Fabfilter synth plugs, worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Numanoid
KVRAF
25895 posts since 20 Jan, 2008 from a star near where you are

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:33 am

With the anniversary sale, both Twin and One is 40% off :)

But I wonder if they still are a bit pricey? Twin 2 is now at €79 ($110) and One is €29 ($40).

If you had a choice between One or for example Retrologue ($50), what would you choose?

tehlord
KVRAF
7874 posts since 22 Sep, 2008 from Windsor. UK

Re: Fabfilter synth plugs, worth it?

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:41 am

I bought Twin 2 a couple of years ago and could never get on with it. It doesn't really offer anything you can't find in other plugins, although the modulation is pretty good.

I also can't stand the GUI. I usually adore the Fabfilter GUI, but Twin2 and Volcano just annoy me for being a little too abstract.

Numanoid
KVRAF

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:03 am

Looking back it seems Fabfilter One only cost €5 during their 5 years celebration in 2009 :o

I guess then everybody owns it, except me :oops:

kelvyn
KVRian
1077 posts since 9 Mar, 2008 from netherlands

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:11 am

Try it first!

I personally think it's great and although it's no Sylenth or Diva it has a deserved place in my collection.

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12921 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:41 am

I think some of the Fabfilter stuff is getting a bit dated and is as such overpriced to begin with...
I remember demoing Twin a year or two ago, but didn't like the interface at all...

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
12996 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:44 am

Worth it at 1.67 times current prices.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

4damind
KVRAF
4880 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:45 am

"Twin" sounds a bit "cheesy" and I don't like the interface. Found it never interesting enough to buy it.
The other Fabfilter stuff is very good but you ask for the synth.. and so... IMO they are not worth it.

Numanoid
KVRAF

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:46 am

fluffy_little_something wrote:I think some of the Fabfilter stuff is getting a bit dated and is as such overpriced to begin with...
+1

Twin 2 is something like $180 at regular price, that's a lot in the market now, could almost get Diva or Zebra for that amount.

EnGee
KVRAF
5726 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from NZ

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:57 am

For me they are overpriced synths even with the discount! Fabfilter One should be free by now (like firebird).
Twin2 has a nice GUI and design though. But if you don't need that design, then you can get Retrologue+padshop synths together for $100 (without a discount!). This is a much better value then the discounted Twin 2 IMO.
I already have Retrologue and Padshop pro and they are great synths. They are from my favourite synths and they can do much much more sounds for me than Twin2. It might be a different case for you, so demo them ;-)
Let's donate to help the kids and save our planet.

Sendy
KVRAF
5230 posts since 20 Jul, 2010

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:51 am

I like One for it's blistering simplicity and unique filter. Before the likes of Diva and the wave of realistic VA's that surrounded and followed it, Fabfilter had some of the best filters out there. In Twin, with the addition of sync, ringmodulation and PWM, you can hear things getting a bit hairy with the lack of good antialiasing sometimes. By now we are somewhat expecting alias-free oscillators, even in the high notes with coarse modulations, so that dates the package somewhat.

The filters are indeed quite good, but the different filter characteristics (of which there are around 10 or so) aren't really very different from eachother, mostly changing the tone of the resonance slightly, and then only at high resonance settings is it really noticable.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

cyphersuit
KVRAF
2177 posts since 12 Nov, 2009

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:59 am

Pro-MB, Pro-L, Pro-Q and Saturn are those, i would not want to live without. Got the others too.
Finally!

Numanoid
KVRAF

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:59 am

Demoing FF1

Positives:
Support for lots of formats, 32 bits, 64 bits, vst2, vst3, aax, pc, mac
100+ Patches
Very easy to get into and hands on.

Negatives:
The factory bank sounds come across rather dated (the orchestral patches are horrendous, Casio VL-1 like), just tweaking a bit can quickly make more interesting sounds
Too basic functions, a sub osc to be able to make bottom heavy basses and leads would be good

The plug would have got a lot more usable if it also could function as an audio processor, that would have been a big plus, but no FX plug is included unfortunately

Tricky-Loops
KVRAF
9462 posts since 12 Mar, 2012 from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:14 am

Couldn't convince me to buy it... :shrug:

Their effects are much better! :tu:

Kaboom75
KVRAF
1736 posts since 4 Sep, 2011

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:54 am

Grab PRO-L while it's cheap its the best loudness maximizer and covers all types of music. Volcano also superb.

Touch The Universe
KVRAF
3928 posts since 2 Oct, 2008

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:57 am

Usually people complain that a synth only sound good cause its internal fx sounds good but ironically one of the best fx plugin developers can't create a good one imo with all there arsenal of fx to choose from?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

Return to “Instruments”