Anyone making "Sandbox-Safe" Audio Units?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

See http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/ ... index.html and https://developer.apple.com/library/mac ... index.html for more info.

I have the unfortunate distinction of making the the only (AFAIK) sandboxed AU host, but I suspect Apple will be sandboxing their own AU hosts (Logic, GarageBand, FCP) in the future, in order to follow their own Mac App Store rules.

Congratulations on being an early adopter!

I, with great sadness, have to bump this thread:

https://twitter.com/Chris_Randall/statu ... 8354750464

It sounds like an upcoming revision of Logic Pro X will REQUIRE sandboxing.

Any thoughts?

Sean Costello

I've been notified by my boss that I'll need to make the adjustments to the plugs I look after.

Great.

Thoughts? Well, it's just another thing, isn't it..

My favourite quote from The History Boys, in reply to the question "What is history?"
"It's just one f*cking thing after another."

Audio dev is becoming more like history every day.

I'm glad. I will finally get rid of the "Unsandboxed" version of my app.

Besides, all software should be sandboxed. Totally makes sense from a security perspective.

I'm curious how plugins which communicate with hardware (like UAD) can still work under sandboxing.

I wonder how samplers which access file on the HD without opening any file dialog will work with sandboxing.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

otristan wrote:I wonder how samplers which access file on the HD without opening any file dialog will work with sandboxing.
Etc, etc, etc, etc...

otristan wrote:I wonder how samplers which access file on the HD without opening any file dialog will work with sandboxing.
AFAIK it will still be possible to open files anywhere on the HD, but the app or plugin will have to "advertise" or request that access when it's submitted to Apple for approval.

I would guess the same thing is required for all other access e.g. network comms. The developer essentially has to inform Apple which APIs and what areas of the system are required for the app to work.

It will then be up to Apple to approve or reject the binary based on the information provided by the developer.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

We got word from Apple that our AUs work just fine in sandboxed AU hosts, less the ability to store preferences. That means we can access presets with load and save and we can access Application Support with file load, without doing anything at all. I guess storing preferences can be made work by using those obscure file system bookmarks. We'll check it out.

Which means that IMHO doomsday is postponed yet again.

Urs wrote:We got word from Apple that our AUs work just fine in sandboxed AU hosts, less the ability to store preferences. That means we can access presets with load and save and we can access Application Support with file load, without doing anything at all. I guess storing preferences can be made work by using those obscure file system bookmarks. We'll check it out.

Well thank Gawd the preferences of an obscure musical instrument plug-in were prohibited from writing to The Volume! Disaster averted! Value added?

AdmiralQuality wrote:
Urs wrote:We got word from Apple that our AUs work just fine in sandboxed AU hosts, less the ability to store preferences. That means we can access presets with load and save and we can access Application Support with file load, without doing anything at all. I guess storing preferences can be made work by using those obscure file system bookmarks. We'll check it out.

Well thank Gawd the preferences of an obscure musical instrument plug-in were prohibited from writing to The Volume! Disaster averted! Value added?
Dunno. If anything then I guess that whole end-of-the-world trip that everyone seems to thrive on may be over. At least for us. YMMV

Urs wrote:We got word from Apple that our AUs work just fine in sandboxed AU hosts [...]
Is there an official channel where AUs can be checked?
It would be nice to know whether plugins are working before a sandboxed Logic is released.

Christian
HOFA-Plugins

HOFA wrote:
Urs wrote:We got word from Apple that our AUs work just fine in sandboxed AU hosts [...]
Is there an official channel where AUs can be checked?
It would be nice to know whether plugins are working before a sandboxed Logic is released.

Christian
HOFA-Plugins
I'm not sure. The guys from Apple Q & A asked for a Satin license, and we asked them to check it out sandboxed. I don't know if there's any official way to submit AUs. I don't even know if the CoreAudio mailing list still exists.

Wasn't there a simple way to sandbox AU Lab?

The other thing is their move to a new AU hosting API. I don't know how to test that unless one has developer previews of Logic. I don't know any official way for this either, but I guess one needs a developer account with Apple. If that isn't enough, I can ask our contact and pass that info on.

If you are registered as Apple developer, you may ask for the latest Logic Pro developer version I think.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”