Feature requests

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RapidComposer

The problem with soundfonts when importing MIDI files is solved. Dropping a MIDI file on the main window will open the MIDI Import panel. Dropping a soundfont onto the window will add the soundfont to the instruments. In the near future it will be possible to drag and drop a composition onto another host from RapidComposer without needing to export it as a MIDI file.

The update will be released early next week. If you cannot wait and need it right now, please drop me line.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

A feature I would like to see is the ability to import (or compose in the program by midi keyboard input or by drawing) a melody line, designate the absolute Key and scale and have RapidComposer generate a chord progression.

This is a feature in other similar products and would enhance this program.

Como
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

This would be really useful and it is on my to-do list for a while.
BTW cool signature. :)

Attila

Features asked through your website form :
- native MusicXML support to allow pro publishing in Sibelius, Finale, etc...
- regarding motivic development : the use of canon, fugue, etc... techniques
- the means to manipulate harmony on the master track, allowing the use of polytonality/interpreting chords as stacked triads (useful in film music), reharmonization based on jazz theory, based on chromatic mediant relationships (again, great for music for the media)
- really useful, and since your soft make a strong statement about the use of musical phrases : a tool to screen co-occurring lines and check their conforming to a set of user-defined counterpoint rules. That would be golden.
Lots of software have huge editing capabilities, but what most of them lack is a musical brain. Unfortunately the few pieces of soft implementing counterpoint rules are pretty expensive and/or not inspiring.

An additional FR :
- an articulation editor, in which the user could decide how it is translated into notation at the MusicXML export stage. (MIDI files imported into notation programs usually don't give satisfying results)

I emailed Attila directly about these, but here are my suggestions (and good ones, I feel!)

1. metronome for recording a phrase WITH count-in. Absolutely essential if you have a midi keyboard connected.

2. the correct names for notes according to the Circle of Fifths (Gb, Db, Ab, Eb, and Bb)... A# is too confusing for me, as the Circle is what I grew up with (training wise). :)

3. a "latch" function for "record chords from MIDI IN" - so you can just click the bar you want, play the chord on your midi keyboard, and it changes the chord... just click another measure... repeat. Right now, you have to keep right-clicking into the menu... pain in the butt!

4. An easier place to set the bar length for a phrase... NEAR the bar window (main sequencer window). Right now it's all the way to the left in the main options section.... furthermore, we need a complete redesign of the interface for version 2.0... COMPLETE redesign. It's ok now but too many folder tabs.

5. An easer-to-read chord progression palette, such as the "pop" palette... majors, minors, added 9ths, added 11ths, add2nds, added4ths, sus4, sus2, 7sus4, 7th, m7, Maj7, Maj9, and 5ths... and that's it. I oftentimes never have to go into the other chords when I'm writing.

6. An easier/quicker way to change the bass note on a chord.... right now it takes forever to do that. If I want an A chord with an F# bass note, I'd like it to be like one click if possible.

I'll think of more... :)

Excellent ones! Please keep them coming.
Today I implemented using flats instead of sharps.
The "latch" function already works. You need to click on a chord to open the chord list/palette. With "MIDI In" enabled you can change the chord from your keyboard, then simply click on another chord with the chord list/palette window open.
Number 4/5/6 will be addressed in v2.0.

Thank you!
Attila

I have finally managed to use RC LE in Reaper. In 32-bit it takes a click to get the GUI, in 64-bit it takes two clicks to get there. But with the latest version it has now worked for hours without crash.

I would mainly use RC for producing keyboard rhythm tracks, piano and organ, play guitars and bass myself. However, to do this I badly need to be able to get bars from the composer into the phrase editor. It would be great if I could pick bars, perhaps 1,2 or 4, from the composer and export them to the phrase editor. It could be something i have edited in the composer myself or midi tracks that I have imported into the composer. The latter would allow me to steal piano and organ rhythm patterns from downloaded midi songs. Then I could use these phrase patterns in my own songs.

Don't know if there already is a way to do this. But I have not been able to find it. I think it would be a good way to quickly expand your phrase library.

Hello Tom,

did you know that you can cut phrases into two halves ('Divide' in the popup menu) or merge the selected phrases into one phrase ('Glue' in the menu)?
This way you can quickly cut out interesting parts and edit in the phrase editor, where you can add it to your phrase database.
If I misunderstood your question, please explain.

Thanks,
Attila

EDIT: See my own reply in the next post. I got somewhat wiser about this.

Yes, you misunderstood my question. I will try once again, in a slightly different way.

Let's say you have downloaded a midi file with a rock piano. It could be a midi version of song by a famous rock group. Now you want to use parts of the piano from that song in the rhythm section your own compositions as phrases.

You can import the whole song into the composition track(s). Fine.

But how do you move those bars of the piano track you want to use into the phrase editor?

There should be a way you could cut out the bars you want in the composition (the tab you call "composition" in RC) and then export them to the phrase editor for possible editing and then saving to your phrase library.

I believe it would be simple for you to add some copy/paste function for that? RC already has a way to record a pattern from a midi keyboard into the phrase editor. Why not also the ability to read a short single track midi file into the phrase editor. And why not the ability to copy/paste from the composition tab in RC?

Ideally it could even be taken further, allowing you to copy or drag midi from the DAW you are working in. I have other composition tools that allows you to do this.

If you add the above features, it would be easy to quickly build a library of "borrowed" phrases from midi files downloaded from the Internet.
Last edited by tombuur on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

... Oh, I see.

Been playing around with this some more. You have to because the documentation is so poor. So you can't RTFM me here.

Anyway, I found out that double clicking a phrase in a composition will open it in the phrase editor. So the possibility is there, but in its own peculiar way.

May I suggest that you add copy/paste in the right click menu, and also as ctrl + c and ctrl + v as is usual in Windows programs. This should work in the composition view where currently you have to use ctrl + drag to make a copy of a phrase. And the same crtl+c or +v should work for pasting something into the phrase editor. Not only as a replacement, but also as an addition to notes already there.

Finally in addition to record make it possible to import midi into the phrase editor. Possible by choosing track number in multitrack midi file and what bars to import.

Right, copy/paste is badly needed. I promise v2.0 will have copy/paste.

Thank you for your feedback!
Attila

Traditional notation view in addition to piano roll view

Dewdman42 wrote:Traditional notation view in addition to piano roll view
Absolutely. I can't believe more users aren't asking for this.

[quote="cheul"]Features asked through your website form :
- native MusicXML support to allow pro publishing in Sibelius, Finale, etc...
- regarding motivic development : the use of canon, fugue, etc... techniques
- the means to manipulate harmony on the master track, allowing the use of polytonality/interpreting chords as stacked triads (useful in film music), reharmonization based on jazz theory, based on chromatic mediant relationships (again, great for music for the media)
- really useful, and since your soft make a strong statement about the use of musical phrases : a tool to screen co-occurring lines and check their conforming to a set of user-defined counterpoint rules. That would be golden.
Lots of software have huge editing capabilities, but what most of them lack is a musical brain. Unfortunately the few pieces of soft implementing counterpoint rules are pretty expensive and/or not inspiring.

An additional FR :
- an articulation editor, in which the user could decide how it is translated into notation at the MusicXML export stage. (MIDI files imported into notation programs usually don't give satisfying results)[/quote]

I suscribe all the sugestions above....

Working with the demo for a while i see the potential of RC.
lines: is a great tool to draw melodies. i will add a vector facility to lines that way you could draw lines up and down in one go,
Now to draw an ascendent/ descendent melody you have to draw 2 lines and glue them if you want to keep the melody ensembled togheter. But when you glue lines you they seem to become absolute and can not be transposed anymore to the scale. That should also change.
Resize: is great to be able to resize phrases in the horizontal axiz. But what about in the vertical axis as whel. Sometimes you have a phrase with notes that are way to high or the oposite and you whant all the intervals to flat down and come togheter...having that " vertical resize" would be very combiniant too.
Keyboard shotcuts: using customable KBS for the most used functions like record, change to absolute, etc....
Great app, lots of potential for serious or ot composers !
Tom

Thank you, these are great features. RC is definitely going in this direction. I was thinking about vertical resize already.

Thanks!
Attila

Return to “MusicDevelopments”