon that could only be wielded by U-he. You started a trend Urs! Hurry get those into ACE and Zebra as well. No pressure. I know you got a lot on your plate. ;)
Those new filters suggested by Mystran are pretty spiffy.

No worries, we've got a lot of things coming even though we just lowered our gears a bit.

Return to “u-he”