What has pissed you off today?

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->
User avatar
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
5602 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Fri May 17, 2019 9:39 am

Bombadil wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:18 am
pay people peanuts, and what do you expect?

I wasn't asking him to come out with a bright beaming smile and say, "how can I help you sir". Perhaps for example, just any vaguely human response to my, "Evening" when I walked in, other than a scowl would have been nice..common human decency is always a plus point in my book.

I'm a full-on socialist and of course am under no illusions about surplus value, appropriation of value by capital etc..However, I'm also not 'the man', and was being polite. Perhaps it's again just a Yarkshur thing.. :hihi:

chk071
KVRAF
19870 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: What has pissed you off today?

Post Fri May 17, 2019 9:40 am

I disagree that people here can't live from minimum wages. But, even if they couldn't, what would a pay raise achieve? As i said, the pay raise has got to come from somewhere, and, no company has a money press in the cellar, so, it has to come from higher prices, which won't help the people who got pay raise, because it will affect them the same way. That's too short sighted.

Again, though, i worked a couple of real shit jobs in my life, and, none of them could not afford me a living. I also was unemployed, and still could afford a living. You can't buy a iPhone, and a 2000 € TV, and all that though, that's for sure.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
44377 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: What has pissed you off today?

Post Fri May 17, 2019 9:50 am

maybe the pay raise could come from profits? :o

chk071
KVRAF
19870 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: What has pissed you off today?

Post Fri May 17, 2019 9:54 am

Who says that there always have to be profits? There are enough companies who are in the red. Who says that companies don't need money to expand, which also can be good for both employees and customers? Who says that it is fair that someone who does a work which requires no education, not much of learning, and very little amount of thinking, or skills has to earn as much as someone who's had to do years of education to a phsyically and mentally hard work, or a CEO who works 80 hours a week? Sorry, but, in most cases, i just can't see the arguments for this "social injustice". Especially when the people involved don't really have to do the work, and could have learned something entirely different, which gives them a better lifestyle.

Again, though, the people working in supermarkets here can afford a living. No doubt. It's just that SOME hate what they're doing, maybe because they want to do nothing at all, and still get money.

We really live in paradise these days. Look back 2 or 3 generations, and you see people who were more or less forced to do what their fathers and grandfathers did, and didn't have a choice at all. Look back 40 years, and all people could afford was MAYBE a television. Look at what we have now, and what everyone can afford. A real first world discussion.

User avatar
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
5602 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Re: What has pissed you off today?

Post Fri May 17, 2019 10:17 am

chk071 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:54 am


We really live in paradise these days. Look back 2 or 3 generations, and you see people who were more or less forced to do what their fathers and grandfathers did, and didn't have a choice at all. Look back 40 years, and all people could afford was MAYBE a television. Look at what we have now, and what everyone can afford. A real first world discussion.
I think you've just disappeared up your own argument's arse a bit there...

Is it not because of the quest for social justice you so deride earlier, that the situation is comparatively allegedly better as you posit? Or is it because our benevolent overlords are so nice they decided we deserve a bit more these days.

As to the earlier argument about the supposed worth of various types of societal roles, you really do seem to display the conservative's stunning lack of awareness, and a willingness to view everything through money tinted glasses. Surely as a musician it must have occurred to you that the time and effort you've put in to learn various skills is not as well recompensed as say, some financial markers trader who was given a job in his dad's firm and 'earns' shitloads. If you're going to make a case for capitalism being a meritocracy, you really need to acknowledge the inequality of starting positions, and the bias in favour of certain structural roles inherent in the system.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
44377 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: What has pissed you off today?

Post Fri May 17, 2019 10:32 am

chk071 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:54 am

Again, though, the people working in supermarkets here can afford a living. No doubt. It's just that SOME hate what they're doing, maybe because they want to do nothing at all, and still get money.

hell of an assumption there...

maybe they would rather be doing something else, but for whatever reason (lifes like that) they've ended up stuck in a shit job, being treated like shit by their superiors and the customers too.
and its not necessarily to do with education, i know people with degrees, good ones, who have ended up in supermarkets, because theres only so many jobs for those types of qualifications. then once youre in there, because you have bills that need paying or your homeless, try getting time off for interviews.
so you have to risk losing a job to get a job :shrug: yeah f**king awesome.

when i left school, jobs where actually quite easy to come by, i got sacked once from one job after an altercation with the manager and got a job at the factory next door starting that afternoon.

now we in this town, have one factory, 3 supermarkets and two office buildings.
theres a few family run shops and then more barbers and hairdressers than needed. that and a couple of takeaways.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
44377 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: What has pissed you off today?

Post Fri May 17, 2019 10:34 am

also, back then...
more often than not, one parent in a family worked, the other looked after the kids.
kids weren't left to eat microwaved shite because both parents where stuck in work late.

the lack of good food in peoples diets also has an effect on mood.

User avatar
Bombadil
KVRAF
3448 posts since 31 Aug, 2013 from Far From the Twisted Reach of Crazy Sorrow

Re: What has pissed you off today?

Post Fri May 17, 2019 12:08 pm

Yer a good, addled, muppet, vurt. And you are, of course, bang on correct.
“We're an Anarcho-Syndicalist commune”
Dennis

samsam
KVRAF
2317 posts since 9 Dec, 2008

Re: What has pissed you off today?

Post Fri May 17, 2019 5:42 pm

Nm
Last edited by samsam on Sat May 18, 2019 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Aliens
KVRian
764 posts since 2 Oct, 2016 from DogGirlDon't

Re: What has pissed you off today?

Post Fri May 17, 2019 6:13 pm

vurt wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:24 am
great.
all i need is a pissed off elephant when i try to use its trunk as a bum bag :roll:
:hihi:

User avatar
Aliens
KVRian
764 posts since 2 Oct, 2016 from DogGirlDon't

Re: What has pissed you off today?

Post Fri May 17, 2019 6:16 pm

vurt wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:50 am
maybe the pay raise could come from profits? :o
Yep, instead of making 10mil, pay your staff a living wage and let the shareholders be happy with 9

User avatar
Hink
Rad Grandad
28439 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Re: What has pissed you off today?

Post Fri May 17, 2019 7:28 pm

blatant disrespect
Albert Einstein may have been a genius but his brother Frank was a monster

User avatar
Bombadil
KVRAF
3448 posts since 31 Aug, 2013 from Far From the Twisted Reach of Crazy Sorrow

Re: What has pissed you off today?

Post Sun May 19, 2019 4:07 pm

Trying to set up a drum map for ADD2 in Cubase. :x :bang:
“We're an Anarcho-Syndicalist commune”
Dennis

V0RT3X
KVRAF
7675 posts since 4 Jul, 2012 from Alesia

Re: What has pissed you off today?

Post Sun May 19, 2019 6:02 pm

Trying to make a tutorial video on how to use Rewire with Ableton live and Reason only to find I spend an hour rambling and getting sidetracked. I probably should write out a script of some sort.

This stuff isn't easy :help:

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
44377 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: What has pissed you off today?

Post Mon May 20, 2019 3:17 am

Aliens wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:13 pm
vurt wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:24 am
great.
all i need is a pissed off elephant when i try to use its trunk as a bum bag :roll:
:hihi:
:lol:

Return to “Off Topic”