Gnossiennes #1 - Crime and Punishment mix

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

warning: EXPLICIT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taHFdy8W ... CBdP5drhF-

(Erik Satie wrote this tune around 1890)
Last edited by jancivil on Sun May 19, 2013 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

That's nice, I like this melody a lot, mainly I knew it from Family Fodder take, but this version has it's quirks too. I actually did put the whole 3-part thing on the headphones. Good to see you on Bandcamp.

do you mean the three under 'Extraordinary Renditions'? I think this one should go first; it's so in your face I wondered if it's best saved for later, but as #3 I don't think it flows the best.

I never noticed this tune before I began this project, my exposure to Satie was pretty sketchy. I knew a couple of the Gymnopedies, 1 and 3 which I adore... and I had heard his Rose Croix which I hated.

interesting. i'm still trying to come to grips with this one, as i'm a great lover of the quiet contemplative feel of the piano pieces and this is obviously taking a totally different direction. still, i am surprised to hear how the snaky melody line sounds so oddly appropriate on an electric guitar.

It should be just, kind of shocking if you are accustomed to the piece I would think. I have no reverence, it's something to do a solo over. I really like the tune, I heard that flat five in the line... it goes to iv... it's a blues, you know.

most of the interpretations of this I've found really don't work for me, just too precious. I noticed there is a wide consensus that it has to be REAL slow and a lot of rubato. (Ciccolini has a version I really like.)
Thibaudet has applied what one youtubers called Captain Kirk Rubato, that's intolerable. I'm a big fan of his Ravel, but he's got to be kidding with this one.

jancivil wrote:do you mean the three under 'Extraordinary Renditions'?
Yes, I listened on Bandcamp, to all in a row. It was sort of consistent in it's inconsistent nature and I don't think shuffling these would improve much. I ended grabbing "No location" which will be my companion as I'll be typing ctrl+c, ctrl+v tonight, which unfortunately is what I will have to do all the weekend. :cry:

yeah, I agree, there's no help for ER's continuity as it stands. it points to a 'vol. 1 - Erik Satie' thing.
(No Lo is an *album* in the classic sense and works as a single composition.)

/edit useless words about music/

thanks for your support, ZQ.
Last edited by jancivil on Sat May 07, 2011 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

it may not be obvious to everyone but the use of the sounds of the girl coming is not gratuitous, it's the most musical thing in the world, and the way the two voices, the guitar and she correspond makes this my favorite thing at the moment.

gneiss.

jancivil wrote:it may not be obvious to everyone but the use of the sounds of the girl coming is not gratuitous, it's the most musical thing in the world, and the way the two voices, the guitar and she correspond makes this my favorite thing at the moment.
Yeah..I liked how those interacted as well...

Satie is kind of new for me so I'm going to go through some sources for more of his work...

Liked how you worked the pieces out here...
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

thanks.

what she does at 1:30 is about the most awesome thing I ever heard.

Satie is turning out to be such a great framework to build something off of. I'm not sure I'd ever heard this tune before I decided to do covers of music 'from the repertoire' and found this, but I knew at once that this was a tune perfect for my approach on the guitar.

I knew a few things of Satie's that are relatively early and was surprised at stuff 20 years hence.

I'm sure that there are many that think this is just rude, the overdub now salt in the wound.
I think I'm going to make a 'Downfall' parody with Hitler going off, 'This is the best example of Degenerate Art I have ever encountered!!! Who goes for this kind of shit anyway? I'll tell you who, STALIN!!!' :lol:

edit/there is a great jazz cover of this, combined with Gnosssiennes #3, by Jacques Loussier on youtube.

this set in particular is relatively easy to play on the piano, so there are a million versions on there, beware.
Last edited by jancivil on Mon May 09, 2011 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Now THAT I'd like to hear! :lol: :lol:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

jancivil wrote:warning: EXPLICIT

(Erik Satie wrote this tune around 1890)
I like it too.Very interesting.
How did you do the guitar? Would you mind revealing the complete chain please?
Vielen Dank

I'll have to look! it's complex; there is a real amp + considerable reamping of the audio from that: two sims out of Amplitube 2 Jimi Hendrix on different sends, each with its own signal path.

Brunetti R-EVO XL II, Marshall 1960 TV monitors, 4x12. Neumann U-87s in a stereo config.

the first channel strip for the audio off that source:
ø EQ, Vienna Suite, -24dB rolloff at 71hz; a couple of tweaks in the mids, 12dB shelf at 10.2k
ø Compressor, Vienna Suite, threshold -14.4, 4.5:1, 'opto', the other #s wouldn't necessarily mean anything unless you have this plug. This strip is focused (stereo field kind of 'monoized'; and placed) to the right.

send 1 (levels variable/automated):
ø TRackS vintage compressor 670, '1db 670 magic' preset, but the output is at 4.8 rather than the given 5.4DB;
ø Vienna Suite power pan to focus the signal on the right before the next amp;
ø a patch which started off as a preset in AT Jimi Hendrix but tweaked considerable. I could upload these to the user library. there is one stomp, 'fuzz age', with kinda high levels... the cab is closed 4x12 with a ribbon mic sim.
this strip has a send to

the next strip (levels variable/automated, not a real high send to this one):
ø VS Exciter, 'frequency 1.5' and a lot of drive and odd# harmonics, about 45% wet;
ø ATJH, the stomp here is a nasty one out of AT Metal, 'overdrive'; closed 4x12 with a Neumann U67 sim.
now, to make matters worse, that is sent to -

a final strip:
ø that same 670 emu & preset;
ø a dupe of that last ATJH patch;
ø VS power pan, similar narrowed focus only to the left.
ø VS Master EQ with some cuts.

the first and third of these strips is sent to VS Convolution Reverb ('ORF Studio Wide/Warm'), a touch of predelay. So, there is a focused signal on either side of the stereo field hitting the 'same room'.

it's a pretty 'hard' sound, extremely compressed.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun May 19, 2013 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks Jan, appreciate that.I'll look into it later.

Return to “Music Cafe”