NIM (ElectroProg - Seismic Bewilderment)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This started life as an attempt to "do" PsyTrance. Go figure.

This track would not go where I wanted it to go. After a while I gave up fighting it and it became something like this (after 21 hours). I just revisited it this month to remix and it was as stubborn as ever. The remix took another 9 hours during which time I managed to chop 1:40 out of it, modified patches and notes, eq'd, panned and mastered.

EDIT: 20220909 - mp3 download link removed

at 320Kbps in the clouds

http://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/nim

Recorded in EnergyXT2.5.1. Remixed in EnergyXT2.5.4

EMU Proteus VX
Genesis CM1.02
Crystal 2.5.0
EnergyXT Drum Sampler
CM Dominator
SQ8Light v0.91 Beta
Independence Free 2.0
Alpha3 CM
T-RackS 3 Equalizer

DR - 7

EDIT:20240229 - now also on Youtube as a static video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmhA1-ea1uU

EDIT:20220930 - After accidentally bumping this thread, I decided to remix the track in September 2022. I replaced some of the instruments, added some new parts, and attempted to update the sound/style of the piece to make it a little less cheerful :) I also changed the reverb setup and the panning of some instruments, re-levelled everything and updated the EQ settings. I also added Satin on the master bus, and then mastered using T-Racks5.

Recorded in EnergyXT2.5.1/Remixed in EnergyXT2.7
Mastered in T-Racks 5

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/nim- ... ks5-master

SampleTank 2.5
Alpha3 CM
EnergyXT2 Drum Sampler
Genesis CM1.02
Crystal 2.5.0
SQ8L
Z3TA+2
DUNE
Independence Free 2.0
EnergyXT2 Reverb
Satin
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 12
Last edited by seismic1 on Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Really enjoyed the melody in this! Put me in mind of Fever Ray, which is to say :love:
Image Image

polyslax wrote:Really enjoyed the melody in this! Put me in mind of Fever Ray, which is to say :love:
I hadn't heard of Fever Ray before. Just checked out 3 of her tracks. I especially like "Keep the Streets Empty For Me". She has some simple but eerie melodies and an amazing voice. So much power in there. Very atmospheric stuff indeed. Great production as well.

I think your comparison was being more than a little generous!

Thanks very much for listening. Glad you enjoyed it.

Sounding very 80s dramatic to me. I imagined Freddy Kreuger (sp?) to pop out at any second 8)

i got a bit of a Fever Ray vibe too :)

this really gave me a sense of a journey. lovely :)

neil.

nice! :) in the beginning (and at the end) the piano sounds to keyboard-like for me, but later it fits the song very well!

astrochimp wrote:nice! :) in the beginning (and at the end) the piano sounds to keyboard-like for me, but later it fits the song very well!
Yes. that's the second comment I've had about the piano sound. That was the EMU Proteus VX Grand Piano. I was toying with replacing this with the Sampletank piano, which IMO sounds more artificial, but more interesting.

I'm currently in the early stages of a hard disk failure on my 6 year old XP system. I was going to replace this with a Mac Pro at the end of 2012, but if this system fails I will probably have to buy an interim Windows 7 X64 machine. This will mean that many of my old VSTs may no longer work correctly, so EMU Proteus may disappear from my "arsenal". :hihi: This track may resurface in some other form in the future sans Proteus.

Glad you liked the track.

tehlord wrote:Sounding very 80s dramatic to me. I imagined Freddy Kreuger (sp?) to pop out at any second 8)
Yes. Definitely 80s. I keep Freddy locked securely in a cupboard under the stairs. He only gets out on very special occasions under close personal supervision. And never in daylight :-o

thanks very much for listening

macmurphy wrote:i got a bit of a Fever Ray vibe too :)

this really gave me a sense of a journey. lovely :)

neil.

You're too kind. I hope you got a return ticket. Thanks very much for listening.

Final bump before bedtime

seismic1 wrote:This started life as an attempt to "do" PsyTrance. Go figure.

This track would not go where I wanted it to go. After a while I gave up fighting it and it became something like this (after 21 hours).
Sometimes a track will take YOU where IT wants to go - I find they're always the most interesting pieces. Nice one :)

mikusan wrote:
seismic1 wrote:This started life as an attempt to "do" PsyTrance. Go figure.

This track would not go where I wanted it to go. After a while I gave up fighting it and it became something like this (after 21 hours).
Sometimes a track will take YOU where IT wants to go - I find they're always the most interesting pieces. Nice one :)
Usually a track takes me where it wants to go. It is very rare that I seem to have any control over the situation!

Thanks very much for listening. After my next track (almost finished the remix), I have another pseudo mid '80s TD track due (approx 08 August)

seismic1 wrote:This track may resurface in some other form in the future sans Proteus.
i hope you will post that version here, too! :)

astrochimp wrote:
seismic1 wrote:This track may resurface in some other form in the future sans Proteus.
i hope you will post that version here, too! :)
I'd say there is a more than reasonable chance of that happening, but not for a while yet. Next track goes up tonight (I hope).

Cheers

Damn. I was trying to edit the original post and hit reply instead. Carry on as you were :oops:

Return to “Music Cafe”