Bug reports

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fyler RapidComposer

Hi Attila

Any ideas on what you think might lead to RC simply disappearing off to the desktop.? Twice now this has happened. No error message, warning or pop-up, so not a 'crash' as such - no logs generated that I can see (\Users\Documents\RapidComposerV4\..)

Updated to the latest v4.5.2 this morning, running RC standalone, got one Instrument plugin track (HALion Sonic SE - working perfectly fine previously) and one SoundFont track (*.sf2 Grand Piano). Adding a Generic generator, just started general trying things out a little and then...Boom! its gone...

Its the only thing running, besides Edge browser; system specs below.

Tiresome.

thebutler

[EDIT:- I'll happily accept this could just be down to my ageing system of course, but I'd appreciate if there are any signs you think I might look out for]
[EDIT2:- next day - been behaving a bit better this morning... I'll report back if that changes.]
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v13.0.30; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v6.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

the 2/4 grid goes away in the ui if you drop a phrase on it.

Hi thebutler,

this is strange indeed. I have not received any complaints from Windows (or macOS) users recently because of stability issues. I just uploaded v4.6, can you check if this update works better?

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

that was 4.6.. and actually, it goes away if you open the phrase dialog..

It is the only one that doesn't obey the settings. I have save after close off, load last edit off, and load environment off.

If you set the grid to 2/4, then exit and re-start, it goes to bar. Any other grid setting works.. if you set to 1/4 then exit and restart, it works.. all the other work that way too.

Why you calling it 2/4 and not 1/2? I know it's the same, but, it is the only odd ball in the menu.. no continuity..

Some essential shortcuts do not work, f.e. "Ctrl+N"
https://youtu.be/27mjHlV2Luk
Best regards and keep on creating music,
-rockbandguy

All short cuts may depend on what window in RC has focus. For new composition, that focus must be the work area. Just click in a blank spot in the work area, then press control-N. If a short cut in settings has the "Global" marked, then it works on any focused area. If you decide to play with those settings, it may or may not work as you expect. (but feel free to play with those)

Some short cuts do different things in different areas too. In work space area, it creates a new file, if the the track header has focus, it fills a track with what ever it is assigned too in settings.

more info is here: viewtopic.php?p=8518936#p8518936

Bass Generator selecting Bass, Vth, VIIth yields B, B+IV, B+VI...
Screenshot 2023-05-05 114525.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Windows 11 22H2
RC 4.6.3

When I leave RC running Windows screen does not turn off and nor does the device go to sleep.

My settings:
Screenshot 2023-05-06 123856.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

magmagwa wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:39 pm Windows 11 22H2
RC 4.6.3

When I leave RC running Windows screen does not turn off and nor does the device go to sleep.
What is the device? laptop? desktop?

If RC isn't running, and let's say, your watching a video, does it go to sleep?

It should only go to sleep if the device is idle. Just because you are not using RC does not make RC idle, it is running and therefore, isn't idle, so the conditions would never be met.

so, this isn't a bug..

Windows desktop.

I have not tested videos, but Ableton Live does address this issue with an option as shown in the attachment. So I imagine processes get a "sleep" notification and can allow/decline.

I do understand that all processes do things "now and then" even when not engaged by the user. The question is can they go to "sleep" so that the computer can go into a lower power mode.
Screenshot 2023-05-07 101120.png
BluGenes wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:39 pm
RC 4.6.3

What is the device? laptop? desktop?

If RC isn't running, and let's say, your watching a video, does it go to sleep?

It should only go to sleep if the device is idle. Just because you are not using RC does not make RC idle, it is running and therefore, isn't idle, so the conditions would never be met.

so, this isn't a bug..

Like Ableton says, not a good idea. It isn't a bug on RC's part, but, could be a feature request.

I'd be interested in knowing using RC as a VSTi in Ableton, does it sleep?

I don't use Ableton, so, I can't test that..

Just to be a little more clear on why it's bad idea..

I am just wording this in simplistic manner for those reading this that may not know any programming, especially audio programming. But, a lot of people are tech savvy and will understand what I am saying here..

Internally all audio applications use a process that runs in a loop and never really stops. In this loop, you have read and write access to the memory location of list of very large numbers. These large numbers represent the audio and midi being processed. This memory location is called a "buffer". This process is all done in a "thread", which is basically a way to separate one process from another. One process is updating the user screen and the other is for doing something to the audio/midi (you never mix the two together).

If all of that above is interrupted you will get what is called "undefined behavior", because it is running in loop meant to always run. While it is running, it is also "listening" for other things to do, like read audio or midi from a file, mouse click, keyboard, etc., which in turn are other threads. It would be possible to lose address information about the buffer, such as were in the buffer is the list being looked at, or written to. This behavior can crash, lock up, and plain stop working.

For this reason, it is not a good idea to allow this.

RC 4.6.3

Thanks for reporting this! The SDL library - that is used for rendering the UI - disabled the screensaver by default. I fixed this now. There is a new setting for enabling/disabling the screensaver (in the next beta version, or in v4.7 expected in 2-3 weeks).

Thanks,
Attila

magmagwa wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 3:46 pm Bass Generator selecting Bass, Vth, VIIth yields B, B+IV, B+VI...
Screenshot 2023-05-05 114525.png
I am sorry for the confusion. This is a feature, not a bug :)
Roman numerals are used for offsets in scale steps. So the root note+4 scale steps is usually the V, and the root note plus 6 scale steps is the VII degree.
"B+I" is 1 scale step above the bass note.

Arabic numbers denote semitone offsets in RapidComposer. Sometimes the Roman and Arabic numbers are mixed in an expression... Fortunately users don't have to deal with this usually.

Thanks,
Attila

Return to “MusicDevelopments”