One-Synth-Challenge 57: Tunefish - Chat & Gossip

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRist
146 posts since 27 Aug, 2011 from Germany

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:17 pm

chilledpanda wrote: I rendered one without high pass, bit harder to tell (more noise), but looks like it doesn't seem to be inverted, if that makes any sense (but I'm possibly talking ollocks ;) ).
Yes I've seen that, too. But I am not having an explanation for it how the highpass could possible invert the signal (or cause such a jump) on release

KVRian
659 posts since 30 Oct, 2013 from Stoke On Trent

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:18 pm

payne_bc wrote:
H-man wrote: Sure, it was this one:

1. Map ADSR1 to Noise (or volume)
2. UP the mod value a little
3. Make some quick changes to the sustain on ADSR1
4. Sound drops out, instrument seems to hang.

Off to test Beta10 :)
Hm, this seems fine here with beta11
Okay, taken Beta11 for a spin, thanks payne_bc. :)

Re above - could not achieve full crash with quick ADSR messing - but did stop ADSR1 functioning until restarted DAW, had to try hard tho to make this happen!

Status report -

RE the timing issues with this synth, the extent is highly dependent upon latency set in ASIO - I'm fine with about 7ms latency.
Also does not matter whether or not ADSR mapped to volume, still off timing.

Getting the squeak I mentioned on some percussion sounds (since the fix for broken patches)
Happens when ADSR set to frequency in mod matrix with ADS or R set above zero.

Still getting the clicks on note release with some patches notably kicks and snares. Yep when using the Highpass filter - disappears when this switched off.

I have to say this is just nitpicking fyi though as I am now fine with this synth and busy designing soundset. Not got to composing yet but soon hopefully.

And thanks for fixing the noise bug - its better this way :)

KVRian
683 posts since 26 Dec, 2007 from Australia

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:34 pm

RichardSemper wrote:Re above - could not achieve full crash with quick ADSR messing - but did stop ADSR1 functioning until restarted DAW, had to try hard tho to make this happen!
...yeah you gotta shake it! :lol:

KVRist
219 posts since 18 Jul, 2011

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:56 pm

payne_bc wrote:
chilledpanda wrote: I rendered one without high pass, bit harder to tell (more noise), but looks like it doesn't seem to be inverted, if that makes any sense (but I'm possibly talking ollocks ;) ).
Yes I've seen that, too. But I am not having an explanation for it how the highpass could possible invert the signal (or cause such a jump) on release
definitely strange, definitely seems to be the HP though, stripping the sound back (remove matrix/noise etc) and swapping between the spline and additive you get the click. Don't envy you trying to find this one.

You could try creating a basic sound that does it (e.g. the bassdrum without noise, get rid of the randomness from the equation) and then try profiling the data/calculations by creating a large debug recording memory buffer in your vst to store/record your working dataset, the values that are input and those you calculate each frame, plus output(if the size would be too big then you could record a smaller set of values and then repeat with the next set and so on) look at trigger the recording on midi key off as this is when it occurs, dump the buffer it to a file to examine offline with a hex editor (or possibly write something to display it) as you would know the order/format of the dataset and then see if any erroneous values pop up each frame, might help you narrow it down. Plus this technique will help you in other like issues.

PS. wonder if it might be useful since you are in beta to display the version on the vst gui, useful for quick reference.

EDIT:
For an hex editor I use this http://www.hhdsoftware.com/free-hex-editor, it allows you display in double/floats as well as the usual.

EDIT 2:
Please note all above are only helpful suggestions as I know your time is limited :)

KVRian
738 posts since 20 Oct, 2003 from Seattle

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:58 am

So.. question. I managed to get Plugwire set up on my Mac. I can now use Windows VST instruments!

Sort of.

It takes a lot of witchcraft and fiddling with knobs and wires to get just one track set up. I don't think it's feasible to run multiple instances of Tunefish realtime through my DAW (hello latency). In any case, the way Plugwire gets Mac and Windows to play nice together is by creating a virtual network and making it think they are streaming over it. This means my project wont have anything other than midi-note-data (sending out over the 'network' and empty audio tracks (which return the audio). Freezing tracks isn't really an option either. The only way to capture the audio is to bounce it to a track. So my project file (in case it needs to be inspected) would really only be wavs and midi notes.

Does this disqualify me from participating?

Thanks guys.

KVRAF
2652 posts since 19 Dec, 2010 from North America

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:03 pm

jasinski wrote:So.. question. I managed to get Plugwire set up on my Mac. I can now use Windows VST instruments!

Sort of.

It takes a lot of witchcraft and fiddling with knobs and wires to get just one track set up. I don't think it's feasible to run multiple instances of Tunefish realtime through my DAW (hello latency). In any case, the way Plugwire gets Mac and Windows to play nice together is by creating a virtual network and making it think they are streaming over it. This means my project wont have anything other than midi-note-data (sending out over the 'network' and empty audio tracks (which return the audio). Freezing tracks isn't really an option either. The only way to capture the audio is to bounce it to a track. So my project file (in case it needs to be inspected) would really only be wavs and midi notes.

Thanks guys.
Sounds like you're legit!!! You're good to go captain.

Sampling specific parts like single drum hits, or synth chords, and duplicating that doesn't work.

KVRian

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:39 pm

sorry payne_bc

this is relevant if I am to share any patches from this OSC. Is anyone else experiencing this?
When I load a patch which I have previously saved into a new instance of tunefish the waveform is changed. Usually the points have moved a bit and the waveform flattened. (Also a few of the parameters may be slightly altered)

I have a couple of screenshots to demonstrate but don't know how to show them here so:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0xkfgl7xa13b5 ... hsave1.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/73b8kq7oab5sh ... hload1.jpg

When saving the project in cubase the parameters are all saved ok on the track. Its just the patches saved within tunefish

KVRAF
2029 posts since 29 Sep, 2011

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:43 pm

jasinski wrote:... Does this disqualify me from participating?
Anything that brings more Jasinski tracks to directly to my SoundCloud stream is allowed in my book! :)

KVRian
738 posts since 20 Oct, 2003 from Seattle

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:01 pm

I guess what I'm saying is I effectively can't show my work. Which if I understand the rules is required.

bjporter wrote:
jasinski wrote:So.. question. I managed to get Plugwire set up on my Mac. I can now use Windows VST instruments!

Sort of.

Thanks guys.

Sampling specific parts like single drum hits, or synth chords, and duplicating that doesn't work.

KVRAF
2652 posts since 19 Dec, 2010 from North America

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:02 pm

jasinski wrote:I guess what I'm saying is I effectively can't show my work. Which if I understand the rules is required.

bjporter wrote:

Sort of.

Thanks guys.

Just make some screenshots, gif video, screencast... etc? Still sounds fine to me. Presets + project file + wavs should be enough.

KVRAF
2029 posts since 29 Sep, 2011

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:08 pm

jasinski wrote:I guess what I'm saying is I effectively can't show my work. Which if I understand the rules is required.
Side note: is there a port of WINE to Mac? I run REAPER in Wine on Linux a lot of the time and overall it works great... It seemed that Live worked fine, too...
Maybe you could just run the Windows version of Live through WINE?

KVRist

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:22 pm

RichardSemper wrote:sorry payne_bc

this is relevant if I am to share any patches from this OSC. Is anyone else experiencing this?
When I load a patch which I have previously saved into a new instance of tunefish the waveform is changed. Usually the points have moved a bit and the waveform flattened. (Also a few of the parameters may be slightly altered)

I have a couple of screenshots to demonstrate but don't know how to show them here so:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0xkfgl7xa13b5 ... hsave1.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/73b8kq7oab5sh ... hload1.jpg

When saving the project in cubase the parameters are all saved ok on the track. Its just the patches saved within tunefish
Ouch! This is bad. But here I could reproduce this effect not by loading/saving but simply by switching oscillator points from 4 to 2. And I discovered that there is a bug in the spline evaluation and some data is not cleared correctly. Check out the fixed version and tell me what you get now.

http://www.tunefish-synth.com/beta12/vst24_tf3_x64.zip
http://www.tunefish-synth.com/beta12/vst24_tf3_x86.zip

EDIT: ah I only now saw the tiny changes in the knobs. Ok, so there is another problem there. I'll look at it.

KVRian

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:03 pm

payne_bc wrote:
RichardSemper wrote: When I load a patch which I have previously saved into a new instance of tunefish the waveform is changed. Usually the points have moved a bit and the waveform flattened. (Also a few of the parameters may be slightly altered)
Ouch! This is bad. But here I could reproduce this effect not by loading/saving but simply by switching oscillator points from 4 to 2. And I discovered that there is a bug in the spline evaluation and some data is not cleared correctly. Check out the fixed version and tell me what you get now.

http://www.tunefish-synth.com/beta12/vst24_tf3_x64.zip
http://www.tunefish-synth.com/beta12/vst24_tf3_x86.zip

EDIT: ah I only now saw the tiny changes in the knobs. Ok, so there is another problem there. I'll look at it.
woohoo! waveform behaving properly now. Still some parameters changing, its usually by only 1 point but noticed on delay, reverb, highpass, noise and detune.

Mighty quick work again :tu:

KVRer
11 posts since 1 Oct, 2013

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:20 pm

FYI Just tried Beta 12, 64 bit. Still not running fully in Ableton Live 9.0 64bit installed on Win8 64bit machine. Ableton is not able to automate any parameters other than device on or off.

KVRist

Post Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:25 am

2forks Pirana wrote:FYI Just tried Beta 12, 64 bit. Still not running fully in Ableton Live 9.0 64bit installed on Win8 64bit machine. Ableton is not able to automate any parameters other than device on or off.
Then maybe they should rename it to Unableton :D
Just kidding, is there a demoversion or something I could use to test?

EDIT: Ah yes I see there is. I'll check it out

Return to “Instruments”