Please add some sort of hot swap functionality

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hours spent browsing through and trying out different samples could be fractioned with the simple ability to hot-swap samples or plugins.

Say I add an audio file to a drum rack. In the sampler plugin, It would speed things up for everyone immensely if I there was a button that just cycles to the next sample in the folder which the sample came from. Rather than having to drag and drop a hundred different options to try them out....
Last edited by nechronics on Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yep, I'd like a hot swap too. Dragging is such a drag. Live's hot swap is ok, but it doesn't work on audio outside of a sampler. If Bitwig do one for samples it would be great if it worked on audio on tracks and in the Launcher as well.

You can swap in both DAWs in the file manager, but then in neither DAW does it update the sample name, plus it's still a lot of messing about compared to hotswap.
Studio One, OS X 10.0, M-Audio Oxygen 25 keyboard.
Old websites:
http://www.bitwigtutorials.net Free Bitwig Studio tutorials
http://www.macableton.com Free Ableton Live and Mac tutorials.

Ya, Ableton went halfway there with the concept, but I'd like to see Bitwig get it right.

Right click the little arrow on bottom left On instruments to see presets. Not full hot swap but better than dragging.
Jared F

I would prefer prefer a prev / next button somewhere in the sampler myself or a sampler selector to make the infamous "128's"

+1 on some type of hot swap mode.

toby wrote:I would prefer prefer a prev / next button somewhere in the sampler myself or a sampler selector to make the infamous "128's"
That's exactly what I'm referring to. I used to do the whole 128's thing with drum racks until discovering Steve Duda's Nerve, which got it right on the money. Take a cue from his book as it makes everyone's life easier.

In the same way you have left and right arrows for presets, just place the same kind of arrows in the sampler window which cycles through samples of a folder, allowing you to audition different variations in the context of your mix on the fly.

+1 For sample hotswapping.
"You can learn anything if you put the time in, only difference is some people are faster learners than others...DEAL WITH IT"

+1 for this one!

+1

We were talking about this in another thread, so I'll repost my idea from there that I really like:
Ogopogo wrote:
Afable702 wrote:A sample selector would be really nice. This would allow the creation of "128s".
I think bitwig may be able to do something better than this with some tweaks to how tagging works and hot swap ability.

If you had the ability to use custom tags on your samples, and you could set up the tags you want to use on your sampler, then you could use hot swap to browse through all of your samples with those tags that your have in your browser. So just set up a sampler with "snare" or "Kick/deep" tags and then you have access to everything, beyond 128, and even new stuff automatically when you tag it.

Don't you have your samples categorized in folders anyway? I have distinct folders for everything.

His idea goes beyond that though. You load a kick into a sampler and set it to Kick, then just have two buttons that cycle forward and backward through all samples in your library that are tagged as kicks, regardless of where they are located. A third button for random would also be great.

I personally don't care how they implement just so long as they can stick two buttons on the sampler device that cycle samples into the sampler. I absolutely hate having a folder of 100 different percussion instruments and having to drag and drop each one into the sampler during playback to hear what they all sound like inside my mix.

sash92 wrote:Don't you have your samples categorized in folders anyway? I have distinct folders for everything.
Well, I haven't got around to that yet since I downloaded a huge amount of free stuff from the net so it would kind of be a pain.

But with the tagging method instead of folder method, the bonus is that you can put something into multiple categories, and refine or open up what you are looking through at will. You are not locked into a few categories; you call up whatever stuff that has the properties you are thinking of.

So if you are looking through your kicks and you decide that you need a deep kick, add the tag "deep," and now your are only cycling through those. Not possible with folders unless you want your deep kicks in a separate folder that you would have to browse separately. Or you could decide you want something miced, from drum machines, or a specfic drum machine, or vinyl, or out of whatever categories it makes sense for you to tag your drums. Then select as many as you want like deep, long decay, synth kick or whatever.

Then there might be instances where you aren't sure exactly what you want, so you could just browse through a more vague tag like "misc percussion" that could include shakers or bells or whatever you have added, but without losing the ability to just browse through your shakers if want.

This is kind of how I imagined everything working when I heard of the "metadata based" browser, and how I would like all preset browsing in bitwig to be. You could replace the category and creator areas in the preset selector with the ability to just define whatever you want, and tag all your presets however you want.

this is biggest reason i still use battery4.
one click prev/ next button.
i've always wonder why ableton didn't implement this. (and now bitwig)
maybe there is some kind of copy right???? i don't understand this.
drag 100samples=finger pain=almost unusuable, hot swap is ok , one click prev/next button is better, if bitwig can pull it off with qwerty keyboard, it'd be best!!

Ogopogo wrote: So if you are looking through your kicks and you decide that you need a deep kick, add the tag "deep," and now your are only cycling through those. Not possible with folders unless you want your deep kicks in a separate folder that you would have to browse separately. Or you could decide you want something miced, from drum machines, or a specfic drum machine, or vinyl, or out of whatever categories it makes sense for you to tag your drums. Then select as many as you want like deep, long decay, synth kick or whatever.

Then there might be instances where you aren't sure exactly what you want, so you could just browse through a more vague tag like "misc percussion" that could include shakers or bells or whatever you have added, but without losing the ability to just browse through your shakers if want.
THIS IS GREAT IDEA!

i organize sample by company name then copy some to categorized folder like "kick" ...
so it double the hard space. limiting category. :help:

tag method solve all of these problems.

there MUST be a easy way to batch tag though.
will be very painful and time consuming if i have to tag 10000000000000000 samples one by one.
of course some samples should be treated one by one thoug
for example , i can tag whole kick folder "kick" by batch process,
then listen sample one by one and add different tag to few special sample indivisually.
indivisual way should be easy too.
made a loop clip to play sample.
i click prev/next/random button while pop up tag window is still open. and change and save tag right away with no asking "save name"

hope i can create tag name too. something like "edm" "hip hop" etc...

this'd be sample categorizing heaven lol
anyway great idea! :clap:
praying bitwig to implement this~ :hail:

Return to “Bitwig”