Alba - deep texture music from Csound

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Greetings,

http://linux-sound.org/audio/alba.mp3

http://linux-sound.org/audio/alba.ogg

Made with Jean-Pierre Lemoine's AVSynthesis and Ardour3. Original sounds created in AVS, edited and mixed in A3. This piece is a study in the possibilities of a Csound-based spectral warping module recently added to AVS. My other usual suspects - waveguide and Moog-style filters - are also employed. All sounds synthesized via Csound.

The piece has a wide range of frequencies and dynamics. Some pretty low rumbles are present, they're intentional. You'll want a good playback system or phones to hear everything.

Comments welcome.

Best,

dp

Some lovely sounds on here, with a predominantly "cold" feel imho. I haven't yet had a chance to listen to this on a large system. Hopefully I can do that tomorrow. I thought that this would make a great musical accompaniment to viewing strange alien landscapes. In other wor(l)ds, OST.

Good work :)

Some really nice tones, I like the "sound design", and I like how the sounds have space and time to exist independently (is that a word?) and still mix together, interact. The composition aesthetic makes me think of acousmatic music, François Bayle precisly. (maybe because of all the "floating beings" and their journey through this weird land)

And just one small critic, I liked less the use of sweeping filters, it seemed a bit "cliche" sounding, when everything else wasn't at all.

Congrats and thank for sharing!

seismic1 wrote:Some lovely sounds on here, with a predominantly "cold" feel imho. I haven't yet had a chance to listen to this on a large system. Hopefully I can do that tomorrow. I thought that this would make a great musical accompaniment to viewing strange alien landscapes. In other wor(l)ds, OST.
Good work :)
Thank you so much, seismic, I appreciate your ears. :)

My AVS pieces often have an other-worldly ambience. The sounds of 50s scifi are deeply embedded in my musical consciousness, they got to come out sometime.

And yes, for my own pleasure I'm trying to create highly atmospheric soundscapes with rich tonalities and sonorities. Most of my work is definitely non-minimalist.

Best,

dp

tanabarbier wrote:Some really nice tones, I like the "sound design", and I like how the sounds have space and time to exist independently (is that a word?) and still mix together, interact. The composition aesthetic makes me think of acousmatic music, François Bayle precisly. (maybe because of all the "floating beings" and their journey through this weird land).
You've hit the nail on the head. Bayle and the French spectralists are an influence, though not as directly as one might imagine. Their concerns coincide with mine, though my approach is more empiric, not so analytic.
And just one small critic, I liked less the use of sweeping filters, it seemed a bit "cliche" sounding, when everything else wasn't at all.
Guilty as charged. :) I'm so retro sometimes, and I love the Old Skool filter sweeps. You're right, it is a cliche, and I use it as such. The familiarity of the sweeps is a kind of balance to the more unusual sounds. Or so I tell myself.
Congrats and thank for sharing!
Thank you for listening to my piece, and thank you for your comments. You made my day with the comparison to Bayle. :)

Best,

dp

I found this interesting and hope to hear more from you. :-)

Very cool. Thanks.
No longer a moderator.

D.H. Miltz wrote:Very cool. Thanks.
Thank you, Maestro Miltz. :)

Btw, I've been putting your lyrics (Only Blue) to strange purposes around here. Nothing to unleash publicly yet, but the prognosis is good.

Best,

dp

Wonderful track that i enjoyed imensly.

Excellent use of sounds and textures.

This had me hooked from the off and never let go.

Top track for me.

@Shane Sanders : Thanks for listening. You'll hear more from me, I promise.

@blipp : Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed my work. I spent a little extra time on this one. :)

Best,

dp

Like it, even more in the high frequencies swirl during the evolution of the sound and all the harmonics appearing here and there as ghosts..but it would be more vivid to obtain similar results with noyt all these reverberation which makes it a kinda 80's chorus like and too cold...but it's just about my ears and my comment can be completely stupid..so sorry if so..
I love the rumbling on the low end at the end of the track :)
Greetings

Diego_C wrote:Like it, even more in the high frequencies swirl during the evolution of the sound and all the harmonics appearing here and there as ghosts..but it would be more vivid to obtain similar results with noyt all these reverberation which makes it a kinda 80's chorus like and too cold...but it's just about my ears and my comment can be completely stupid..so sorry if so..
No problem, we each have our limits for such things, and I'm grateful for all comments. Anyway, I'd agree with anyone who said I use too much reverb.
I love the rumbling on the low end at the end of the track
The rumble was an unplanned result. I like it too. :)

Best,

dp

Return to “Music Cafe”