One-Synth-Challenge 36: Kairatune - Submissions and gossip

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Kairatune

gorgorgathgorgorgor wrote:Krummavísur

Some Lyrics translated from the Icelandic...

Everything is frozen outside You can't get anything at the

beach I'm so hungry I'm so hungry If I go to a house The dog

forbids me To eat from the garbage Eat from the garbage The

raven slept in a rock-rift The raven slept in a rock-rift The

earth is covered in ice You can't see the ground at all

Full-fledged birds are capable of Full-fledged birds are

capable of But even though I look everywhere There's just one

color What can a raven eat What can a raven eat?
Sounds like life in old Iceland was not entirely peachy, maybe that's why they came up with 'dishes' such as these: http://youtu.be/vTOfhQ_SZEg?t=2m03s :-o

Hi!

First of all, I'm new here, so hi everybody!

I'm gonna try to contest tho I find this synth quite complicated, cause opening the instances I need makes my CPU totally busy and it's hard to work that way. I'm trying to render to wav as much as I can.

By now i'm only using 1 plugin appart of the contest's synth, and it's a free limiter (Antress Modern plugins). So it's ok to use some free reverb too?

My music skills are crappy, so don't expect much :D

Cyas!
InterSlot Call
Amateur Electronic Music
http://interslotcall.webcindario.com/

Hi and welcome here :)

Yes reverb and all effects ar OK except modulation effects like chorus, phaser, flanger etc. But as the rules say, all effects must be free and easily available to all, and no effects from your DAW can be used, not even EQ.

V'ger wrote:Hi and welcome here :)

Yes reverb and all effects ar OK except modulation effects like chorus, phaser, flanger etc. But as the rules say, all effects must be free and easily available to all, and no effects from your DAW can be used, not even EQ.
Thank you!
That gives me a bit more of space to play with. I'll do my best (that won't be much anyway :P )

I like Modern plugins, they work ok and are free and easy to find. That will do. Now i only need some inspiration :)
InterSlot Call
Amateur Electronic Music
http://interslotcall.webcindario.com/

I'm afraid we can not compete this month, because we keep having problems with Kairatune. As soon as we start using it, Cubase becomes unstable and crashes. We tried several times, but no luck this far!

Windows 7 Professional x64 (latest updates installed)
Cubase 5.5.3 x64
Steinberg MR816 CSX

We have zero issues normally, so we believe it has to be because of Kairatune.

Good luck everyone with the contest!

solidtrax wrote:I'm afraid we can not compete this month, because we keep having problems with Kairatune. As soon as we start using it, Cubase becomes unstable and crashes. We tried several times, but no luck this far!

Cubase 5.5.3 x64
Steinberg MR816 CSX

I've noticed that after playing notes that take my cpu over 100% with Kairatune, the rest of the time Ableton is in a perpetual state of latency and spikes the cpu over 100% (occasioanlly it'll show 200%+). However my issue may be different. I think my value priced ram is what's causing me issues.

Despite this I'm actually at the stage of putting the finishing touches on my entry. Amazingly I've worked extremely fast with Kairatune.

solidtrax wrote:I'm afraid we can not compete this month, because we keep having problems with Kairatune. As soon as we start using it, Cubase becomes unstable and crashes. We tried several times, but no luck this far!

Cubase 5.5.3 x64
Steinberg MR816 CSX

That's too bad. I tested version 1.0 on x64 W7 and IIRC Cubase 6 (VstBridge). It worked ok. I haven't had a chance to test v1.1 on any 64-bit platform. Have you tried workarounds like using v1.0 or JBridge?

I have to say I was having problems with CPU munching too, and very strange problems at that. I started "freezing" tracks in reaper to save CPU, but that just started making my Master start to eat CPU (according to Reaper's performance meter) which was running my standard pile of VOS plugs plus Loudmax (as I have used in nearly every other contest without problems). This is one reason I got my entry up as quickly as I did, as I tweaked things the CPU load just got worse and worse, till finally I said "OK, good enough, render it before it explodes!" A fun synth fo sho, but a bit scary!

In retrospect I realized it's Kaira plus the ridiculous amount of epicverb and rough rider I was pumping. However, with it all turned off it's just not as good sounding overall.

Man I suck at post production.

Shame with the CPU issues which after Diva is a bit unexpected.. :hihi:

I have no trouble with 1.1 on Reaper and XP 32.

But if Epicverb sucks too much juice, have you tried the much underrated Freeverb3 algos? It's 64 bit and for example STrev with no oversampling sound pretty good, well on par or even above top free verbs like Epicverb and Ambience imo. ProG is the best but uses slightly more.

Gave Kairatune a little try but it constantly keeps crashing Cubase at different operations.
Specs: Win7/64, Cubase 6.05/64, EMU1212m
Sometimes when playing and editing in the synths gui the synth starts maxing out cpu. Also i think that it interferes with Cubase copy protection (USB dongle calls) as Cubase shuts down and completely disappeares at simple copy and paste operations. Not even a Steinberg debug file is created then.
Ok, must admit that Cubase always was a bit choosy with some plugins. In former days i always looked for workarounds, but these days my amount of spare time shrinks more and more. The little time i have i want to spend on making music and not administrating my computer. So my only solution for myself is: what's unstable will be deleted. Sorry.

So let's see what's up for next month's OSC.

Cheers,
Gerald
EAT - SLEEP - SYNTH
http://soundcloud.com/pocvecem

I think this calls for a little damage control.
pocvecem wrote:Gave Kairatune a little try but it constantly keeps crashing Cubase at different operations.
Specs: Win7/64, Cubase 6.05/64, EMU1212m
Sometimes when playing and editing in the synths gui the synth starts maxing out cpu. Also i think that it interferes with Cubase copy protection (USB dongle calls) as Cubase shuts down and completely disappeares at simple copy and paste operations. Not even a Steinberg debug file is created then.
Kairatune is a 32-bit plugin. It shouldn't function at all in 64-bit platforms. You (or Cubase) are using somekind of bridge software to run 32-bit plugin on your 64-bit computer. Whatever problems you see on 64-bit platform, that aren't present on 32-bit platform, aren't neccessarily caused by bugs in Kairatune. They are caused by incompatibilities in the bridge software. Anyway, i believe these issues are solvable and hope to see the the day they are fixed. Meanwhile i recommend not to use Kairatune 1.1 on any 64-bit platform. To my knowledge Kairatune version 1.0 should work just fine on your setup.

Oops! Didn't want to cause any damage at all! That wasn't my intention.
Sorry. Forgot to mention that i use Cubase's own (little buggy) bit-bridge. Therefore i don't blame Kairatune for this behaviour. Completely gone 64bit with my system since i want to use more ram with NI Kontakt. There are more than enough commercial 32bit plugins that don't work stable with Cubase bit-bridge either. I don't have jbridge installed at the moment because i want to keep my system as tidy and simple as possible.
Also haven't installed Ableton Live (32bit host) at the moment. Will do that if i find some time and report to you.

Once again this wasn't ment to insult you in any way. Just wanted to report my problems.

Greets to Helsinki from Bavaria,
Gerald
EAT - SLEEP - SYNTH
http://soundcloud.com/pocvecem

Had problems also that I blamed on Kairatune until I did some tooling around with my Focusrite VRM box as opposed to my mBox interface. Turns out those M-Audio ASIO drivers are pretty foobar on Win 7 (judging from the online clatter). Going to replace that box (48V power not working either), maybe in time for next OSC (assuming it's Windows - Mac no problem). I can work with cans for some tracking but can't complete a mix on it (though it might turn out better).

Too bad, 'cause I'm thinking this contest will be different - can't wait to see what percussion/bass sounds people come up with. Hopefully next synth will be equally unusual. :)

pocvecem wrote:Oops! Didn't want to cause any damage at all! That wasn't my intention.
Sorry. Forgot to mention that i use Cubase's own (little buggy) bit-bridge. Therefore i don't blame Kairatune for this behaviour. Completely gone 64bit with my system since i want to use more ram with NI Kontakt. There are more than enough commercial 32bit plugins that don't work stable with Cubase bit-bridge either. I don't have jbridge installed at the moment because i want to keep my system as tidy and simple as possible.
Also haven't installed Ableton Live (32bit host) at the moment. Will do that if i find some time and report to you.

Once again this wasn't ment to insult you in any way. Just wanted to report my problems.

Greets to Helsinki from Bavaria,
Gerald
Thanks for reporting! I didn't see any insult or intentional harm or anything like that. It's just that people who don't have a clue about the 32bit vs. 64bit issue may get pretty upset when they read about copy protection interference or stuff like that. :-o

I totally understand your policy. I try to keep the time spent on administrating my machines as little as possible too and spend my time on something more productive or more fun. I believe you've discovered the secret for working on Windows without the biannual reinstall. :)

Still i would like to urge you to give version 1.0 a shot. We did the demotrack on 64bit W7 Cubase 6 without any problems. I amongst many others really like your Panta rhei track on the previous OSC. Kairatune tempts to produce aggressive sounds whereas your sound appears more subtle. It would be very interesting to hear your style of Kairatune music.

Return to “Instruments”