Moving plugins to a new computer

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, I'm upgrading to a new PC for the first time since I started using audio software. I haven't starting moving any software yet, but I'm wondering if there are any issues with just moving dll files or installing plugins and using the same registration. My fear is that I will trip some sort of anti-piracy doohickey in a plugin and have my license revoked altogether. Any advice?

It depends on whicuh plugins but yes there will probably be issues with just copying the plugins over.

Some can just be copied over.

Others will need reinstallation (to install all the files associated with the plug-in). And some will need re-authorisation (dongled plug-ins should be OK). The same Serial Number should be OK but you may need a new Activation Code from the dev.

Advice (i.e. what I did):
-- don't try to do them all at once,
-- only copy/install them when you need them (that's a good way of cutting out the unused ones),
-- check with the dev that you can install / authorise the plug-in on a new PC,
-- if you ran an installer originally, run it again on the new PC,
-- you may need to run the Installer (and then your host DAW) "as Administrator to access some sub-folders (e.g. those in Program Files folder) successfully,
-- don't forget the plug-ins' presets you have created over the years.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Yeah, it depends on the plugin.

I've noticed most freebies that come with an installer can then be just copied once they're extracted to dll. But not all of them. Best you can do is try. Make a system image backup first if you want to be careful and then go crazy.

With post-XP systems I also tend to put VSTs outside of the "Program files" folders, which makes it a bit easier to manage, since you don't have to add write permissions.
So I have a VST32 and a VST64 folder on C:\.

DarkStar wrote:It depends on whicuh plugins but yes there will probably be issues with just copying the plugins over.

Some can just be copied over.

Others will need reinstallation (to install all the files associated with the plug-in). And some will need re-authorisation (dongled plug-ins should be OK). The same Serial Number should be OK but you may need a new Activation Code from the dev.

Advice (i.e. what I did):
-- don't try to do them all at once,
-- only copy/install them when you need them (that's a good way of cutting out the unused ones),
-- check with the dev that you can install / authorise the plug-in on a new PC,
-- if you ran an installer originally, run it again on the new PC,
-- you may need to run the Installer (and then your host DAW) "as Administrator to access some sub-folders (e.g. those in Program Files folder) successfully,
-- don't forget the plug-ins' presets you have created over the years.
This changing computer/hard disk/OS and taking backups is most important and too overlooked issue in the home studio/semi-pro audio business, I wonder why.
Apple has developed some good cloud services, there are all kind of plugin authorization services, but when the user needs to upgrade some part of the computer or change the whole system, this can generate really much work. This should be much easier - liked to hear comments from those who use e.g. some cloud backup service. H.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”