VenomEd VSTi Editor for M-Audio Venom (Win only)

Banned
1412 posts since 5 May, 2007 from Finland

Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:10 pm

Here's the pretty little thing..
http://youtu.be/XGN-JXVELd8

This is the thread for the VSTi editor I'm developing for the M-Audio Venom synthesizer. In it's current state there is still few bugs(mostly due to the broken HW spec) and it only implements the Single mode of the synth. You are still encouraged to test it out and report any problems you might notice in it's operation.

In order to try out this beta version of the editor you need to:

(A.) Install it.

(B.) Have Venom set to midi channel 1, in Single mode

(C.) Disable Venoms midi ports from your host so the plugin can load them(host might need a restart)

(D.) Load up the editor and configure the ports from the editor(click the green indicator lights for midi in and midi out port selections)

(E.) Realize that this still is in beta and a demo. Which means it's time limited(9 minutes) and partly not finished yet. For example there's no controls for the ARP or means of moving full banks of patches to or from Venom yet. Only single patches.

Current version: v0.46b

Download the Beta/Demo installer from here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/880206/MKDR_Ven ... b_demo.exe
Report ALL PROBLEMS OR BUGS to this thread, thank you.

The final version will be available when i get it done. Hopefully within 2-4 weeks. In the meantime you can support my cause and buy a registration. With it you get the current Single editor and the future Multi editor when it is released.

I have to stress though that until this gets out of beta the updates can break compatibility with earlier versions. This truly is still a work in progress!
So for now save your patches into the included sysex patch manager, and not to the hosts presets. And don't start important $$ projects without knowing this.
I will announce when the danger is over :)

-> Link to the purchase <-

Get ready to break your piggy banks. Price 10€ ! or however much you wan't to donate (Hint M-Audio/inMusic!)
Last edited by mkdr on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

Banned

Topic Starter

Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:36 pm

Buglist/dev-list (Single editor v0.45b):

- Arp Control?
- Midi channel control?
- Global settings?
- *fixed* Unison Voices HW spec mismatch - value is 2 more than it should
- rec2bank broken
- *fixed* Request not always working as expected
- *fixed* Keytrack and Sync buttons f**ked up
- *added* Quick presets for modules
- *fixed* remove midi input reminder arrow

When the Single editor is fully functional i will start developing the Multi editor.

edit: updates to the bug/dev-list
edit: updates.. ready for v0.46b release and registering possibility

Buglist/dev-list (Single editor v0.46b):

- patch recall is having some trouble loading up the right settings when opening a project - this problem surfaced when i installed new midi drivers. was fine before. very odd.
- host side midi CC not seen by UI
Last edited by mkdr on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
www.mkdr.net

KVRer
10 posts since 24 Dec, 2007

Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:16 pm

I'm so glad you picked this up. I went ahead and bought one on seeing your work. I'll be grabbing this later in the week when the synth gets here. Thank you for your effort. I hope this project pays off well. In terms of karma alone you are making a load of people very happy.
fade me out.

KVRian
1338 posts since 21 Dec, 2004

Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:04 pm

Will be giving you my money when link is in!

Will the issue of the host enabled ins/outs be worked out eventually? I like to use my venom as a controller for other vst's too, so hopefully I don't have to go in and enable/disable them all the time to switch between VenomEd and other vst's.

Fantastic work so far. The GUI with all controls laid out visible is such a relief. Really nice work so far.

Have to add - thank you, thank you, thank you for taking this on.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

KVRer
10 posts since 24 Dec, 2007

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:40 pm

got my venom today and was able to test. So thankful you are working on this. I was able to use it in Ableton with good results. Cant wait to see where you can take it. Thanks again.
fade me out.

Banned

Topic Starter

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:34 pm

Unrestricted license now available! Check the first post.

Lots of new updates too (v0.46b)
- controller mappings | the plugin now receives controller data from Venom
- module presets | you can save/load presets for different sections of Venom
- minor bugs fixed (check the bug/dev-list from above if interested)

And btw. I made that mushroom myself from Hama-beads!
www.mkdr.net

KVRian

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:35 am

The Whole logo is great. This thing has such a good eye appeal. Makes a big difference when editing long sessions on getting a sound just right.

I did have a tech question.

I bought mine tonight (yeah!) and downloaded 0.46b and after install, there was no standalone even though I checked for all options - start menu, standalone, vst.

During install only thing I did was repoint the default install path to my VST directory. Just the dll file, but no standalone executable.

I have my default vst directory in root of C, so C:\VST\VenomEd and of course after install complete path was C:\VST\VenomEd\MKDR

Could not find standalone anywhere.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Banned

Topic Starter

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:29 am

Wormhelmet wrote:The Whole logo is great. This thing has such a good eye appeal. Makes a big difference when editing long sessions on getting a sound just right.

I bought mine tonight (yeah!) and downloaded 0.46b and after install, there was no standalone even though I checked for all options - start menu, standalone, vst.

During install only thing I did was repoint the default install path to my VST directory. Just the dll file, but no standalone executable.

I have my default vst directory in root of C, so C:\VST\VenomEd and of course after install complete path was C:\VST\VenomEd\MKDR

It should be in your Documents folder. The same place where your patches and elements data are. It should've created a shortcut to your program listing too. Maybe it's just not that well named :P I might fix that to the next installer.
www.mkdr.net

sjm
KVRAF
2047 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:50 am

AFAICT, the editor isn't sending the project's BPM to venom - it needs to be set manually on the synth itself. You can easily verify this by having a tempo synced preset - I'm using LFOs 1 & 2 to modulate the amplitude and cutoff - and changing the bpm in your host to something silly like 18 bpm. The sound from the venom is unchanged when doing this. Pressing down the tempo button also confirms the bpm are wrong.

This doesn't seem to appear in your list of issues, unless it falls under the global settings heading.

I admit I'm still using 0.45 but your list of updated features doesn't mention it, so I assume it's still an issue. I don't really want to download the new version immediately as you said it will break project compatibility (and yes, I have saved presets as sysex, and also in Vyzex just to be safe).

KVRian

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:12 am

mkdr wrote:
Wormhelmet wrote:The Whole logo is great. This thing has such a good eye appeal. Makes a big difference when editing long sessions on getting a sound just right.

It should be in your Documents folder. The same place where your patches and elements data are. It should've created a shortcut to your program listing too. Maybe it's just not that well named :P I might fix that to the next installer.
Got it! Thanks again. Liking it so far very much.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Banned

Topic Starter

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:11 am

sjm wrote:AFAICT, the editor isn't sending the project's BPM to venom - it needs to be set manually on the synth itself. You can easily verify this by having a tempo synced preset - I'm using LFOs 1 & 2 to modulate the amplitude and cutoff - and changing the bpm in your host to something silly like 18 bpm. The sound from the venom is unchanged when doing this. Pressing down the tempo button also confirms the bpm are wrong.

This doesn't seem to appear in your list of issues, unless it falls under the global settings heading.

I admit I'm still using 0.45 but your list of updated features doesn't mention it, so I assume it's still an issue. I don't really want to download the new version immediately as you said it will break project compatibility (and yes, I have saved presets as sysex, and also in Vyzex just to be safe).
Yes that is indeed still not part of the editor. It's one of the Arp controls. I'm adding them to the next update, along with some global controls. Prob next week.
www.mkdr.net

KVRist
116 posts since 3 Mar, 2009 from Slovakia

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:21 am

Looks great, is there going to be a mac version? I sold my venom because of no editor, would buy again, it has great sound

https://soundcloud.com/lilac-moon-recor ... zing-world

Banned

Topic Starter

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:31 am

podo83 wrote:Looks great, is there going to be a mac version? I sold my venom because of no editor, would buy again, it has great sound
No Mac version planned. The amount of work and investment in new hardware for making that editor is just not sensible. Plus I'd become a slave, needing to update it every time Apple decides they need to break everything(several times a year)... So no Mac version coming.
www.mkdr.net

sjm
KVRAF
2047 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Post Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:15 am

One thing I wondered - is there any way that the editor could interface with the USB audio in from the synth?

I have no idea if it is possible in an ASIO host for a plugin to interface with an audio input that's not being routed to it by the host. At the moment I have the venom hooked up to my normal audio interface (Alesis MultiMix 12) and simply route the input into my host that way. It would be kinda cool if I could use the Venom's USB audio to send audio to the editor itself - and then have the editor plugin send audio to the host as with any other plugin.

I'm aware there are more pressing issues at the moment, and that there are workarounds to use the USB audio in my setup (e.g. use Asio4All for multiple audio interfaces, presumably set to 44.1k as the Venom doesn't do 48k). But if you can implement a hook for the MIDI in, I just wondered if the same is possible for the audio stream...

I'm asking partly just out of curiosity as to whether it's even feasible to do this.
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)

https://soundcloud.com/steevm/

Banned

Topic Starter

Post Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:39 am

sjm wrote:One thing I wondered - is there any way that the editor could interface with the USB audio in from the synth?

I have no idea if it is possible in an ASIO host for a plugin to interface with an audio input that's not being routed to it by the host. At the moment I have the venom hooked up to my normal audio interface (Alesis MultiMix 12) and simply route the input into my host that way. It would be kinda cool if I could use the Venom's USB audio to send audio to the editor itself - and then have the editor plugin send audio to the host as with any other plugin.

I'm aware there are more pressing issues at the moment, and that there are workarounds to use the USB audio in my setup (e.g. use Asio4All for multiple audio interfaces, presumably set to 44.1k as the Venom doesn't do 48k). But if you can implement a hook for the MIDI in, I just wondered if the same is possible for the audio stream...

I'm asking partly just out of curiosity as to whether it's even feasible to do this.
Well... that's an interesting question. I think that is technically possible because nothing prevents a program from reading data from the same ASIO port(if you'd use Venoms soundcard), or from several in this case(another card + Venom). I recall there was even some experimental drivers developed that do this kind of thing. But it's not a feature that would be easy to use as you'd need to have the audio interfaces synced to the same sample clock(your normal soundcard and the Venoms soundcard), or there'd have to be some realtime resampling going on. I've written a low-level ASIO audioengine myself so i know how the data is structured, but I haven't tested anything like this. And as you say it's not something that is too high on my todo list :)

A bit of quick googling turned up these:
http://www.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=101066
http://vidance.com/asiomulti/asiomulti.html
www.mkdr.net

Return to “MKDR”