Arturia Minilab, Analog Lab. Yes or No?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
AstralExistence
KVRAF
2267 posts since 19 Sep, 2011

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:50 pm

C-note wrote:I like the interface better than the other lab/experience/factory analogs but I can't find the midi learn or cc mapping for controllers(My Panorama) other than Arturia...Seems like a huge omision to me
interface is better. im sure thats where all the development money went. you laugh but its probably more true then false.

User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
31202 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:48 pm

C-note wrote:I like the interface better than the other lab/experience/factory analogs but I can't find the midi learn or cc mapping for controllers(My Panorama) other than Arturia...Seems like a huge omision to me
Picked one up today too with the offer. Managed to map it all to my Kore controller fine. Only thing I don't like is the knobs not moving when you turn them (they work, they just don't move, which gives poor feedback) and the fact that they chose to base it on 10 knobs which means having to move between 2 screens, all other midi controllers use 8 knobs.

Weirdo Music
KVRer
3 posts since 27 Dec, 2010 from Ohio

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:19 am

I just downloaded and activated Analog Lab. I already had Analog Factory (software only), is there any reason to keep it? It doesn't do or contain anything that isn't in Analog Lab, right?

User avatar
Numanoid
KVRAF
25895 posts since 20 Jan, 2008 from a star near where you are

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:30 am

jdoo wrote:Just picked up the Analog Lab (upgrade from what I had, was $19). There are 5000 patches

- no sonic umph (su) <-- a technical term I made up... which means the sounds are weak, sound plastic, have little or no timbre. Sounding (to be harsh)
You just bought it, and you have already had time to test it so thoroughly that you can make such an evaluation? :roll:

User avatar
DHR53
KVRAF
2876 posts since 22 Oct, 2002 from "somewhere between digital and analog"

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:35 am

Geez, I really can't believe anyone would listen to this plugin and say that? Analog Factory has some of MY favorite sounds. Analog Lab adds some of the new instruments like SEM and a lot more presets. Personally, I hear a LOT of songs in there. :shrug:

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
7866 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:24 pm

DHR53 wrote:Geez, I really can't believe anyone would listen to this plugin and say that? Analog Factory has some of MY favorite sounds. Analog Lab adds some of the new instruments like SEM and a lot more presets. Personally, I hear a LOT of songs in there. :shrug:
Had a play with Analog Lab yesterday and it was nothing but pops and clicks. not even usable. I don't think that happened when I had my fireface plugged in but yesterday I was just using macbook pro built-in sound. Pretty discouraging.
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

jdoo
KVRist
493 posts since 23 Dec, 2011

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:45 pm

Numanoid wrote:
jdoo wrote:Just picked up the Analog Lab (upgrade from what I had, was $19). There are 5000 patches

- no sonic umph (su) <-- a technical term I made up... which means the sounds are weak, sound plastic, have little or no timbre. Sounding (to be harsh)
You just bought it, and you have already had time to test it so thoroughly that you can make such an evaluation? :roll:
I wrote what I wrote after spending two days working through the new capabilities. Roll your eyes at yourself, Sparky. I've had plenty of time with the Arturia Laboratory (what the Lab is based on). I have used it for 12 months, and most of the V Collection bits. If these synths are pleasing to you... Which given your passion in quoting me, they must be... Well then enjoy them. I was only sharing my experience with the software. For me... It wasn't worth the $20 upgrade, nor my time spent trying to get anything useful out of it.

clawback
KVRer
8 posts since 2 Sep, 2005

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:33 pm

Is it just me or is it impossible to return to your presets once your session is saved in Ableton?

drewdav
KVRer
12 posts since 26 Apr, 2013

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:46 am

I have never come across such a buggy piece of crap in my life.

Arturia's response was to 'Install the latest update' then install the 'License center update'. (I was already up to date i might add)

That made it go from a buggy piece of crap to a unusable piece of crap. Its now constantly crashing. Notes hang forever. Literally forever. Ill press a note and itll play until i delete the plugin (Which often crashes Ableton).

Awesome idea, very poorly executed.

Wormhelmet
KVRian
1338 posts since 21 Dec, 2004

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:03 am

Anyone have feedback on minilab controller only? I think this is a great looking controller that could be really useful for an iPad if it supports core midi.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

User avatar
Numanoid
KVRAF
25895 posts since 20 Jan, 2008 from a star near where you are

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:32 am

jdoo wrote:I wrote what I wrote after spending two days working through the new capabilities. Roll your eyes at yourself, Sparky. I've had plenty of time with the Arturia Laboratory (what the Lab is based on). I have used it for 12 months, and most of the V Collection bits. If these synths are pleasing to you... Which given your passion in quoting me, they must be... Well then enjoy them. I was only sharing my experience with the software. For me... It wasn't worth the $20 upgrade, nor my time spent trying to get anything useful out of it.
OK, see your point
drewdav wrote:I have never come across such a buggy piece of crap in my life.

Arturia's response was to 'Install the latest update' then install the 'License center update'. (I was already up to date i might add)
Based on the many dissatisfied comments about the Analog Lab software, it almost seems Arturia has scheduled this sale to get people to participate in a paid beta testing phase?

The software doesn't seem to have been ready for release, when released...

drewdav
KVRer
12 posts since 26 Apr, 2013

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:59 am

I agree. Ive come across about 4 very obvious problems (and i havnt done anything except install -> flick through presets) All of which make it impossible to use or crash the system.

Ill note though, of the god knows how many VSTs i have (Although I tend to use the AUs of plugins unless the VST works better which has never been the case), the ONLY ones on my computer that seem 'a little' buggy are Nexus2 (every so often it crashed live), Philta XL (Can be a bit funny at times), And my Arturia stuff - Minimoog (every so often does odd things), Sem V (Rarely does funny stuff) Analog Laboratory (Which was presenting some of the problems im having with Analog Lab but not as bad) and obviously Analog Lab which is the worse thing ive ever put on my computer.

All use the elicenser dongle or elicnser software. Doubt that is a coincidence.

Although that doesnt excuse just how unready Analog Lab is for being released.

User avatar
DHR53
KVRAF
2876 posts since 22 Oct, 2002 from "somewhere between digital and analog"

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:42 am

I have a C2 duo Macbook... (5 years old) and I'm using an old Tascam Fireone interface (5 years old?). No cracks and pops in Logic 9. And I put 5 instances on tracks with Microtonic to test for drums. CPU is running very high, but it's not what I'd call unusable by any means... This plug is definitely not as stable as AF, and I'm sure they know that. But I still like the sounds I'm hearing... YMMV. :shrug:

libertychap
KVRer
20 posts since 25 Jul, 2012

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:44 am

For anyone that has a Minilab - How is the actual hardware rather than the software?

I want to get one to use as a preset maker for RP Predator because it has 16 rotary encoders, but I don't want to buy it if the hardware is shitty.

User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
31202 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:21 pm

DHR53 wrote:Geez, I really can't believe anyone would listen to this plugin and say that? Analog Factory has some of MY favorite sounds. Analog Lab adds some of the new instruments like SEM and a lot more presets. Personally, I hear a LOT of songs in there. :shrug:
Yes I'm pleasantly surprised by the sound quality - I knew I liked the SEM and Prophet but even the earlier ones that a lot of people diss actually sound very nice - I particularly like the CS80 and Arp. I'd like to like the Jupiter too but unfortunately whenever I run through the presets for that it crashes after a few - seems quite unstable that one. I do agree it is pretty buggy though at the moment but the sound quality is making me want to try some of the others now.

Return to “Instruments”