Hey all, we are pleased to announce our next product, Shift 2.
What is Shift 2?
Shift 2 is a major update for Shift, our granular diatonic pitch shifting delay plugin.
What's new in this update?
- Completely new user interface.
- Negligible latency: Shift now works with as little as sub millisecond delays, and so can be used as a real-time shifter or harmonizer.
- XY Pad control for real-time tweaking.
- Improved pitch shifting algorithm; grain engine parameters are now accessible for finer tuning.
- Vastly improved diatonic tracking; real-time pitch display helps fine tune tracking parameters.
- Five delay line voices (as opposed to three in the original Shift).
- Improved modulation options: four individual LFOs, with five modulation shapes (sin, saw, triangle, square, and random). Each voice has seven modulatable parameters: time, feedback, tuning, filter cutoff, filter resonance, pan position, and volume.
- Additional diatonic tracking scales.
- New preset browser, including tags, searching, hot-swapping, etc.
- Partial preset support for voices, grain settings, and diatonic tracker configurations.
(Click on the demo title to hear the mp3s)
Whammy Guitar: a rockin' guitar riff: first dry, and then with added parallel fifth and octave harmonies, and then finally with the harmonies only.
Diatonic Tracking: a twangy guitar line: first dry, and then with added diatonic third and diatonic fifth harmonies, and the finally with the harmonies only. Here, Shift is analyzing the guitar signal and adding the correct harmonies for the specified scale and key.
Glass Echoes: another short guitar line, first dry, and then with added staggered parallel fourth and fifth echoes.
Drum n Bass: a drum n bass loop, first dry, and then using the XY Pad live to tweak the tuning, filter cutoff, and filter resonance.
For Shift 1 users
Shift 2 is a separate product from Shift 1, and will install alongside it. Both versions can be used simultaneously. Shift 2 will import Shift 1 presets, but due to the improvements to the pitch shifting algorithm, it is not guaranteed to sound 100% identical and so should not be considered a drop-in replacement.
Shift 2 will be a free update to all existing Shift users.
Regarding questions about whether Shift 1 will be upgraded to the newer Loomer framework (which include 64-bit support, new preset browser, etc): it depends. If enough registered users want a Shift 1 update, we'll do it. Obviously we'd rather be working on updating Shift 2 and new products over maintaining legacy products, but it certainly isn't out of the question.
Shift 2 will be available in the following formats: Mac OS X (AudioUnit 32-bit & 64-bit, VST, RTAS, and Standalone), Windows (VST 32-bit & 64-bit, RTAS, and Standalone), and Linux (VST and Standalone). 64-bit VST support for Mac OS X & Linux will be added sometime post-release.
This update is scheduled for release in early December.
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions pertaining to the update here. Thanks!