Singing Mountains - unashamedly-retro-guitar-driven

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Another track from the concept album. This time I've dropped the tempo by about 100bpm, and all pretence of having a dance music sensibility :lol:

Drums are programmed since I don't own a kit, but the guitars (including bass) are real, and each track recorded in a single take - so it's warts-and-all because I thought that feel was more important than the odd fret-whistle (and, let's be honest, bum note :oops: )

The influence is pretty obvious (at least I hope it is...)

Anyway, here's the link:

http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/un61v1n1t ... ntains.mp3

As always, any and all comments will be appreciated :)

edit: where are my manners? it's 6min24sec, 256kb

Very good. Definite Floyd echoes here, with a dash of early PT thrown in for good measure. The guitars were great. I'll have another listen to this tomorrow at a decent volume.

Ace track
8)

Great guitar tones here, really nice "soaring" style lead with an accompanyment that complements the solo very nicely.

Thanks for listening guys, and for the kind words :)

@jopy, thanks for the compliment about the guitar tones, I did spend a lot of time with them so it's gratifying to know they've been noticed

@seismic1 - glad (relieved :D )you picked up the Floyd reference, it was totally intentional with this track, rather than a subconscious influence. In fact, I almost called this track 'Time to Breathe on You Crazy Diamond' but that might have been a bit flippant :hihi:
BTW, I'll probably kick myself for asking this but I've been wracking my brains...who's PT?

Thanks again for your time :)
Last edited by ThoughtExperiment on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fabulous! Just closed my eyes and drifted to this piece. Great work with the guitars. Certainly screams Floyd for me as well.
Image Image

Hey thanks polyslax :)

Great track. I really enjoyed it. The guitar work and tone are fantastic.

Thanks for listening, and for the kind words. I might have to do some more guitar-slingin' if this is the result :)

mikusan wrote:
BTW, I'll probably kick myself for asking this but I've been wracking my brains...who's PT?

Ok, you've had over 11 hours now.

PT = Porcupine Tree

First album (On The Sunday Of Life) has some pretty strong Syd Barrett elements/influences.

Up The Downstair or The Sky Moves Sideways are good albums to listen to if you like that mid '70s Floyd sound.

On their more recent albums, the band have successfully managed to define their own style.

pink who? i love this tune. the guitars are just stunning - fantastic tone and really beautiful playing. i want more. now :wink:

neil

seismic1 wrote:
mikusan wrote:

Ok, you've had over 11 hours now.

PT = Porcupine Tree

First album (On The Sunday Of Life) has some pretty strong Syd Barrett elements/influences.

Up The Downstair or The Sky Moves Sideways are good albums to listen to if you like that mid '70s Floyd sound.

On their more recent albums, the band have successfully managed to define their own style.
Yes, I'm kicking myself now :oops: I'm even more embarassed because I'm quite a fan of Porcupine Tree, although in my defense I didn't discover them until 'Fear Of A Blank Planet' and never got around to checking out their earlier stuff, even though I got every subsequent album AND Steven Wilson's solo :oops: :oops: .

Sounds like I should get around to it - thanks for the recommendations :)

macmurphy wrote:pink who? i love this tune. the guitars are just stunning - fantastic tone and really beautiful playing. i want more. now :wink:

neil
Wow thanks macmurphy for listening and commenting. I did have fun playing this one, and it was a piece of cake to mix without loads of synthesisers stealing every corner of the audible spectrum :)

I do have another guitar-based track planned for later on in the album and I feel much more confident about that following the positive (flattering, even :D ) comments I've received on this one.

Thanks again.

I really enjoyed that. The swirling pads and bending strings compliment each other perfectly.

On a preference level i'd like to hear a touch more delay and verb on that guitar to push it into the dreamworld a little more, but it works perfectly well as is.

tehlord wrote:I really enjoyed that. The swirling pads and bending strings compliment each other perfectly.

On a preference level i'd like to hear a touch more delay and verb on that guitar to push it into the dreamworld a little more, but it works perfectly well as is.
Hey tl, thanks for the listen and the kind words. I always worry that I'm being too heavy-handed with the delay/reverb because I love the sound of 'em so much - maybe I over-compensate :)

Very nice. I especially like the beginning, but good work throughout.
No longer a moderator.

Return to “Music Cafe”