Xhun Audio IronAxe ver 1.8 and its road to Win64/macOS

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
IronAxe

xhunaudio wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:41 pm Thank you for your offer tonedef71 :) but at now there's no need for betatesters.
I see. It's still in "concept" stage...or it's not coming at all. Like Mokafix with his "guitar" and IK with there "guitars" (um yo it's been nearly 6 years time to give up, maybe), and probably this one too, just another project that disappears into the ether.

Just another year. A year passes. Just another year...and here we go again.

Maybe a good idea to forget guitar parts, at least for now an maybe forever. Oh well stiff shit.
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

How can it be that an unsupported old 32 bit vsti is the most expensive in your shop?

Although a real guitar is a 12 tone equal tempered instrument it would be nice if IronAxe was microtunable. The best way, as far as I know (easy for the developer and versatile for the user) is to support ODD Sound's MTS-ESP. How about some 17 note per octave non equal tempered shredding?
Yorgos Simeonidis

filulilu wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:38 pm Although a real guitar is a 12 tone equal tempered instrument it would be nice if IronAxe was microtunable. The best way, as far as I know (easy for the developer and versatile for the user) is to support ODD Sound's MTS-ESP. How about some 17 note per octave non equal tempered shredding?
If I were you I'd forget it. Most of these "guitar" projects are just drifting into the ether.

You might well have to settle for a sampled solution. We might get a surprise this year, or next, but I'm tired of playing the waiting game. If only we knew the answer was a definitive no, that would be much better than this waiting and wishing bullshit.

benjamind wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:52 pm
filulilu wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:38 pm Although a real guitar is a 12 tone equal tempered instrument it would be nice if IronAxe was microtunable. The best way, as far as I know (easy for the developer and versatile for the user) is to support ODD Sound's MTS-ESP. How about some 17 note per octave non equal tempered shredding?
If I were you I'd forget it. Most of these "guitar" projects are just drifting into the ether.

You might well have to settle for a sampled solution. We might get a surprise this year, or next, but I'm tired of playing the waiting game. If only we knew the answer was a definitive no, that would be much better than this waiting and wishing bullshit.
I do use sample libraries now (and I have managed to microtune them) but that doesn't mean that I'm not excited with the prospect of an electric guitar physical model.
Yorgos Simeonidis

filulilu wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:01 pm I do use sample libraries now (and I have managed to microtune them) but that doesn't mean that I'm not excited with the prospect of an electric guitar physical model.
For sure, I'm excited too, but I've just stopped getting my hopes up because it's just so exhausting when IK release another product, and it's not MODO GUITAR :cry: :hihi: :x :lol: :evil:

Same about IronAxe. It's been now 10 years since the first IronAxe was released. I believe it's just vaporware as far as I'm concerned. I feel the same about MODO GUITAR too, I think that too also went into the ether.

I can't see a virtual guitar coming out in the next 3 or 4 years. Now if IK or Xhun can prove me wrong, I'll eat my hat and pull it out of my ass sideways. But I don't have any hope, and I understand why I have no hope, having a lot of insight into how I feel is a better gauge on what is going on, I trust my gut more then anything else here. And my gut tells me it ain't gonna happen, so I'll just suck it up and pack my toys and go home because I'm just wasting my time.

benjamind wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:33 am I can't see a virtual guitar coming out in the next 3 or 4 years.
I understand your frustration.

Were you able to get create anything interesting from the likes of AAS Strum GS-2 or Wedge Force Matcha?
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

tonedef71 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:10 am
benjamind wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:33 am I can't see a virtual guitar coming out in the next 3 or 4 years.
I understand your frustration.

Were you able to get create anything interesting from the likes of AAS Strum GS-2 or Wedge Force Matcha?
Not sure about WedgeForce, but AAS wouldn't even cut it. I've tried it several times and never was able to get anything useful out of that would be convincing enough. WedgeForce might sound better, but from the reviews it doesn't seem like its worth it, and theres no demo either. Maybe if I pick it up on sale when its $20 might be OK, but I really want something like MODO Guitar, which I know will be good judging by how good MODO Bass is. If it comes, that is, I don't think it will to be honest, but I'm still holding out hope (even though I know I really should just give up now).

If IK ain't gonna release it (for whatever reason, I suspect there is something that has nothing to do with practical considerations, probably something legalistic (patent, research, some other "artificial" brick wall) since it makes no sense why it would be nearly 6 years - it just makes no sense and raises suspicions that something has happened) then they should just say NO, and I'd move on and stop thinking about it.

Better for me mentally to assume it's never coming.

benjamind wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:33 am but I really want something like MODO Guitar,
I thought MODO Guitar was conceptware; has any development work been done on it at all?

There are not very many physically-modeled electric guitar virtual instruments these days, although there are several sample-based electric guitar virtual instruments (almost surprisingly, there is no EZGuitar offering from Toontrack as of yet... go figure! :lol:).

The developer reFX used to sell a synthesized VST electric guitar called Slayer 2. Fl Studio still includes a special version of reFX's Slayer 1. I'm thinking that Slayer is similar in some ways to IronAxe.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Hello everyone,

the current IronAxe version 2.x development status is :

- the DSP side has been rewritten (it is not 100% complete) and it is now much more accurate than ver 1.x.

- the GUI will be probably different from the current one.

- the central point and th e main reason of the delay is the development CONTAINER where to put everything in.

IronAxe is a VERY complex project. It is mandatory at this point to use a VERY high end development environment - in a way the next IronAxe version I'll release will be compatible with computers released in the years 2050's too.

I belive the Pro Audio industry is about to enter such big revolution, where virtual instruments and effects will not be "precompiled" and then distributed, but available in a JIT format (to simplify in just 2 words).

This would assure "write it once, run it forever on any system". But it requires the software to be completely rewritten from the ground up with this concept in mind (you can't simply copy-paste your JUCE C++ code).

My intention is to wait for that IDE concept to be available for a full IronAxe ver 2.x development - instead of starting something HUGE (IronAxe ver 2.x development) in C++ today and having to rewrite it again from the ground up in a few years.
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

tonedef71 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:22 pm
benjamind wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:33 am but I really want something like MODO Guitar,
I thought MODO Guitar was conceptware; has any development work been done on it at all?
If there has been any development done on it, none of us would be any wiser, because IK aren't revealing anything.

They know the answer and only they know it. We don't know anything and will probably never know whether there developers are working on the instrument(s) or not.

But if there not going to develop it, then they should just provide a solid NO as an answer, and be honest with us, because we have been waiting years for it, and because there has been a drum and a bass instruments being done before, it is easy to assume that there would be a guitar set as well.

If there not going to release it they should just say so. They might as well just do the nice thing immediately and stop us from thinking of it any further. That would be the kind thing to do. If they know there not releasing then withholding that is, to me, rather cruel. That is how I put it. If they know there is never going to be such product it would be kind of them to inform us so we dont need to find out many years later and much to our terrible disappointment that there was never one to begin with and we were never told.

I understand there not obligated to tell us, but it would be a kind gesture and would save us all a whole hell of a lot of heartache when the day of reckoning comes and we all realise that it's gone to the ether. That would be a sad day after all this waiting, and knowing it was never there to begin with or they abandoned it like in 2018 or something. They could of just told us that it was never going to come. That would of made our lives much easier since we could stop wondering all this time.

If there not developing this instruments then it is totally unfair to leave us wondering. I believe there is developments on the guitar set because I think they would of not said "they can't reveal any information at this time" so I presume it is in developmental stage and yet to be released but will be released eventually in time.

Well, let's just say that I sure hope it is released in good time. I would be so bitterly disappointed if they would not of let us know and left us in the dark all these times and never had intention of releasing the guitar set.

OK I tried the demo with jbridge now.
While it is really good there is no way that I spend that amount of money for a 32 bit plugin.
And PLEASE tell me that the new version wil have a "vibrato" on the mod wheel like the acoustic samples guitars...
I don't understand why this was omitted from the actual version as it is absolutely needed for authentic playing...

So looks like IroneAxe will be another 5 years out?

@rasmusklump :
for a natural "vibrato", the best way to perform that is not using the mod wheel, but using the pitch bending wheel. After all, that's the reason the pitch bender is there. With the pitch bending you are basically replicating what happens in the real world when you move your left (frets) hand or whammy bar.

IronAxe must not be considered "incomplete" just because it's 32-bit only. It's a complete, solid and self-contained Electric Guitar physical modeling software.

@benjamind :
Eheh, IronAxe is not "abandonware" at all. Unfortunately we're coming from a time (decades) where softwares' "platform-independency" has not been considered as a mandatory aspect (but it is). So the 32-bit to 64-bit porting could require a software to be rewritten from the ground up to be completed.

...And I deliberately didn't mention about adding ARM, macOS, LV2, CLAP, barebone, etc... compatiblity, which makes everything more and more complex : if a new platform is introduced each month, isn't it the proper time to change our idea about the future of "plugins" as precompiled software ?

Definitely, 32-to-64-bit bridges are one of the best things that could happen in the pro audio world, and they come also included (for free) in many DAWs. I can't see why (sometimes) someone consider bridges as "intruders" in their workflow.
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

xhunaudio wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:12 am I belive the Pro Audio industry is about to enter such big revolution, where virtual instruments and effects will not be "precompiled" and then distributed, but available in a JIT format (to simplify in just 2 words).
For that:

-Many DAWs would have to add support for that virtual machine.
-Many players would have to agree on the standard.
-Players would be forced to rewrite their current products.
-It should have clear advantages for the end users to gain adoption.

As of today I haven't seen clear signs of that happening, but who knows...

Return to “Instruments”