Halion Sonic: changing the startup patch?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

is there a way to change the startup patch of Halion Sonic? Everytime I add this plugin, the Sonic Dancer dances along... Maybe someone knows if there is a way to change this to a less p.i.t.a sound.

Best,
Kristian
Instrumental synthwave/synthpop with classical elements: https://www.feiyr.com/x/CaMResonance2022

I'm not sure if this is documented by Steinberg or not (I don't think it is). The default "Sonic Dancer" preset is stored under this path as a file called 'startup'
Folder path: Users\YourUsernameHere\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\HALion Sonic\Sub Presets

1. Select a preset you want to use as the default (use the init preset if you want a blank template)

2. Now save it using Cubase. DO NOT use Halion Sonic itself to save the preset. It creates a smaller Syncrosoft encrypted file which will not load. You must save from the top Cubase bar (the place directly to the right of the R and W buttons at the top of the VST window).

3. Go to the folder where Cubase saved your vstpreset. Rename the file as "startup" (remove the .vstpreset file extension when doing so).

4. Move it to the previously mentioned "Users\YourUsernameHere\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\HALion Sonic\Sub Presets" folder

You may want to back up the default "startup" file before you overwrite it. You can also delete the startup file and Halion Sonic will load with greyed out options. Seems to work ok.

BTW More evidence, if it were needed, of what a colossal mess Steinberg has made of the vstpreset system when even Steinbergs own software saves two different types of vstpreset (one smaller and encrypted with Syncrosoft, one not) which may cause problems, never mind the multiple dirs it may save to, nor the fact they aren't addressable with standard midi program change messages. As I've been using Halion Sonic more it's becoming clear there are real issues with CPU spikes in the software too, at least on multi-core hyperthreading CPU's. Hopefully they'll be fixed before Halion 4..
Last edited by PAK on Tue May 17, 2011 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks for your suggestion! Unfortunately I am not on Cubase but working with Reaper. So I think there is no way to save .vstpresets files. I have try if there is a similar way I can do it with Reaper.
Instrumental synthwave/synthpop with classical elements: https://www.feiyr.com/x/CaMResonance2022

You're right. There will probably be no way to do it. Tell me what patch you want and I'll generate a startup file for you :)

I really appreciate your offer! I would prefer an empty init patch if possible. Otherwise maybe some Acoustic Piano. Thanks in advance!

goodness gracious. all of that to change the default patch?

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:goodness gracious. all of that to change the default patch?
Haha. Well, there was one step which doesn't seem to be required (saving the sound as startup.vstpreset) so I removed that. More involved than it should be though. I have little good to say about the VSTpreset system in general. The fact that there's 2 types of vstpreset Halion Sonic can save, and apparently it won't read one of them as the startup sound itself (meaning the user must use Cubendo) kind of says it all.

Anyway, check your PM for the link crisis-at-music :) Hopefully those'll work. If not let me know.

Got it, installed it and it worked! Now starting up Halion Sonic is no longer a sonic pain... ;-) Thanks again for your help!

rsp
What an absolute nightmare it is using Halion 6 on a daily basis. :cry: :cry:

Is there a way to change the startup patch of Halion Sonic?
Yes, just right click the Multi title (below the "HALion SONIC" logo resp. the "HALion" logo) and select "Save as default". Couldn't be easier. Also documented in the manual.
Biome_Digital wrote:What an absolute nightmare it is using Halion 6 on a daily basis. :cry: :cry:
Only for stupid users that aren't able to read manuals and follow absurd instructions.
Last edited by Aerio on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Biome_Digital wrote:

rsp
What an absolute nightmare it is using Halion 6 on a daily basis. :cry: :cry:
It is over complicated for simple stuff - I have Halion constantly opening on a particular bank and not all patches and no idea how to stop it doing that, I saved the default patch on all banks many times but it just goes back to the one bank

Aerio wrote: Yes, just right click the Multi title (below the "HALion" logo) and select "Save as default". Couldn't be easier. Also documented in the manual....
Only for stupid users that aren't able to read manuals and follow absurd instructions.
Was it there already in 2011 with Halion Sonic 1? It's about 7 years later now and two version of HS later. Maybe now there is an option, ok. But calling me stupid... uhh, that's the right way, yes! :tu: :dog:

It has always been there.
By the way I didn't call a certain person stupid, only users who call HALion a nightmare, just because they aren't able to read manuals and follow absurd instructions (like the above one).

Aerio wrote:It has always been there.
By the way I didn't call a certain person stupid, only users who call HALion a nightmare, just because they aren't able to read manuals and follow absurd instructions (like the above one).
How sure are you and why are you so sure? AFAIR a working "use as default" wasn't added until later, but I'd need to install that old version to verify it seven years later.. and I'm not about to do that as I barely use HALion as it is these days.. But I'm not disputing it's possible it was missed somehow.. or it might've even been a dir permissions issue. However..

What's making me think there was more to it is Halion Sonic (original version) wouldn't accept presets saved out from within Halion Sonic as the default startup sound. In other words the actual start-up sound was in a different format from the format Halion Sonic saved out at that point, and this start-up sound did indeed require that it be saved from inside Cubase to be accepted as the default sound.

If you weren't aware of the above then I'd suggest maybe you'd want to double check it was always working. Whatever the case, why it was using a different format, to save and load the start-up sound, is anyones guess.

Hello, I AM

Return to “Instruments”