Spire: Feature requests

Official support for: reveal-sound.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

We need those envelopes/lfos to react visually to changes in ADSR!

vega555 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:57 am Please do not worry, VST3 support is on the way.
This is good to hear.

Could you please ensure that when you do release your VST3 version, that you also support the requisite internal plugin IDs so that 'automatic migration' from VST2 to VST3 will be possible, such as it is within certain DAWs who support the combining of VST2/VST3 plugins (like FL Studio does).

This will allow users who previously saved projects using the VST2 versions of Spire, to then automatically substitute VST3 instances in place of any existing VST2 versions in previously saved projects.

Several plugin developers currently support such "automatic migration" for VST2 to VST3 such as Valhalla DSP, Sonic Academy, Applied Acoustics Systems'.

I contacted Valhalla to query how they managed to correctly implement this functionality for their plugins within DAWs, whereby many other developers had previously been unable to.

Here was their response (hopefully it may help you find a way to likewise support automatic VST2 to VST3 substitution):
Valhalla DSP Customer Support:

As far as automatic migration, I think that the Valhalla plugins benefitted from migrating to VST3 fairly late (in late 2020, to be precise). I use the Juce framework for my plugins, which a lot of plugin companies do, so porting to VST3 mostly involved hooking up to the latest VST3 SDK, downloading the latest Juce SDK, and enabling the VST3 build option. Which seems simple, but there are a few problems with this:

- The VST3 SDK is constantly changing. Which is weird, as VST3 is supposed to be a “standard.”
- Juce had their own VST2 implementation for several years, which had an incorrect VST Plugin ID generation (the bytes were out of order). So, if a Juce developer was building a VST2 and VST3, even if they supposedly shared the same ID, the DAW may not recognize it as the same ID. Juce has now pulled their VST2 implementation, so more recent builds might address this.
- VST3 plugin support is a shifting entity in DAWs. VST2s tend to work the same across all DAWs, but it is a crapshoot about whether or not the VST3s will behave the same across DAWs.

So, my guess for what is going on with other developers is that

- they name their VST3 builds something different, which is either intentional or accidental
- the VST Plugin ID has different formatting between VST2 and VST3, which is probably accidental.

I’m not sure how to fix the VST Plugin ID issue. I only have one plugin that was affected by this, a build of VintageVerb from 2018 or so. The latest VintageVerb builds match the older VintageVerb builds as far as VST Plugin ID, and the VST2 and VST3 plugin IDs match each other now.
Hopefully this is useful info!

is there a rough indication of when the Spire VST 3 update will be released ?
Just roughly...
next month ?
next quarter ? ...

Adding support for MPE would be great to extend the current functionality.

Any update about vst3? Missed spire on my cubase 12 😩

I think Spire is now the last VST that I use frequently enough to keep VST2 going...the sooner the can go VST3 (and CLAP :-)) the better.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Considering how long many developers already take to get out a VST3 version of their plugins, I'd rather not have them waste time on yet another format... especially when it's only supported by a single DAW (Bitwig).

I know, the Heckmann-ists will hate on this comment again. ;)

Spire is a fantastic synthie. I've been fighting with Cubase missing features all day - its ironic that they're pushing so hard - small developers really do a great job with the confusing state of the art IMHO.

I tried phase mod between oscillators, and the attack sounds kind of weird? Is there a reason for that happening? I already told Reveal Sound in an email, but I would love to see ring mod/frequency shifting options for the filters. It would also be great for the A and B components of the oscillators to have morphable waveforms, and an additive mode or editor for the waveforms would be great too.

Korg Supporter wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:28 pm I tried phase mod between oscillators, and the attack sounds kind of weird? Is there a reason for that happening?
What DAW is being used? If it is FL Studio, then check this: Use fixed size buffers
Are you modulating the [phase] knob by the frequency? If that's the case, then it doesn't work. Instead, turn [WT Mix] all way up and modulate [Ctrl B] which in 'Classic mode' it functions as realtime phase shifter.

In case that you are having phase attack clicks, the solution to this is to change the sequence of oscillators, like so:

Osc1: Modulator
Osc2: Carrier

Mod matrix:
Src: Osc1
Trg: Osc2 CtrlB

vega555 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:19 pm Post here feature requests :)
VST3 Please!

At least an update on your team's status on providing VST3 at this point.

phreaque wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:35 pm
Korg Supporter wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:28 pm I tried phase mod between oscillators, and the attack sounds kind of weird? Is there a reason for that happening?
What DAW is being used? If it is FL Studio, then check this: Use fixed size buffers
Are you modulating the [phase] knob by the frequency? If that's the case, then it doesn't work. Instead, turn [WT Mix] all way up and modulate [Ctrl B] which in 'Classic mode' it functions as realtime phase shifter.

In case that you are having phase attack clicks, the solution to this is to change the sequence of oscillators, like so:

Osc1: Modulator
Osc2: Carrier

Mod matrix:
Src: Osc1
Trg: Osc2 CtrlB
I have tried Ableton and Renoise
Yes, I am having Oscillator 2 (set at yellow dot in the mixer) modulate CtrlB of Oscillator 1 using the "Classic" algorithm. With filter FM and ring modulation, it's ok. However, attack sound during phase mod doesn't sound right.

Example: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ubveOm ... sp=sharing

Korg Supporter wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:51 am Yes, I am having Oscillator 2 (set at yellow dot in the mixer) modulate CtrlB of Oscillator 1 using the "Classic" algorithm.
This is the opposite to what I explained :) Just swapping the oscillators to be like this:

Osc1 (mixer yellow dot) <=== In this case it is functioning as the modulator.
While:
Osc2 (regular mixer level) <=== the carrier.

phreaque wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:01 pm
Korg Supporter wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:51 am Yes, I am having Oscillator 2 (set at yellow dot in the mixer) modulate CtrlB of Oscillator 1 using the "Classic" algorithm.
This is the opposite to what I explained :) Just swapping the oscillators to be like this:

Osc1 (mixer yellow dot) <=== In this case it is functioning as the modulator.
While:
Osc2 (regular mixer level) <=== the carrier.
I'll try, but I think it'll sound the same.

bardaxx wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:59 am Any update about vst3? Missed spire on my cubase 12 😩
It's been over half a year from first Reveal's reactions already, so seems like VST3 will look more like a Christmas present :party:

Return to “Reveal Sound”