'80s Simmons Drums - best synthesized (not samples) emulation VSTi?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Cinemascore
KVRist
90 posts since 28 Jan, 2005 from Orange County, CA

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:49 am

Hello all,

I've been doing a little research on what might be the best true synthesized (not using samples) emulation. Arturia's Spark Vintage claims a Simmons SDS V emulation through synthesis, but there are no audio demos of this kit that I can find to hear it. There was also a Reaktor ensemble that was being worked on a while ago that emulated a Simmons kit, but it seemed to never materialize.

Does anyone have any other ideas on a good drum synth that can faithfully emulate the '80s sound of Simmons drums without using samples?

The toms are most important to me, but kick and snare would be good, too.

Thanks!

User avatar
crimsonwarlock
KVRAF
1951 posts since 18 Apr, 2001 from At the boundaries of time

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:57 am

Not specifically Simmons but definitely '80s drum sounds: SQ8L.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin
Using: Reaper and loads of freeware plugins

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

User avatar
murnau
KVRAF
5563 posts since 13 Jan, 2005 from Arkham Asylum

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:58 am

before you spend money try out the excellent free 'simmons SDS-V'-style drum synth Hexagon 85.

http://marvinpavilion.ojaru.jp/en/sound/vst.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hcjJOkGKlg
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

User avatar
discoDSP
KVRAF
3651 posts since 18 Jul, 2002

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:14 am

Both Discovery and Discovery Pro have a interesting percussion sound bank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9vyY6o4lAI
discoDSP Plug-Ins | Synths | Sampler | Effects

xoxos
Mr Entertainment
12018 posts since 30 Apr, 2002 from i might peeramid

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:16 am

aren't simmons electroacoustic, meaning that an emulation would be required to model a resonant plate (at least.. and cabinet) which is more or less in the realm of "clever tricks* may sound similar but maybe next decade" - high performance 2d models** are cpu prohibitive for daws, i'd expect you could run a few realtime on multicores, but not enough to be marketable as a vst, especially not with an output up to 22kHz.

* eg. modal synthesis
** eg. meshes
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha xoxos.net free vst. neither a follower nor a leader be
tagore "where roads are made i lose my way"
where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

User avatar
Aloysius
KVRAF
22089 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from a computer

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:19 am

murnau wrote:before you spend money try out the excellent free 'simmons SDS-V'-style drum synth Hexagon 85.
Sounds extremely good. \m/
I didn't get where I am today ...

sinkmusic
KVRAF
6148 posts since 28 Apr, 2004 from france

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:25 am

Drumatic4 ?
Image

Cinemascore
KVRist
90 posts since 28 Jan, 2005 from Orange County, CA

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:24 pm

Aloysius wrote:
murnau wrote:before you spend money try out the excellent free 'simmons SDS-V'-style drum synth Hexagon 85.
Sounds extremely good. \m/
I agree - very impressive. Thanks for the heads up on this one, murnau!
Last edited by Cinemascore on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cinemascore
KVRist
90 posts since 28 Jan, 2005 from Orange County, CA

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:26 pm

sinkmusic wrote:Drumatic4 ?
I knew about Drumatic, but it's online audio demos didn't suggest much of that "Simmons" flavor, especially in the toms area. I need to download the demo VSTi and see if it comes close. It's synthesized thats for sure, and that's what I'm looking for. Thanks, sinkmusic!

User avatar
spacedad
KVRAF
4739 posts since 26 Apr, 2002 from the bogely factory

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:57 pm

xoxos wrote:aren't simmons electroacoustic, meaning that an emulation would be required to model a resonant plate (at least.. and cabinet) which is more or less in the realm of "clever tricks* may sound similar but maybe next decade" - high performance 2d models** are cpu prohibitive for daws, i'd expect you could run a few realtime on multicores, but not enough to be marketable as a vst, especially not with an output up to 22kHz.

* eg. modal synthesis
** eg. meshes
you gave the 'wrong' answer!
should have said 'give bong a try,it's not a simmons emu,but it's a bloody good drum synth,and it may get close! ;)

User avatar
RunBeerRun
KVRAF
7894 posts since 2 Aug, 2005 from Guitar Land, USA

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:25 pm

Aren't the Marvin ones a mix of synths and samples? Don't know which was which, he released like 500 plugins.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

xoxos
Mr Entertainment
12018 posts since 30 Apr, 2002 from i might peeramid

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:18 pm

spacedad wrote: you gave the 'wrong' answer!
you're right! the 'correct' answer is that about a month to two months ago, a kvr member posted a thread begging to record live drum parts for people. he had (and has youtube videos demoing) two simmons kits (and sd5 and sd7 if i remember the #s correctly).

:)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha xoxos.net free vst. neither a follower nor a leader be
tagore "where roads are made i lose my way"
where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

User avatar
b15fliptop
KVRist
343 posts since 5 Jan, 2007

Post Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:31 am

If you've got Kontakt, Hollow Sun has the HSDV.

http://www.hollowsun.com/HS2/products/hsdv/index.htm

User avatar
arkmabat
KVRAF
3595 posts since 6 Nov, 2009

Post Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:54 am

RunBeerRun wrote:Aren't the Marvin ones a mix of synths and samples? Don't know which was which, he released like 500 plugins.
As far as I can tell, the drum hits are synth and the cymbals are samples.

Guckli
KVRist
331 posts since 24 Mar, 2002 from Denmark

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:05 am

arkmabat wrote:
RunBeerRun wrote:Aren't the Marvin ones a mix of synths and samples? Don't know which was which, he released like 500 plugins.
As far as I can tell, the drum hits are synth and the cymbals are samples.
As they are on a real SDSV. Most SDSVs were sold without the hihat and cymbal modules btw.

Return to “Instruments”