Von Neumann

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
KVRist
396 posts since 24 Nov, 2008

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:35 am

Its been a while since I posted something here, so I threw this together last night. I recorded straight to wave cause it was getting late.

I decided to just name it after the man who invented the computer.

http://www.chordwarepa.com/VonNeumann.mp3

The midi was generated and composed using ChordwarePA.

Comments are welcome as always.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:02 pm

I'll have an updated version of that by tomorrow! :oops:

KVRAF
5596 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:38 pm

Saying Von Neumann invented the computer is not accurate. Charles Babbage designed a mechanical computer in the 1800s but couldn't build it because of the cost and limitations of manufacturing at the time. Alan Turing did lots of important theoretical work including describing the Turing Machine which is a simplified, abstracted description of a general purpose computer.

At the University of Pennsylvania, Mauchly and Eckert successfully built the ENIAC computer (which computed in base 10, not binary). Von Neumann was a mathematician who poked around, asked lots of questions, and figured out what Mauchly and Eckert were doing. Von Neumann published a paper on computers and took a huge amount of the credit for Mauchly and Eckert's work.

There was also the Colossus computer in the UK which I am less familiar with but I think it was specialized for code breaking while ENIAC was generalized.

KVRAF
1964 posts since 29 Apr, 2010 from NYC

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:41 pm

ImageImageImage

KVRAF

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:49 pm

as far as the track goes...not really my cup 'o tea, but i found it interesting enough to go look at the chordwarepa page.

i had never heard of it before...so thanks!
ImageImageImage

KVRAF

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:29 pm

@chaosWyrM: "Colossus: The Forbin Project" is an excellent, thought provoking sci-fi movie from 1970. The real Colossus computer was built in 1943. The two are unrelated.

KVRAF

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:02 pm

Frantz wrote:@chaosWyrM: "Colossus: The Forbin Project" is an excellent, thought provoking sci-fi movie from 1970. The real Colossus computer was built in 1943. The two are unrelated.
lol..yeah i know. i have the film and have seen it quite a few times. not to mention its also very fertile sampling grounds.
ImageImageImage

KVRAF

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:45 pm

chaosWyrM wrote:not to mention its also very fertile sampling grounds.
Do you know about the album "Voice Of World Control" by Manufacture? Colossus is heavily sampled on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4xmgiGeotg

KVRAF
2822 posts since 2 Mar, 2003 from The only civilized county in Texas

Post Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:09 am

Frantz wrote:Saying Von Neumann invented the computer is not accurate. Charles Babbage
....had the basic idea. If you're talking about electronic computers, the honour probably goes to Konrad Zuse who predates Von Neumann and Turing by a decade or so. He also invented a two-dimensional programming language!

Victor.

KVRAF

Post Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:27 pm

Zuse's Z3 is impressive but it was electro-mechanical rather than electronic. According to this Wikipedia article, ENIAC was the first electronic Turing complete computer. See the chart which compares all of the early computers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... omputation

KVRAF
2822 posts since 2 Mar, 2003 from The only civilized county in Texas

Post Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:21 pm

Btw fun piece of music.

Victor.

KVRAF

Post Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:50 pm

Frantz wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:not to mention its also very fertile sampling grounds.
Do you know about the album "Voice Of World Control" by Manufacture? Colossus is heavily sampled on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4xmgiGeotg
oh wow....i havent thought about that album in years. i used to have it...but it somehow got lost in a move i think.

i do still have non aggression pacts 9mm grudge, which has the track illusion of freedom on it and that samples colossus.

i think the non aggression pact track is the first time i heard a sample from that film...even though manufacture did it first...iirc.
ImageImageImage

KVRian
837 posts since 30 Nov, 2004

Post Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:38 am

Some odd changes of chords, but cool nontheless.

Funny how we imagine computermusic as having strange structures, or lack thereof, while we impose heavy structure on 'natural' music.

KVRAF

Post Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:53 am

chaosWyrM wrote: i do still have non aggression pacts 9mm grudge, which has the track illusion of freedom on it and that samples colossus.
I have that too. Not one of my favorite bands. I just threw on the CD. Yeah, Colossus over some loud drum loops. That was a loooong 5.5 minutes.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:26 am

Thanks for all responses. I appreciate the encouragement.

I found time to overhaul that tune:

http://www.chordwarepa.com/Neumann.mp3

Its more like what I intended (I was tranced by the first and thus deceived :) , but still working on it.

About Mr. von Neumann, I should have specified that he and his team invented the first PC, sorry. According to what I read in the book: 'Complexity' by Melanie Mitchell, a PHD in computer science, it was the basis for the early IBM PCs.

Return to “Music Cafe”