What Lo Fi effect comes closest to an sp 1200?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there any lo fi fx that does the sp 1200 really really well? If so what is it? Are there any A/B comparisons out there?

check demo http://d16.pl/decimort
there is even preset 'SP1200' ,but how close it is to original :?:

yeah I actually have that. Any others? Really interested to know what the closest thing to an sp is

There was one by one the developers themselves in VST form (windows only, SynthEdit). You might check my hardware emulation list (on my studio page, projects) for that.

In terms of "simulating" that sound, eitehr ToneBoosters' TimeMachine... or... I think vieris (rhyhthm in mind) released a Nebula preset of the SP1200 - or at least an MPC.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Native Instrument's Kontakt 5, Battery, Maschine have an SP1200 (and MPC60) emulation. I have Battery, on certain drums, they do add a nice touch. I have no idea how close it comes to the real thing, but many people say they're good. I also have Decimort. Native Instruments' emulations are much more subtle than Decimort's preset.
Last edited by chj on Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Compyfox wrote:There was one by one the developers themselves in VST form (windows only, SynthEdit). You might check my hardware emulation list (on my studio page, projects) for that.
I took a look and didn't see that in your emulation list. I checked because its hard to believe that e-mu would release a synthedit plugin/emulation of any kind.

Can you give any more info? Google searches turn up nothing.
miedex

Perhaps Compyfox meant this?

Sonitex 1260

It's an excellent plugin, made in Synth Edit. Worth every penny.

It's lo-fi/bitcrusher section combined with the compressor and noise module can probably emulate all kinds of vintage flavors. Of course it'd be impossible to get it 100% authentic but you should be able to get pretty close.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Sonitex 1260

It's an excellent plugin, made in Synth Edit. Worth every penny.
+1 for sonitex. it covers you for all your lo-fi needs and then some.

I have Decimort, but I prefer the Native Instruments version in Maschine, all my drums and some other stuff get 'SP'd. It's not subtle at all esp. on the right sounds, magic on snares and stuff. It sounds close enough to an SP for me not to care if there's a small difference, it's giving me that sound very nicely. The sound of an SP on a snare is inseparable to me from 'my perfect snare' notion, it's the sound of the golden age to me. The filters are cool on the NI one too. Reacts nicely to pitching stuff around as well. By nicely, I mean makes it sound real dirty.

I didn't mean Sonitex, even though this plugin is a nice concept - however still stuck on old SE days.

I actually meant the SP2100 VSTi plugin (Windows, SE as well). Included was an FX module which was released seperately.

On my page I wrote:
Acquit Records joined forces with one of the E-MU SP1200 orginal creators (J. Starner) and created the SD2100. According to users, the original samples are included - however if not, they can be found freely on the internet. The FX module from the SD2100 was later extracted and released as seperate VST effect.
I think this plugin is still available through GERSIC/Plugindex. Else try the "gems reupped for the masses" thread in the instruments subboard here on KVR.

I have to admit, this was filed under "Synthesizers" and not the FX module seperately (since that section was added at a later point). I'm working on a dedicated page and, more importantly, updated list. But I can't give any definite release info.

Then again, I can't give you any further details if this plugin "really" recreates the sound of the SP1200. I think you're after the bitreduction (12bit sampler), and here your best bet is a bitreduction tool, best if it's one that also has control over aliasing and/or frequency response. And here, the old "Time Machine" version from ToneBoosters (Jeroen Breebaart) comes to mind, since it had more features.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

FX2100 is pretty much gone from the internet so.. SD2100 and FX2100
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

DF2R wrote:I have Decimort, but I prefer the Native Instruments version in Maschine, all my drums and some other stuff get 'SP'd. It's not subtle at all esp. on the right sounds, magic on snares and stuff.
Edited my previous post. When I said subtle, I was mainly comparing to the Decimort preset, which lays on a heavier, more obvious lofi effect. I also didn't mean subtle in a bad way. I also prefer the NI emulation over Decimort to 'SP' drums.

ddeez you havent blown up in chicago yet? LOL

Sorry to bump this old thread but as someone brought attention to the SD1200 recently, *this much older topic* should help clarify some things about it.

I use decimort for stuff like that.

Im not really aware of a one stop solution specifically for what you seek, but you might want to check out what XFER records has in their freeware folder.

Some great bitcrushing options to be had for 0$
:borg:

Return to “Effects”