Polyphonic Guitar to MIDI VST/AU "MIDI Guitar"- BETA TEST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MIDI Guitar 0.9 beta released!

We're happy to announce that BETA version 0.9.0 is ready for testing. The update is almost entirely devoted to tracking improvements, and as always we need your feedback. We expect a few 0.9.x releases with further tracking improvements but are currently held back a bit by CPU usage constraints that we have solve first. Its not a promise, but we certainly look forward for further investigations.

WHAT'S NEW IN 0.9.0:
  • Major tracking improvements (generally more responsive and improved latency). Also fixed some tracking issues at buffer sizes smaller than 5.8ms (bug in 0.7, 0.8 )

Support for drop D/D# tunings.

Built in interactive help system and documentation.

Smaller binary file sizes.

New "Dynamics" MIDI Machine for dynamics automation

Fix: No longer sends out MIDI CC-119 streams
    Fix: Various minor fixes
ATTENTION:
  • We discovered that all versions 0.7.x and 0.8.x has a bug which will overwrite recognition presets (including the default ones) with a uniform/flat pitch sensitivity iff those presets have been originally created with another version of MIDI Guitar. This typically has bad impact on tracking. It is now corrected in 0.9 and forward but please delete or revisit your old recognition presets. Also make sure you try each of the three default presets again to find the best setup for your guitar.

Also, versions 0.7 - 0.8 have had a problem where buffers smaller than 256 at 44.1Kh would degrade quality tracking considerably. This is fixed in 0.9.
HOW TO DOWNLOAD:

We typically have hosting/speed problems during releases due to high traffic. We are currently improving our hosting plan but its not yet ready, so please be patient or try again in a day or two when the dust have settled.

Please try first the download mirror at google:

Win: https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B6wnqsfO ... t=download

Mac: https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B6wnqsfO ... t=download

and if not - try the official:
http://www.jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/MI ... .0-Win.zip
http://www.jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/MI ... .0-Mac.zip

Please consider to subscribe to news on our website to keep oriented about updates.
JamOrigin.com

Like us on Facebook.com/JamOrigin and follow us on Twitter @JamOrigin

Congrats. I played the new version all night and it's a remarkable update.

Is seems more responsive indeed and legato runs, hammers, pulloffs, slides etc register perfectly now. The sustain of this thing is uncanny. I pick a note and let it ring until I cant hear it anymore. Then bend and wait a little longer, then release. MG tracks it aaaall the way. I also found chords slightly tighter although I cant really put my finger on it. Perhaps its due to slightly improved latency? Drop-D tuning adds a little latency over E but I guess thats simply physics.

Again, Congrats. Remarkable achievement.

Thank you for this innovational technology/software. It's amazing, and I'm glad you've improved tracking. It was having some trouble with some notes I played, not really detecting that I was playing the note.

This is an amazing alternative to shelling out nearly 1k USD for a special pickup and a guitar synth pedal.

As cool as existing guitar-to-midi stuff was, it always was sad not being able to have polyphony. I understand that takes extensive programming of special algorithms to monitor the input, but now with this, we finally have that possibility. Technology like this are great breakthroughs.
Keep up the good work!

Just downloaded and will report back later today.

Thanks for the heads up regarding tracking bugs in the previous versions. I thought it was just me, but tracking was bad after version 0.5. Hopefully version 0.9 corrects this.

Sincere apologies if this has been covered previously but , I seem to be having problems scanning for VST plugins from within MidiGuitar. I keep getting an "Invalid Executable" error when I try to scan for VST's.
I have tried just using the standalone version , and I have also tried from within the plugin version ( which then prompts to open the standalone). Both approaches result in the same "Invalid Executable" error.
I never had this problem in the early versions as far as I recall.
Im dying to check this latest versions' tracking improvements and will definitely be a future buyer once I can solve this scanning prob.

Thanks a lot and apologies again if this has been covered before but its a pretty big thread to go through page by page ( a fitting testament to MIDIGUITAR's popularity ) :)
I meant to do that.

It's not bad for creating a wall of noise, but as far as I strum, it's got to be real deliberately for it to pick up all the notes.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

*update*

- 0.8.2 is in regard of hammer-ons much more responsive than 0.9.0 (it's almost NOT working!) but was not usable (for me) because it triggers too much other notes.

- version 0.5.3 tops all other versions when it comes to staccato notes on open strings

- for some strange reason version 0.8.2 is not working correctly anymore since i'm using version 0.9.0. v0.6.1 still working fine.

- slightly better responsiveness with fast string runs with version 0.9.X

- problems i got with staccato notes where dependent of my playing style in conjunction with the longer sustain in v0.9.X (which still is a mystery to me why this should affect note recognition in monophonic mode)
Last edited by derivative on Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 11 times in total.

I downloaded the latest version today, and I'm sorry to say version 0.5.3 is still better. Latency is as good as 0.5.3, but for some reason tracking in 0.5.3 is better.

Using version 0.8.2 in standalone with Logic Pro X is pretty unusable, I'm getting a lot of latency. That's with Midi Guitar at 128 & Logic at 256/128/64 samples. Pity because my bass guitar is out of action & I was gonna buy this to trigger Scarbee to use on an EP I'm working on.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

First, seems we broke plugin scanning in a last minute change before the release - we will fix that in 0.9.1 today.

But more importantly, we really want to get to the bottom of why some have a better experience of tracking in previous version (version 0.5 and 0.6 especially). We are testing on a vast amount of real user recordings and also synthetic generated recordings and we see that 0.5 cause generally lots of spurious notes whereas 0.6 and 0.9 does not. On the other hand 0.6 has a slightly higher latency than 0.5 and 0.9. 0.9 comes out as a winner on all our recordings. So it looks like we have to improve our methodology as well.

We really want to get to the bottom of this. Please help us by sending a small wav recording of a chord or something very simple where 0.9 it mess up. We will take a serious look at it and try to get to an understanding of how your guitar behaves .

One guess is that those having problems have a low volume input and sensitivity all way up to 100? If this is the case put gain on input and let us know if situation improves.

EDIT: Another - maybe more likely - explanation could be that later versions of MG have generally been taking up more CPU resources and maybe some of you feel that v0.5 and 0.6 are better because they have been within your CPU budget, whereas new version is not? Mind, this is not trivial to measure because CPU usage is spiky and thus you cant see it on your process monitors and MG will skip buffers and thus cause recognition problems if spikes are too high. It would be nice to know if some of you have fast i7 processors to invalidate this point.

Thanks again.

EDIT:
Peaevy2000, some have reported that the virtual midi from MG standalone to logic cause extra latency. We are looking into using the IAC driver instead. Otherwise try to use the MG AU in Logic with only audio outputs and let us know if that helps.
Last edited by JamOrigin on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
JamOrigin.com

JamOrigin wrote: EDIT:
Peaevy2000, some have reported that the virtual midi from MG standalone to logic cause extra latency. We are looking into using the IAC driver instead. Otherwise try to use the MG AU in Logic with only audio outputs and let us know if that helps.
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes the latency & tracking is much better using MG on an audio track (using Kontakt/Scarbee bass within MG) But I'd prefer to have the convenience of being able to record the midi. Glad to see your looking at other options for Logic users :)

JamOrigin wrote:Thanks for the feedback, guys!

First, seems we broke plugin scanning in a last minute change before the release - we will fix that in 0.9.1 today.

Great , Thanks for the quick reply , I look forward to testing the fix.
I meant to do that.

JamOrigin.com

Hi
I'm new to the forum
First off thanks to the JamOrigin guys for making the most exciting software I've seen for a long time.

I tried it a few weeks ago and couldn't resist buying it.

It works surprisingly well but I'm a bit confused by some users reporting far better results than I'm getting.

Latency: I've seen comments that some users are getting no noticible latency. I'm using the stand alone version through a Line6 UX2 into a reasonably recent dual core 2gb PC buffer = 128 and I'm getting pretty noticible latency. I tried Asio4all at 64 buffer but it only improved slightly. Am I doing something wrong?

Response: I don't fully understand how the gain controls and sensitivity interact to get the best response. I'm running a Schecter/EMG81 direct to the UX2 unprocessed into the Midi Guitar software. Can anyone suggest a good setting for sensitivity and gain?

One more thing, Sometimes when I play chords or apreggios the notes come out in the wrong order, like its getting stuck for a moment then spews out some notes very late. Is this what other people are calling jitter or is this something else? How can I improve this?

Return to “Instruments”