Extremely cheap or free plug-ins that make you wonder if you should spend money.

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
Aiynzahev
KVRAF
3566 posts since 29 Jun, 2011 from USA

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:55 pm

Hi Guys

Lets put our expertise together.

Bootsie's
Baxter
BootEQ
Density MkIII

ToneBoosters
Barricade,
TB Equalizer
& Reelbus (amazing)

ReaPlugs
ReaXcomp (Excellent stuff)

Karma FX reverb & Delay
SPL Free ranger

Tokyo Dawn Compressor

Voxengo Marvel EQ & Overtone (free LP mid-side EQ!)

These plug-ins sound amazing to me and are free or very cheap. They make me wonder if buying plug-ins that cost $$$ are really necessary.

I have Sonlaksis EQ which I would not give up (its NFR anyway but still) and Arts Acoustic Comps which are expensive, I am not about to sell those either.

Still it makes you wonder if you really need to spend that much. I'd love to have SPL full rangers and Softube Trident however.

I feel where the free ones are still lacking a little here and there, usually in the saturation and added harmonics. What do you guys all think?
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

scalawag
KVRian
589 posts since 3 May, 2004

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:06 pm

I'd say ALL Bootsie plugins and not just a few of them.
Add to that list Molot and the new Limiter nº6 from Vladg.
On cheap and really VERY GOOD you can add the Sonimus and SKnote range of plugins.

manducator
KVRAF
1827 posts since 10 Feb, 2007

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:11 pm

A good free vsti, Charlatan, 64bit and all:

http://www.blaukraut.info/

Trakstar
Banned
1076 posts since 15 Jun, 2012

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:12 pm

Aiynzahev wrote:Hi Guys

Lets put our expertise together.

Bootsie's
Baxter
BootEQ
Density MkIII

ToneBoosters
Barricade,
TB Equalizer
& Reelbus (amazing)

ReaPlugs
ReaXcomp (Excellent stuff)

Karma FX reverb & Delay
SPL Free ranger

Tokyo Dawn Compressor

Voxengo Marvel EQ & Overtone (free LP mid-side EQ!)

These plug-ins sound amazing to me and are free or very cheap. They make me wonder if buying plug-ins that cost $$$ are really necessary.

I have Sonlaksis EQ which I would not give up (its NFR anyway but still) and Arts Acoustic Comps which are expensive, I am not about to sell those either.

Still it makes you wonder if you really need to spend that much. I'd love to have SPL full rangers and Softube Trident however.

I feel where the free ones are still lacking a little here and there, usually in the saturation and added harmonics. What do you guys all think?
The idea of some free plugins such as the voxengo ones are to give you a taste of what the full payed for versions can do. But, if you can get by with the free FX then good for you, and yes just because they are free does not make them any less as good as the payware versions. In fact some free DSP FX put payware versions to shame. Comes down to what you really want, if you want the best what the studios use then in the end you are going to have to spend some dollar.

DavyAch
KVRist
169 posts since 28 Feb, 2010

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:28 pm

List so far are all great. As well as those, I would use the following:

Delays

arcDev ET-301
Bootsie's Nasty DLA
WatKat
Valhalla Freqecho

Compressor

JSCompShaper

Reverb

Ariesverb 0.4 (Beta)
Mverb

Distortion;

CamelCrusher

Weird:

Rovee (Vocoder/Voice changer)
STW Audio Reflex Free
KTGranulator
SmartElectronix Fire
E-Phonic Lo-fi

Also, a few of the Computer Music ones - DiversionFX CM is brilliant!

Paid for, I'll investigate SplineEQ for $19 - very good reviews.

Nighthawk77
KVRist
279 posts since 8 Sep, 2010 from Earth (most of the time)

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:36 pm

Both the Flux Stereo Tool and BitterSweet 2 are as good as many pay plugins.

mabian
KVRAF
1598 posts since 10 Jan, 2005

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:00 pm

- All Melda Production Free Plugins - ton of awesome modulation features (LFOs, envelope followers, step sequencers) hidden in most of them.

- MDA plugins

- GVST suite

- Simulanalog Guitar Suite

- All Voxengo freebies

- E-Phonic (Retrodelay especially)

- Digital fishPhones plugins

Simply amazing stuff.

bpblog
KVRAF
1680 posts since 22 Apr, 2009 from Belgrade

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:10 pm

Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

Nighthawk77
KVRist
279 posts since 8 Sep, 2010 from Earth (most of the time)

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:11 pm

mabian wrote:- All Melda Production Free Plugins - ton of awesome modulation features (LFOs, envelope followers, step sequencers) hidden in most of them.

- MDA plugins

- GVST suite

- Simulanalog Guitar Suite

- All Voxengo freebies

- E-Phonic (Retrodelay especially)

- Digital fishPhones plugins

Simply amazing stuff.
+2

Good list!

ObsoleteAcc99
Banned
22486 posts since 5 Sep, 2001

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:21 pm

Barricade and TB deesser, of course as well as the EBU metering plugin (wow what value).

I don't have any thing else really cheap in mac land i can think of right now that has blown me away. TB was the first one to do that for me.

cyphersuit
KVRAF
2177 posts since 12 Nov, 2009

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:22 pm

compressor:

audio damage rough rider (64 bit, nice on drums)
Finally!

heffus
KVRian
1081 posts since 3 Aug, 2005 from Chicago

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:29 pm

DC8C. Not free but very reasonable for what you get. Those new Sleepy Time meters are nice too.

Shy
KVRAF
5168 posts since 27 Jun, 2004

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:35 pm

Aiynzahev wrote:These plug-ins sound amazing to me and are free or very cheap. They make me wonder if buying plug-ins that cost $$$ are really necessary.
You can keep wondering or you can check and decide whether the cost of more expensive alternatives is worth it or not. I don't know why any of the plugins you listed sounds amazing to you, so I have no idea what other plugins (which cost less or more, or are free) you'd like more, less, or as much.

Especially because of the way you put it (such as "plugins that cost $$$"...), to me this just looks like another one of those threads about "we can get amazing (?..) things for little money and we don't need (?..) to spend a lot of money, so let's celebrate and acknowledge that there are wonderful cheap products but that more expensive ones are also a viable alternative but it's great that there are cheaper ones and no one needs (?..) to pay "$$$" to get amazing results that are just as good as anything because it's not about the tools it's about the user and you can make a top quality recording of Bach's cello suites using a home made instrument and equipment and don't necessarily need more expensive stuff and it's all 1 and 0 because it's digital anyway so it's all the same and don't fall for the hype but still there are great developers with both cheap and expensive products but we don't need expensive products because there are amazing cheap ones".
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

bezusheist
Banned
395 posts since 21 Dec, 2010 from Vermont, USA

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:41 pm

Sonalksis Free-G

Aiynzahev
KVRAF
3566 posts since 29 Jun, 2011 from USA

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:19 pm

bezusheist wrote:Sonalksis Free-G
Use it all the time!
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Return to “Effects”