Waldorf PPG Wave

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PPG Wave 3.V

Does anyone have this, and what do they think of it, please?
Problem is, I am trying the evaluation, and I love how it sounds. It adds something I like to the other stuff I'm using.
But it doesn't look like there are too many extra soundbanks out there, I'm not sure yet if I can make new ones of my own as I'm still getting the hang of it, and I don't want to buy something that is already obsolete.
On the other hand, I do love those sounds and even the funky look of it.
Anyone have an opinion either way?
Cheers.
PT10, SonicCouture, PSP, FabFilter Pro-L, Kontakt5, HollowSun, Cinematique, VSL, Celemony, Absynth5, Battery3, EWQL, IvoryGrand, Arturia, B4II, Omnisphere, Martin D28, Gibson LP, Fender P, Roland XP10, Reaktor5, HideawayStudio, Waldorf PPGW.

Hi,

PPG Wave 3.V is one of my favorite synths. Some of the factory sounds are from me too.
At this years Musikmesse i have tested a real PPG Wave 2.2 and found that the PPG Wave 3.V sounds almost perfectly similar.

I just posted those links in another thread:

Soundsets for Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V:

- "Atmospheric Transients" by Ingo Weidner (myself...):

http://www.waldorfmusic-shop.de/epages/ ... ts/wsetp01
http://www.waldorfmusic-shop.de/epages/ ... ts/wsetp01

more info and free test presets: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=344042

At October Waldorf will do a sale of this soundset (around 20 Euros).

- "Blue Wave" by Rob Lee:
http://www.waldorfmusic-shop.de/epages/ ... ts/wsetp02

- "Nineteen Eighty Four" by Xenos Soundworks:
http://xenossoundworks.com/ppgwave.html

- "Ambiodrone" by Random Wave Music:
http://www.rwmsoundbanks.com/Ambiodrone-RWM.html

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Thanks, Ingo. Make them have this discount NOW!
;)
PT10, SonicCouture, PSP, FabFilter Pro-L, Kontakt5, HollowSun, Cinematique, VSL, Celemony, Absynth5, Battery3, EWQL, IvoryGrand, Arturia, B4II, Omnisphere, Martin D28, Gibson LP, Fender P, Roland XP10, Reaktor5, HideawayStudio, Waldorf PPGW.

vicshere wrote:Thanks, Ingo. Make them have this discount NOW!
;)
Sorry,

not possible before October...

BTW at the KVR link for my soundset you'll find a download for 10 free presets (with samples).

UPFATE:
copied from the link above:

I had the idea to create a small bank of 10 prestes/patches from my "Atmospheric Transients" bank and offer this as a free download to everybody at KVR. This will include a bank file (.fxb) with the 10 presets and 7 samples which are required for those. The remaining 3 patches use the internal wavetables.
Of course you are not allowed to redistribute those presets and especially the samples.

The download link for the 10 free presets (+ 7 samples):
https://rapidshare.com/files/1856168482 ... Bank_1.zip

Installation:
Please copy the folder included in the zip file into the „ Local Libray " or „User Library " of the PPG Wave 3.V Plugin. Normally the "Local Library" could be found inside the installation folder of the plugin like e.g. "\vstplugins\Waldorf\PPGWave3.V Sounds".

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingo, is it difficult to make new sounds? How do you do that?

vicshere wrote:Ingo, is it difficult to make new sounds? How do you do that?
Do you mean in general or specifically with the PPG Wave 3.V ?

If i should introduce you into sound design it could take ages... :)
Something you usually learn over years starting analyzing presets others have made.

In my PPG soundset many samples made with other synths are included and i had to create the presets with those too so it's double work.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

I was referring more to actually doing it - you drag some WAV files into the browser, save them as a group, make adjustments, etc? I can see how to do it in Kontakt, but this seems confusing to me!

vicshere wrote:I was referring more to actually doing it - you drag some WAV files into the browser, save them as a group, make adjustments, etc? I can see how to do it in Kontakt, but this seems confusing to me!
Hi,

The sampling in the PPG Wave 3.V is based on the old Waveterm so it's quite "L-Fi". For a normal preset you use a single WAV file. In the PPG a sample is called "Transient".
The 8 parts shown in e.g. the browser correspond to multi programs. You could use those to either split and layer different presets. If you click on the "PROG" button/menu you could set e.g. the midi chanell and the keyzone (KEY LO/HI) for each part. This way if you use the same midi channel and the same preset for eacjh of the 8 parts you could also do "multisamples" if you use a different sample/transient for each part. Such settings have to be saved as a .fxb (bank) file while "normal" presets could be saved as .fxp (preset) files.
Some of those "Multi programs" are included in both the factory sounds and also with my soundbank (e.g. multisamples from a Virus TI Hypersaw).

You could add a WAV file in the browser by drag & drop the file into "TRANSIENT" for the part you want, usually the first part if you don't want to do a multi program.
The samples/transients are also handled in the TRNSNT menu. You could open a WAV file there by clicking at the small black arrow besides "TRANSIENT" and a drop-down menu with "load Transient" and "Clear" appears. In that menu you could also do loop settings. If your WAV file contains loop settings they should be usually important. The best format for the samples is 16-bit mono with 44.1 kHz. Depending on the "True PPG" mode the sample is played back with 8-bit (PPG 2.2), 12-bit (PPG 2.3), 16-bit (PPG 2.V) or full quality (True PPG off). Of course the most authentic modes are PPG 2.2 and PPG 2.3 as they model the old synths as close as possible. The envelopes and filter settings are much different to the old 2.V plugin and they finally match the real synths.

Most of that should be also described in the manual which should be usually found at the place where the plugin is installed. If you could not find it you could get the manual here:
http://www.waldorf-music.info/en/downlo ... ation.html

Of course the sample import is just a new feature added with the new version. Usually the PPG is used to do wavetable sounds and with the new version there are more than 100 wavetables now. Wavetables could be selected in the DIGITAL menu and are sorted into banks. You click first on BANK to select a wavetable bank and then on WAVETABLE to select a wavetable.
You either scan through the waves in the wavetable with the OSC (main oscillator) and SUB (second oscillator) knobs at the main interface and with the ENV1 WAVES knob you could set the amount of which envelope 1 is involved in scanning through the wavetable. In the MOD (modulation matrix) menu you could also assign e.g. the LFo or key tracking to the wave selection/scanning.

Again most of that should be explained in the manual. The PPG Wave 3.v is a complex synth so you should really have a look at the manual.
You could also check the factory presets how some things are done.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

vicshere wrote:Is it difficult to make new sounds? How do you do that?
PPG Wave is an very easy and quick synth to work with if you learn the underlying basics (like how the wavetables work). This is why I like it. It does only one thing, has a great one page interface and does not have too many bells and whistles. Despite that you can get a wide range of sounds from generic to those you can not make with other synths.
No signature here!

Thanks, Ingo and Robot! Some very clear info here, and I do appreciate it.
I will save this info, as I didn't find the manual as straightforward as Ingo's advice.
And if I ever manage to create a good sound, I will let you know!
Cheers.
:)

Hi Ingo.
The more I evaluate this, the more I want it. But there are some problems, and I wonder if you have any info on them, please?
I will past the message I sent to Waldorf, as I think they may take much longer to get back to me.
Many thanks.
Here it is -
Hi,
I am currently trying the evaluation of PPG Wave and I want to buy it, as the sounds are so good.
However, I am experiencing many issues with it.
I am running it with the VST wrapper in ProTools 10 on a MacBook Pro, 4GB memory.
When I close a session with PPG Wave in it, it is not possible to re-open that session straight away.
Instead, I have to close down ProTools and reopen to begin work again in that session, because I get an Application Not Responding message.
Also, I am getting many freezes.
Sometimes, I also experience a Clock problem, and have to restart the MacBook to get back into the session.
Is the evaluation version inferior to the fully-paid version, or will I have these same issues when I buy it?

3.V has excellent sound, but the CPU can be very high and there is still to x64 Native port.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I really love the sound of the new PPG wave version, I bought it immediately when it came out. It just fits the music I'm making nowadays, with that kind of oldskoolish wooly sound, still different from pure analogue synthesis.
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

Actually, to be fair, I just received a very fast response from Waldorf.
Looks like some new vesions may be on the way.

vicshere wrote:Actually, to be fair, I just received a very fast response from Waldorf.
Looks like some new vesions may be on the way.
Hi,

i am sorry to hear you have problems with it.

I am using it in Ableton Live 8.3.3 on Windows 7 32-bit without having big problems so far. Im am using an USB dongle (eLicenser) for the copy protection (same for some other plugins from Waldorf, Xils Lab and Arturia).

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Return to “Instruments”