Drop it like it's hot

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Guys,
I'm working on a new track and I really need some feedback.
I'm pretty proud of the result so far, but it needs something extra.
i've tried adding a second melody with another synth but it gets real messy real quick... so maybe you guys can help me out with this!

(btw don't be to hard on me,, i'm producing for about 7 months now so i'm still a beginner;))

https://soundcloud.com/maarten-pool/percussive

This is a very good rhythm track. Varied and well produced.

On the downside, the only thing happening here is rhythm. Just drums and the bass always on the same note. So what's missing is a bit of melody and chord changes. I suggest getting a keyboard and learning to play a bit. It's a slow process but you can always fix things up later in the sequencer.

A more immediate way to finish this track would be to throw a variety of samples and synth noises over the top arranged in an interesting way to take the place of a melody.

"Drop It Like It's Hot" was a big hit for Snoop Dogg a while back. I suggest getting a title and samples that sound fresh and original.

Frantz wrote:This is a very good rhythm track. Varied and well produced.

On the downside, the only thing happening here is rhythm. Just drums and the bass always on the same note. So what's missing is a bit of melody and chord changes. I suggest getting a keyboard and learning to play a bit. It's a slow process but you can always fix things up later in the sequencer.

A more immediate way to finish this track would be to throw a variety of samples and synth noises over the top arranged in an interesting way to take the place of a melody.

"Drop It Like It's Hot" was a big hit for Snoop Dogg a while back. I suggest getting a title and samples that sound fresh and original.
thnx! I'll work on that!

100 views and 1 reaction...
please people! I want this track to be cool! so i need feedback!!!

I agree with Frantz.

Needs more variation and builds. Too linear as it is.

The easiest thing in production is to get singularly focused on one part and work the whole track around that.
Try creating different loops of the bars and stack them in your daw, try experimenting with other sounds, effects and samples see where it takes you.

Got potential jsut needs the Thwack and Whoosh factor (a good name there).

MFXxx wrote:I agree with Frantz.

Needs more variation and builds. Too linear as it is.

The easiest thing in production is to get singularly focused on one part and work the whole track around that.
Try creating different loops of the bars and stack them in your daw, try experimenting with other sounds, effects and samples see where it takes you.

Got potential jsut needs the Thwack and Whoosh factor (a good name there).
Surely too much thwacking leads to whoosh.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I'd also echo the comments above.
What you have so far is fantastic, but it just isn't a track yet.
It's a great base but needs more.

Definitely keep at this one though :tu:

thnx guys! i totally agree with what your saying but i tried a lot of the given feedback already... do you maybe have some examples of sounds what you think would fit in...
cause i tried adding screeches, wobbles, extra lead synth, talking synths... but it al turns out shit....

It hard to deconstruct and reconstruct a track...sometimes it's facing the inevitable like extracting a splinter.

The whole track is nicely produced and it's not bad. Sense you are trying to hard.

What Daw do you use and what are the sounds from ie midi loops, samples and are they constructed in bars and phrases.

Try to sub dive what you have.

What I do in work flow is start of with a simple idea.
Loop each track and build upon these loops, so I might start with a beat on track 1, bass on 2, synth on 3, samples on track 4.
Keep looping and then add additional tracks with parts that fit in with some or all of a combination of the other tracks.
From here I mute everything and copy the bars/measures across for approximately 4-6 minutes worth of music.
I then start to build the track by unmuting parts as it plays back. Keep doing this and see what works.

Eventually I'll have a varied 6 minute track. Then start deleting sections to shorten it (this is hard).
The do some micro edits and layers.
Eventually I will focus on the actual mixdown.

All along I am listening to the music and interaction of sounds, tweaking as i go.

I see music as the bulding blocks of a house, buidl, then sculpture, eventually plaster on and finally paint and polish.

But that's how I work. ...and I am no genius as you can see from my results :)

Just enjoy it, it will come.

I just listened to it again and I'm constantly waiting for a storming lead line to come in.
I'm thinking something brutal and Pendulum like. Alternating regularly from brutality to what you have now would work wonders on this I think.

Frantz wrote:"Drop It Like It's Hot" was a big hit for Snoop Dogg a while back.
you can hear Snoop at 0:56 so he's aware of that :)

imo all this really needs is some deep and aggressive bass, with good simple lines.
leads could be cool as well but fat saturated bass is the essential thing missing

good start!

MFXxx wrote:What Daw do you use and what are the sounds from ie midi loops, samples and are they constructed in bars and phrases.
Thnx for the feedback!
i'm using Logic, and most of my sounds are made in massive, i try not to use any samples or presets from the internet. cause i want to make them myself;)

Return to “Music Cafe”