midi keyboard controller with lots of knobs (suitable as synth controller)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
dadaumpa
KVRist
153 posts since 28 Mar, 2008

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:40 am

olikana wrote:(and lots of shiny empty panel space. what's that for placing coffee?)
absolutely. spilled coffee is one of the main reason for buying new gear, especially electronic gear. the music industry, the WHOLE GLOBAL ECONOMY would flop without the income from spilled coffe!

sorry :-)

cheers,
Aldo

olikana
KVRian
867 posts since 26 Jul, 2009

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:45 am

something like the virus t1 would be great.
but still there's some wasted space that could accommodate more knobs.
but i have no interest in the virus synth engine nor i have intention of shelling out more than 1500 euro for a controller that could cost 300 euro.

olikana
KVRian

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:57 am

thecontrolcentre wrote: The knobs and faders on the ReMotes are all switchable. They can control as many different funtions as you could need at the push of a button. How many knobs can you tweak at one time? I can manage 2 at a time unless I also use my teeth. :wink:
i'm not into menu diving...i want all knobs laid out in front of me ...at least all the synthesis controls (the effects and even the mod matrix i can have them in a 2nd page that's ok).
i have a nocturn.....having 1 page for oscillators. 1 page for filers, fpr lfos , 1 page for envelopes, etc etc....i ended up buying 2 of them....it's not ideal.
i am aware that the remote is probably the best option if you want a 25 key solution..and for a 25 key controller it is packed with knobs and sliders...but a 25 key is not a serious solution (37 is the bare minimum ).....and i don't feel like buying the superexpensive 49 solution which only adds empty panel space....and space on my desk is the most important thing for workflow.

rod_zero
KVRAF
3109 posts since 28 Jan, 2011 from MEXICO

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:35 am

This would be the best Image

you can find them second hand.

Then maybe the new arturia keylab, maybe they dont have so many knobs but they are encoders, easy to switch banks and even some buttons (something all controllers miss)

Pthr I liked a lot

dedication to flying

Peevy2000
KVRist
468 posts since 2 Mar, 2008

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:38 am

This is my main controller now: ;)

Only 25 keys though but that's what I was using in front of me anyway before (Oxygen 8 v2) which only had 8 knobs. I've also got a Oxygen 62 for more keys if needed.

I know a bit overkill for your needs :)

The new Keylab from Arturia looks the part. 2 banks of 16 knobs & 9 faders. looks really solidly built too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aKLiNWxaQk

T-CM11
KVRAF
2314 posts since 31 Jan, 2003 from Ghent, Belgium

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:08 am

thecontrolcentre wrote: The knobs and faders on the ReMotes are all switchable. They can control as many different funtions as you could need at the push of a button. How many knobs can you tweak at one time? I can manage 2 at a time unless I also use my teeth. :wink:
If everybody reasoned like you, then why would they make stuff like this:

:wink:

olikana
KVRian

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:38 am

guys i clearly said at least 37 keys and at least 30 knobs.
so why you insist in posting 25 keys solutions or other solutions with just 16 knobs?

rod_zero wrote:
just 16 knobs....same shit novation and roland have released already.
arturia obviously didn't listen to my suggestion to increase the minilab which would have been much better.
this is what it should have been instead

olikana
KVRian

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:56 am

Peevy2000 wrote:This is my main controller now: ;)
very neat, solid knob disposition, great angled panel .
if it had 37 keys i'd buy one in an instant, if only to use it as a midi controller. that alone would justify the price.
unfortunately placing another keyboard infront of it would absolutely kill that setup....and would force you to move the SP to the side.
25 keys no good for me...chords are a PITA and you can't even pull out a decent melody without octave shifting. big mistake by moog to go for full sized keys when they could have gone for 37 micro keys.
an eventual rack version might interest me....although i need a controller NOW. so although i see nothing of satisfaction out there , by next week i need to make a choice...

T-CM11
KVRAF

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:14 pm

olikana wrote:big mistake by moog to go for full sized keys when they could have gone for 37 micro keys.
Not big mistake by moog, but... too bad for YOU! You do realise that there are a lot of people out there that don't like micro keys? (me included)

My most knobby synth is a Microwave XT, and it's just too awesome for me to degrade it to a midi controller. (same thing for the Moog)

Peevy2000
KVRist
468 posts since 2 Mar, 2008

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:21 pm

olikana wrote: very neat, solid knob disposition, great angled panel .
if it had 37 keys i'd buy one in an instant, if only to use it as a midi controller. that alone would justify the price.
unfortunately placing another keyboard infront of it would absolutely kill that setup....and would force you to move the SP to the side.
25 keys no good for me...chords are a PITA and you can't even pull out a decent melody without octave shifting. big mistake by moog to go for full sized keys when they could have gone for 37 micro keys.
an eventual rack version might interest me....although i need a controller NOW. so although i see nothing of satisfaction out there , by next week i need to make a choice...
I'm a guitarist with limited keyboard skills so 25 keys suits me fine for the desk. As much as it might've been nice to have at least a 32 key SP, I think Moog made the right decision. Its one of the most compact synths moog's made so far, which is pretty much perfect for a small home studio. 37 keys would probably have increased the price & I think Moog wanted to make the SP an affordable (for a Moog) synth.

A 37 Key knobby midi controller would be an ideal size for the desktop, Its a pity Arturai didn't add a 37 to the keylab lineup. I know they've only got 16 knobs but bank 2's only a very quick button click away.
T-CM11 wrote: Not big mistake by moog, but... too bad for YOU! You do realise that there are a lot of people out there that don't like micro keys? (me included)

My most knobby synth is a Microwave XT, and it's just too awesome for me to degrade it to a midi controller. (same thing for the Moog)
I see the option to use the SP as a midi controller as an enhancement, although it would be degrading to use it as a midi controller exclusively :shock: . Which I definitely have no intention of doing ;)
Last edited by Peevy2000 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T-CM11
KVRAF

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:15 pm

Peevy2000 wrote: I see the option to use the SP as a midi controller as an enhancement, although it would be degrading to use it as a midi controller exclusively :shock: . Which I definitely have know intention of doing ;)
But it's always one or the other, never both at the same time. Seems very frustrating to me...

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
27795 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:42 pm

T-CM11 wrote:
If everybody reasoned like you, then why would they make stuff like this:

:wink:
Nice synth. FYI my studio has plenty of analog gear with a knob/slider for every parameter. The ReMote controls the synths with no keyboards and my DAW. :P

T-CM11
KVRAF

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:52 pm

thecontrolcentre wrote:Nice synth. FYI my studio has plenty of analog gear with a knob/slider for every parameter.
But there's not a lot of alternatives like that for VST synths. I can only think of the MS20 Legacy controller...

Ch00rD
KVRian
777 posts since 13 Dec, 2011

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:08 pm

olikana wrote:something like the virus t1 would be great.
but still there's some wasted space that could accommodate more knobs.
but i have no interest in the virus synth engine nor i have intention of shelling out more than 1500 euro for a controller that could cost 300 euro.
Bad idea, indeed. Imho the Virus TI(2) keyboards suck for the purpose of being a MIDI-only controller. I should know, because I have one. It has a great general build quality, but is simply too buggy to be reliable, and does only 7 bit MIDI anyway. (And I don't like the synth engine at all either, to my ears it sounds mediocre at best.

(I really should just get rid of it.)
olikana wrote:
Peevy2000 wrote:This is my main controller now: ;)
very neat, solid knob disposition, great angled panel .
Much better idea. I think those knobs may even send 14 bit MIDI CC#. I don't like micro keys, but I agree 25 keys is not enough. So I would also like to see a non-keyboard version of it. Too bad the Slim Phatty (beware the abbreviations: SP is already taken! ;) ) doesn't have as much knobs...

(I really should just get the Sub Phatty anyway. Never mind chords and decent melodies, fat bass FTW. ;) )

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
27795 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:24 pm

T-CM11 wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:Nice synth. FYI my studio has plenty of analog gear with a knob/slider for every parameter.
But there's not a lot of alternatives like that for VST synths. I can only think of the MS20 Legacy controller...
http://youtu.be/FsZuFPeZznA

http://youtu.be/oCYKA-Ty1Js

;)
Ch00rD wrote:I really should just get the Sub Phatty anyway. Never mind chords and decent melodies, fat bass FTW. ;)
Me too ... I'm saving up.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”