Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
mystran
KVRAF

4927 posts since 11 Feb, 2006, from Helsinki, Finland

Postby mystran; Mon May 28, 2018 2:23 pm Re: How To Create VST Plugins? Information for those just getting started

hibrasil wrote:I just made this "awesome list" with my favourite DSP and audio programming resources (focussing on C++).

https://github.com/olilarkin/awesome-musicdsp

Some of your links (at least some links to your own github repositories) give 404.
Image <- plugins | forum
hibrasil
KVRian

764 posts since 23 Jun, 2002, from Huddersfield, UK

Postby hibrasil; Mon May 28, 2018 2:36 pm Re: How To Create VST Plugins? Information for those just getting started

thanks - i noticed also. will fix soon
My Website | WDL-OL | Web Audio Modules - WAMs | Oli Larkin Plugin's Facebook
Available for Audio Dev tuition via Skype (IPlug/JUCE/C++)
vxyu
KVRer

4 posts since 17 Jun, 2018

Postby vxyu; Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:41 pm Re: How To Create VST Plugins? Information for those just getting started

I'm new to Plugin-In development, so this thread is an amazing resource!

Currently, I'm reading Will Pirckle's Designing Audio Effect Plug-Ins in C++ book. It's been mentioned a couple times before on this thread. So far, it's very good and will give any beginner a solid foundation to work with before moving on to other frameworks.
Miles1981
KVRian

1343 posts since 26 Apr, 2004, from UK

Postby Miles1981; Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:12 pm Re: How To Create VST Plugins? Information for those just getting started

And lots of bad practices.
aciddose
KVRAF

11885 posts since 7 Dec, 2004

Postby aciddose; Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:07 pm Re: How To Create VST Plugins? Information for those just getting started

Miles1981 wrote:And lots of bad practices.

Some perhaps... it's important to understand why they're "bad" though and there aren't many better methods to learn than by using them and running into the problems they cause.

Refactoring is mostly a waste of time of course where you "could have" designed the system the right way from the beginning.

Then again, learning "best practices" without understanding them can lead you into even deeper holes with a stubborn refusal to admit to your problems when the supposed "best practices" end up being less than best.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
Miles1981
KVRian

1343 posts since 26 Apr, 2004, from UK

Postby Miles1981; Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:50 am Re: How To Create VST Plugins? Information for those just getting started

You mean like overdesign with useless design patterns all over the place?
Definitely agree ;)

That's the issue as well, if you want to write good C++ code, you need to know about your hardware. Sometimes, when I tell people that, they think I'm talking about memory allocation instead of the actual CPU architecture. DSP development is quite transverse and require skills that not a lot of people want to acquire :/
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development