Phonec Tutorial: External Audio Processing

Official support for: psychicmodulation.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I should mention that this thread was originally created for Phonec v1x, which was a Synthedit plugin. Note the dates on some of the posts. I should update it since this thread is still linked to in the User Manual. So to clarify, I have no plans to make an FX version of Phonec2. The mentions made about this above were regarding Phonec v1x. I do have plans to make a separate FX unit, which you will be hearing more about soon.

I'd be interested in an FX unit.

Unless someone has worked out how to route the audio to phonec 2 in later versions of Cubase?

Is there a way to use Phonec to process external audio in Logic?

Update: I figured out how to do this in Logic.

Short version: in Phonec2 window, upper right corner, set "Side Chain" to whatever instrument you want the input into Phonec2 to be.

Longer version, to be slightly more elegant:
1) On the track you want to be routed into Phonec, send it to an empty bus (for the sake of example, let's say "Bus 2", but any empty bus will do). Put level to the bus at whatever you want, but +0.0 seems like standard default. Set Output on this track to "No Output".
2) On the Bus you've sent that track to (in this example, Bus 2), also set the output to "No Output"
3) Put the Phonec2 on another track. Open Phonec2 window and a) set "Side Chain" in upper right to that bus you've sent the input to; using my example, this would be "Bus 2". b) Click the EXT button in the Mixer window.
4) Assuming you want to use Phonec2 only for effects in this scenario, turn all other knobs in the Mixer (Osc 1, Osc 2, Sub, Noise) off.

Voila. This way, all the sound from that input instrument is passing through the Phonec.

cannonbal wrote:Update: I figured out how to do this in Logic.

Short version: in Phonec2 window, upper right corner, set "Side Chain" to whatever instrument you want the input into Phonec2 to be.

1) On the track you want to be routed into Phonec, send it to an empty bus (for the sake of example, let's say "Bus 2", but any empty bus will do). Put level to the bus at whatever you want, but +0.0 seems like standard default. Set Output on this track to "No Output".
2) On the Bus you've sent that track to (in this example, Bus 2), also set the output to "No Output"
3) Put the Phonec2 on another track. Open Phonec2 window and a) set "Side Chain" in upper right to that bus you've sent the input to; using my example, this would be "Bus 2". b) Click the EXT button in the Mixer window.
4) Assuming you want to use Phonec2 only for effects in this scenario, turn all other knobs in the Mixer (Osc 1, Osc 2, Sub, Noise) off.

Voila. This way, all the sound from that input instrument is passing through the Phonec.
Glad you figured it out, and thanks for the useful info!

jack [psychicmodulation] wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:59 pm
cannonbal wrote:Update: I figured out how to do this in Logic.

Glad you figured it out, and thanks for the useful info!

Just got it today amazing plug in will take me a while to master it , and its so easy to route as an audio fx unit in reason , easy as pie :-)
heres 2 ways
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reason makes connections so much easier

In Bitwig it's even easier. Just load Phonec after whatever other instrument you want. You can load instruments after other instruments and the audio passes through. Even better is that both devices can receive midi without any special routing.

Question: Using the external audio doesn't seem to go through the filters. Is this possible?

Anybody here? Or should I send the above question to support?

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:59 pm Question: Using the external audio doesn't seem to go through the filters. Is this possible?
No, the inputs are not set up to go through the osc/filter portion of the synth, just the effects sections (Echo/Chorus). Melt is converted into an 'effect' when switched to Tape mode so it can be used with the other effects.

Yeah it makes sense after thinking about it a while since the filter is per voice.

On a side note, cool top for Bitwig users: If you put phonec after another synth, you get that synth going through the phonec effects, but both synths respond to midi (because in Bitwig midi goes to the first instrument and the instruments effects ni the chain after it simultaneously. So you get them layered but with people going through phonec's effects. You'd have to do weird routing with multiple tracks to do that with most DAWs.

How to do this in FL studio please

jack [psychicmodulation] wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:35 pm
V-GER wrote:Lovely! 8) Can anyone help me figure out how to route things in FL Studio? In Orion 8.5 (my Orion copy is NFR, and I need it for my old halfbaked "projects" and something that makes a minimum of sense to silly me anyway..) I reckon one is forced to use something like Metaplugin, I don't know of any way to route audio into a VSTi there? Or is it as simple as the old rename a copy of the dll trick to make the host percieve it as an fx plugin?
I'm not familiar with Orion, but I'll have a look at FL Studio and get back to you...
any updates on how to set it up in FL?

I'd shoot Pyschic Modulation an email. Sure they'd be able to help :-)

Return to “Psychic Modulation”